Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 9, 2017, 09:33 RedEye9

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 07:39:
Beamer wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 17:11:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 16:56:
NKD wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 20:00:
OpticNerve wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 18:58:
Humanity's fucked up the world enough as it is and our civilization is run and controlled by greedy, corrupt, and tribal war-mongers who will never come together to save our own asses if it comes down to it.

A lot less greedy, corrupt, and tribal than we were 1000, or 100 years ago at least.

Less greedy and corrupt? Are you reading the same news I read the past week? Paradise Papers? Gilded Age? Blackrock? Apple defends not paying taxes? etc.? Corruption and greed are alive and well.

100 years ago the person operating Blackrock or any other shadow bank would have been (potentially rightfully) shot/hanged, now? Now they are to big to fail and go free no matter how vast the destruction is that they cause.

And geo politically I would even have to contest your claim that tribalism went down. For some countries in the west it's true, but globally that is probably a bit more complicated. There are at least 40 armed conflicts currently, massive migration movements and nationalism spawning everywhere. I call that a rise of tribalism, depending on how you'd define it.

Have you read The Jungle?

Were still greedy, corrupt, and tribal, but less so.

It's on my near endless list of things I got to read at some point. Would reading it change my opinion considering the things I mentioned? If yes then that would be a priority read
It's a good work of fiction, but it won't change anyone's mind.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 9, 2017, 07:39 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 17:11:
Humanity's fucked up the world enough as it is and our civilization is run and controlled by greedy, corrupt, and tribal war-mongers who will never come together to save our own asses if it comes down to it.

A lot less greedy, corrupt, and tribal than we were 1000, or 100 years ago at least.

Less greedy and corrupt? Are you reading the same news I read the past week? Paradise Papers? Gilded Age? Blackrock? Apple defends not paying taxes? etc.? Corruption and greed are alive and well.

100 years ago the person operating Blackrock or any other shadow bank would have been (potentially rightfully) shot/hanged, now? Now they are to big to fail and go free no matter how vast the destruction is that they cause.

And geo politically I would even have to contest your claim that tribalism went down. For some countries in the west it's true, but globally that is probably a bit more complicated. There are at least 40 armed conflicts currently, massive migration movements and nationalism spawning everywhere. I call that a rise of tribalism, depending on how you'd define it.

It's on my near endless list of things I got to read at some point. Would reading it change my opinion considering the things I mentioned? If yes then that would be a priority read

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 8, 2017, 17:11 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 8, 2017, 16:56 eRe4s3r

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 8, 2017, 09:26 eRe4s3r

KS wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 14:46:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 11:01:
I don't see what Hawking is worried about, firstly he is not gonna experience it no matter what, and secondly the end of our civilization would be a good thing.

Not necessarily. If he is buried and his neural net brain survives with links and so on relatively intact, it is possible for a technological resurrection using nanotech. Not particularly likely, but possible.

And rewarding such folks with healthy bodies might be seen as all but a moral imperative to those in that world.

Death may even be something impossible to achieve permanently, depending on the tech and number of people.

of course intentions will be something to consider in that case though and I sure wouldn't want to be resurrected against my will, because let's face it, without an AI that creates paradise for us and prevents us, defiantly and for eternity, from destroying it, we are going to destroy this planet and our society, capitalism is already on a good way doing this. The only way we as human species are going survive in more than caves and plant cloths is if we develop advanced AI and give it the ability and power to shape our environment. If it wants to kill us then it's only speeding up the inevitable, and if not, then we might have found paradise through technology and saved ourselves from certain doom.

And Hawkings, much like Elon Musk, are not AI developers so I always take their opinions on AI with 50 grains of salt. Understanding physics of a black hole does not make you a good oracle on future tech.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 7, 2017, 20:00 NKD

The solution to the toxicity of identity politics surely isn't to add white identity politics to the mix.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 7, 2017, 18:59 Beamer

Lot of self-loathing here.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 7, 2017, 18:58 OpticNerve

Meh. We deserve extinction. A world run by Skynet can't possibly be any worse at this point.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 7, 2017, 16:04 Cutter

By that rationale AI could save our world too. Personally I'm all for it. If it doesn't create the breakthroughs and help we need in all facets of life we're doomed anyway.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 7, 2017, 14:46 KS

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 11:01:
I don't see what Hawking is worried about, firstly he is not gonna experience it no matter what, and secondly the end of our civilization would be a good thing.

Not necessarily. If he is buried and his neural net brain survives with links and so on relatively intact, it is possible for a technological resurrection using nanotech. Not particularly likely, but possible.

And rewarding such folks with healthy bodies might be seen as all but a moral imperative to those in that world.

Death may even be something impossible to achieve permanently, depending on the tech and number of people.

3. Re: Stephen Hawking AI Nov 7, 2017, 12:47 UttiniDaKilrJawa

Not if we do it first.  

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 7, 2017, 12:01 ForgedReality

Don't worry, Stephen. We'll be long-extinct before that ever happens.  

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 7, 2017, 11:01 eRe4s3r

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo