Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges

Beta News notes an interesting tidbit picked up from the latest Steam Hardware & Software Survey (thanks [H]ardOCP), showing Windows 7 usage surging at the expense of Windows 10. They also seem to have zeroed in on the cause of this shift, noting a large uptick in Chinese users on Steam which seems to correlate pretty closely with the OS change. Here's word:

The latest stats from Steam show Windows 10 shedding a massive 17.38 percentage points, to give it 28.6 percent share. (The 64-bit version accounts for 28.23 percent, and the 32-bit version adds a tiny 0.37 percent).

Meanwhile, Windows 7 has gained a whopping 21.47 percentage points in the same month, climbing to 65.46 percent (63.60 percent for the 64-bit build, and 1.86 percent for the 32-bit edition).

You could be forgiven for thinking that Steam has made a mistake here, or that gamers are turning their backs on Windows 10 in huge numbers, but it seems likely that at least a sizable portion of the change can be attributed to China's influence.

According to the Language section of Steam’s survey, Simplified Chinese surged 26.83 percentage points to 56.37 percent in October, while English fell 13.40 percentage points to 21.24 percent. It seems reasonable, therefore, to assume that Chinese gamers running Windows 7 are responsible for much of the shift we’re seeing here. There's no official word from Steam on this yet.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

23. Re: Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges Nov 6, 2017, 15:11 Slashman

jdreyer wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 14:44:
Beamer wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 13:13:

I don't have a horse in this - I buy the product that is best at the price point I have budgeted. If I want to spend $350 on my GPU I buy the best GPU at that price point. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone does anything else - why people care about the brand rather than the price point. These things are completely commoditized at this point. If you have $200 to spend on a CPU, and Intel offers better performance for that but you buy AMD anyway (or vice versa), you just made a bad purchase.
Human beings are tribal and want to feel part of the "in" group. That often means buying the "winning" product.

I'm *gasp* agreeing with Beamer here. For me personally, AMD has historically had the most issues with new game releases and I have no interest in waiting for the inevitable "AMD GPU patch" to make the game playable. I sit squarely in the midrange arena and generally the X60 nVida GPUs have been serving me quite nicely for years.

Pretty much the same with CPUs. Been satisfied with i5 performance for almost a decade and AMD hasn't given me anything to desire in that range for a long while. I don't do much CPU upgrades anyway.

For sure there is no way I'm ever going to buy a piece of hardware to "stick it to the man" at the expense of my gaming comfort.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges Nov 6, 2017, 15:04 Cutter

Angrius Maximis wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 12:49:
who the hell still uses windows 7?

Uh lots of us because we give a shit about our privacy. Only idiots use Win10 willingly.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 6, 2017, 14:54 Mordecai Walfish

I dual boot both of my PC's with windows 7/10, and mainly use windows 7 still. I don't want to use 3rd party programs to fix their shitty start menu nor deal with the pre-installed shit that comes with 10. Waiting to see if perhaps 10 will add more functionality for changing/removing many if it's integrated bs, but I'm not holding my breath and i'm completely happy with windows 7 still. I'll be ready for the end of support for 7 with the 10 install, but I'm not in any rush to use it.

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."

20. Re: Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges Nov 6, 2017, 14:44 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 13:13:

I don't have a horse in this - I buy the product that is best at the price point I have budgeted. If I want to spend $350 on my GPU I buy the best GPU at that price point. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone does anything else - why people care about the brand rather than the price point. These things are completely commoditized at this point. If you have $200 to spend on a CPU, and Intel offers better performance for that but you buy AMD anyway (or vice versa), you just made a bad purchase.
Human beings are tribal and want to feel part of the "in" group. That often means buying the "winning" product.

Stay a while, and listen.

19. Re: Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges Nov 6, 2017, 14:36 Wallshadows

It'll be interesting when the B and H series boards release for Coffee Lake. The i5-8400 is just too much of a bargain in general even when factoring in the premium costs of a Z series board so imagine how much more appealing it'll be when you can cut back another $30-$40 without having to pay the Ryzen RAM tax.

I mean, in theory anyway. Coffee Lake stock is pretty dismal.

If Zen+ is only going to provide single-digit boosts to IPC and clock speed then they might have to make another round of price adjustments to look more appealing until they can refine and shrink to 7nm with Zen 2.

18. Re: Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges Nov 6, 2017, 14:33 jdreyer

Flatline wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 13:02:

Most of the business world TBH. Windows 10 in the enterprise is a nightmare. It's *still* not HIPAA compliant and probably never will be at this rate. When Windows 7 EOLs there's going to be a crisis in the healthcare industry in America. Either that or our HIPAA laws will get gutted.

I'm curious how it's not HIPAA compliant? I work for BCBS and we'll be rolling out W10 next year. I'm not involved with the planning, but will be involved with the implementation.

Stay a while, and listen.

17. Re: Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges Nov 6, 2017, 13:59 fawker

read a thread on reddit that claims win 7 surge is from a mass influx of chinese players coming for pubg  

16. Re: Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges Nov 6, 2017, 13:47 Fletch

I do. No interest in Windows 10. Windows 7 is fast and stable and does everything I want it to do very well. I skipped ME, 98 (got 98SE), Vista, and 8 as well.

15. Re: Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges Nov 6, 2017, 13:36 FloorPie

I'm still not sure why people take the steam surveys very seriously apart from maybe the OS stats.  

14. Re: Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges Nov 6, 2017, 13:31 Verno

Slashman wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 10:44:
Dacote wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 10:26:
Faking Windows 10 activations must be more difficult than sevens. Thanks Microsoft.

It's basically this. There are cracks for Windows 7 that allow updates etc and no require no re-authentication. I don't think these exist for Windows 10.

You're right, most of the activation hacks spoof a local activation server response. That said they are pretty much painless to use nowadays.

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

12. Re: Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges Nov 6, 2017, 13:13 Beamer

Ozmodan wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 12:57:
Yeah, Win 7 is easy to fake an updateable ID. A lot of the maleware that works with Win 7 doesn't with Win 10.

The place where I get all my parts is almost 2 to 1 Ryzen over Intel cpus for computer builds and most of those people are gamers.

As to AMD GPUs, they cannot make enough of them.

So I laugh at anyone saying AMD is dying.

No one is saying it is dying, but people are saying that, factually, they got creamed from 2016 to 2017.

Yes, part of that is they're hard to find. Part of that is that, prior to Ryzen, they were generally bad buys and Ryzen was only out for part of this, so anyone building before Ryzen was almost definitely not going AMD.

But they got crushed, make no mistake. And stock issues don't really fix that, because that's money going to competitors, not them.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges Nov 6, 2017, 13:02 Flatline

Most of the business world TBH. Windows 10 in the enterprise is a nightmare. It's *still* not HIPAA compliant and probably never will be at this rate. When Windows 7 EOLs there's going to be a crisis in the healthcare industry in America. Either that or our HIPAA laws will get gutted.

That isn't even getting into the enforced upgrade tracks that you *have* to take with Win10. Their enforced update track is kind of insane and basically insists that you devote large amounts of resources in an enterprise environment to compatibility verification.

Their actual stance on the compatibility issues this will introduce into businesses is that the pain will encourage faster adoption and that wide-scale breakage of business-centric programs should just be expected and planned for.

10. Re: Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges Nov 6, 2017, 12:57 Ozmodan

Yeah, Win 7 is easy to fake an updateable ID. A lot of the maleware that works with Win 7 doesn't with Win 10.

The place where I get all my parts is almost 2 to 1 Ryzen over Intel cpus for computer builds and most of those people are gamers.

As to AMD GPUs, they cannot make enough of them.

So I laugh at anyone saying AMD is dying.

9. Re: Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges Nov 6, 2017, 12:52 eRe4s3r

Pepe wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 12:40:
Given that AMD sells more GPU's to miners then gamers that should not be surprising, AMD cards are overpriced due to demand and hard to find.

Considering I had to actually go Intel/Nvidia exactly because of that reason this is probably very true. I got a really nice package deal for the I5 8400 and decent Asus board for 300€ and 1700 Ryzen would have cost that just for the CPU (and yeah, this upgrade forced me to Windows 10)

Equally I had to go 1070 GTX because NONE of the stores that I looked at had a decent AMD gpu deliverable within 6 weeks. I needed my system STAT so I picked what my price point was. 500€ for a GPU and the gpu is pretty damn great, runs Wolfenstein II at nearly 110 fps, 144fps on a 144hz screen if I set the details to high and that feels REALLY nice. Never would have expected that this could make such a different to how a game feels... dang, I have to replay Doom ^^

8. Re: Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges Nov 6, 2017, 12:49 Angrius Maximis

7. Re: Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges Nov 6, 2017, 12:40 Pepe

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 11:43:
Nobody talking about the other interesting shifts?

AMD lost major market share in both GPU and CPU statistics. In GPU's Nvidia now dominates with 81% (May 2016 56%) for a massive gain of 25% and in CPU Intel dominates with 90% (May 2016 78%)

This means Nvidia and Intel dominate in China. And this would explain why analysts already dig the grave for AMD.... Steam is a pretty strong indicator on what is where with gaming on PC. And 80% GPU market share for Nvidia and 90% CPU market share for Intel is kinda scary

Given that AMD sells more GPU's to miners then gamers that should not be surprising, AMD cards are overpriced due to demand and hard to find.

6. Re: Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges Nov 6, 2017, 12:08 HoSpanky

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 11:43:

AMD lost major market share in both GPU and CPU statistics. In GPU's Nvidia now dominates with 81% (May 2016 56%) for a massive gain of 25% and in CPU Intel dominates with 90% (May 2016 78%)

This means Nvidia and Intel dominate in China. And this would explain why analysts already dig the grave for AMD.... Steam is a pretty strong indicator on what is where with gaming on PC. And 80% GPU market share for Nvidia and 90% CPU market share for Intel is kinda scary

Well, it’s not terribly surprising. Ryzen chips are amazing for tasks that AREN’T gaming. For games, a quad-core 7700k is still king, since games still lean heavily on single-thread performance. AMD’s new video cards can almost keep up with Nvidia’s 1080, but they’re no cheaper and their power usage is insanity. That’s not even considering VR, where Nvidia has an absurd runaway lead on performance in both of the popular VR-capable game engines. AMD’s pricing isn’t significantly lower anymore, so they’ve lost their cheap-build advantage.

As for the win7/win10 thing, Dacote likely nailed the reason for it. China’s complete disregard for IP is built into their society.

5. Re: Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges Nov 6, 2017, 11:43 eRe4s3r

4. Re: Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges Nov 6, 2017, 10:44 Slashman

Dacote wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 10:26:
Faking Windows 10 activations must be more difficult than sevens. Thanks Microsoft.

It's basically this. There are cracks for Windows 7 that allow updates etc and no require no re-authentication. I don't think these exist for Windows 10.

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo