Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Tech Bits

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Nov 6, 2017, 11:10 Creston

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 5, 2017, 17:12:
Ok I'm gonna counter-point ya Creston. I've been using computer since the good old Ti-994a, can pretty much troubleshoot all my software/hardware and am pretty intuitive when it comes to software.
But you have NO CLUE how much I'd love to get a bunch of Blue'sers to come to Amazon and just help them work out the GUI/Streamline some of the software we use. Thankfully we use windows 7/10 (depending if you begged enough to get a non-shitty laptop at work), but we also use Zebra TC5 scanners for just about everything (if you ever go to a Amazon pick-up drop-off you'll even see them there) and they are horrible outdated android phones with a scanner.
So back to the doctor..... I have seen offices that use a combo DOS system and Windows, that after watching them use it for years (when I donated plasma twice a week for years...) that makes my asshole pucker up due to all the key combo's etc they have to use.
Now throw in say a more modern hospital that has digital files of ultra sounds, MRI's scans etc it can be very daunting. Hell even my ex the head of a hospital Cath Lab unit had to take a 3 week course when they went 80-90% digital.
But we also know that digital files are like the internet. You may screw up something, and catch/fix it later but once it's out there it's out there. So I agree with you and the others that someone who can potential kill you by accidentally giving you a 10mg perscription giving you 20mg (or worse) is not a good thing.

I'm honestly not quite sure what point you're trying to make, bud. That some programs are a bitch to use? Sure, I'm not denying that, but if you work with them enough, you'll eventually learn how to use them. And if you don't have time for that, then do what every other doctor in the world does, and hire someone to do it for you.

I do tech support for a doctor here in town, and he has an office manager who basically does all the computer stuff for him. Not because he doesn't know how to (he does), but because he just doesn't have the time.

84 year old woman can bitch and moan as much as she wants, but her entire argument boils down to "I am old, I shouldn't have to learn shit I don't want to learn."

Sure, you don't, if you're unemployed. But if you want to be a doctor, then you do. And if you can't do it, then hire someone else to do it, or stop being a doctor.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Nov 5, 2017, 19:49 jacobvandy

I'm astonished there are people who've lasted long enough in medicine to be referred to as an "elderly doctor" with zero computer skills... She can't be the only one, and that's scary because without a computer, how are you learning new things about your constantly-evolving field of study? Is that why she has no time to learn how to use the internet, she spends all her off-time driving around to attend seminars and poring over whatever printed publications she can find? Her patients must be as old and out of touch as she is to not see the problem there. Well, apparently a few of them aren't, since they're the ones who filed complaints. I'm sorry, but this is the type of situation where forced retirement is the safe and sane thing to do.  

7. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Nov 5, 2017, 17:12 The Half Elf

Creston wrote on Nov 5, 2017, 13:02:
I still come across the occasional user who goes "I just don't know how to use these dangfangled computers hahaha!"

Yeah, it's not funny anymore. It was cute back in the 90s. We're 20 years further down the road now. FUCKING LEARN OR GET OUT OF THE FUCKING WORKFORCE.

It's not like we're asking people to code a goddamned AI or something. Just some rudimentary knowledge on how to interact with Windows, the Internet and Office apps doesn't seem too much to fucking ask for.

Also, about that doctor:

“I had no choice,” she told Judge John Kissinger, who did not issue a ruling. The AP also noted that Konopka will see any patient who can pay her $50 in cash.

“If I close my office, they will be without medical care,” she also told the court. “Some of them need medications. Who will prescribe for them if I don’t have a license? I worry what will happen to them.”

If you see patients without a license, you're going to really quickly wind up in jail. And as for who will prescribe for them if you don't have a license? Other doctors WHO KNOW HOW TO USE A FUCKING COMPUTER.

Ok I'm gonna counter-point ya Creston. I've been using computer since the good old Ti-994a, can pretty much troubleshoot all my software/hardware and am pretty intuitive when it comes to software.
But you have NO CLUE how much I'd love to get a bunch of Blue'sers to come to Amazon and just help them work out the GUI/Streamline some of the software we use. Thankfully we use windows 7/10 (depending if you begged enough to get a non-shitty laptop at work), but we also use Zebra TC5 scanners for just about everything (if you ever go to a Amazon pick-up drop-off you'll even see them there) and they are horrible outdated android phones with a scanner.
So back to the doctor..... I have seen offices that use a combo DOS system and Windows, that after watching them use it for years (when I donated plasma twice a week for years...) that makes my asshole pucker up due to all the key combo's etc they have to use.
Now throw in say a more modern hospital that has digital files of ultra sounds, MRI's scans etc it can be very daunting. Hell even my ex the head of a hospital Cath Lab unit had to take a 3 week course when they went 80-90% digital.
But we also know that digital files are like the internet. You may screw up something, and catch/fix it later but once it's out there it's out there. So I agree with you and the others that someone who can potential kill you by accidentally giving you a 10mg perscription giving you 20mg (or worse) is not a good thing.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Nov 5, 2017, 14:20 Cutter

I'd be concerned simply for the fact it shows how out of touch she is with current modalities and meds. If she's a Luddite how the hell would she ever be able to keep on top of what's current? I thank the Al Gore Almighty for the interwebs! On more than one occasion I've caught my doctor prescribing me the wrong meds or treatments simply because I was able to do the research online myself. Which is good because he learns and avoids future mistakes like that and I get the help I need. I most definitely want and need my doctors to be up on that which is current.

"They call me a chauvinist pig. I am . . . and I don't give a damn!" - Steve McQueen

5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Nov 5, 2017, 13:02 Creston

I still come across the occasional user who goes "I just don't know how to use these dangfangled computers hahaha!"

Yeah, it's not funny anymore. It was cute back in the 90s. We're 20 years further down the road now. FUCKING LEARN OR GET OUT OF THE FUCKING WORKFORCE.

It's not like we're asking people to code a goddamned AI or something. Just some rudimentary knowledge on how to interact with Windows, the Internet and Office apps doesn't seem too much to fucking ask for.

Also, about that doctor:

“I had no choice,” she told Judge John Kissinger, who did not issue a ruling. The AP also noted that Konopka will see any patient who can pay her $50 in cash.

“If I close my office, they will be without medical care,” she also told the court. “Some of them need medications. Who will prescribe for them if I don’t have a license? I worry what will happen to them.”

If you see patients without a license, you're going to really quickly wind up in jail. And as for who will prescribe for them if you don't have a license? Other doctors WHO KNOW HOW TO USE A FUCKING COMPUTER.

4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Nov 5, 2017, 11:38 RedEye9

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 5, 2017, 11:28:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 5, 2017, 11:25:
An 84 year old doctor, nuff said.

My tax doer is 87 and still fit in mind and up-to-date with stuff, so it isn't age to blame here, and as I said, 30 years is a long time not to know how operate a tablet or a browser....
I agree, if a professional has not bothered to keep up with the times it leads me to believe that they have not kept up with their chosen profession.
But using your tax doer as a comparison does not compute unless he can put your health in danger or kill you with improperly filed taxes?

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Nov 5, 2017, 11:28 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 5, 2017, 11:25:

My tax doer is 87 and still fit in mind and up-to-date with stuff, so it isn't age to blame here, and as I said, 30 years is a long time not to know how operate a tablet or a browser....

2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Nov 5, 2017, 11:25 RedEye9

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Nov 5, 2017, 11:19 eRe4s3r

So rather than hiring a random dude to operate a PC or laptop or tablet or even smart-phone (all those things can access that opiod tracking website) (aka, a secretary) she gives up her work and patients?  

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo