Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Over $1M Paid to Rust Community Skin Authors

As a wise man once sang, rust never sleeps. It turns out that Rust never cheaps, either. Garry Newman, lead developer on the survival-shooter Rust, tweets that they have now shared over <Dr. Evil voice>one million dollars</Dr. Evil voice> in revenue with skin authors from the community (thanks PCGamesN). There are several reply tweets from skin authors expressing gratitude for the opportunity as well as the cash. Word is:

Word is: "Dunno if I already posted, but we've paid out over $1m to Rust's skin authors now <3."

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 5, 2017, 04:01 Dacron

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 23:32:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 15:28:
verybad1 wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 13:56:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 11:50:
*Disclaimer* I'm not a Rust player or modder.

Something tells me $1 million is a small fraction of what the Rust developers took in from those skins.

Don't know, don't play Rust, but the people making those skins probably enjoyed it, some were probably learning to potentially become professionals (not part time that is) and they wouldn't have made any money in many other games that don't pay back...so.

It's the same workshop system as TF2. I don't hear any of them complaining, so apparently it is a decent system for those involved.

I certainly heard a lot of TF2 modders complaining that Valve is ripping them off hard since 2016, but maybe because it comes as part of the job. Many big names even pulled out and stopped making assets.

"They're ripping me off not giving me enough money for the stuff I use to release for free!!!"

lol, they can go pound sand.

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 5, 2017, 01:48 Mordecai Walfish

NewMaxx wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 19:22:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 18:36:
25% goes to the creator, but likely Valve is also taking part of that 75% cut along with Facepunch, because the items being distributed through Valve's workshop.

Indeed, to clarify on what I said about PS2 it was actually 25% of net revenue to creators, which means if Steam/Valve took let's say 30% of face value then in actuality the author would only get 17.5% of face (developer 52.5%), but in any case...developers gets three times as much.

"He who controls the workshop controls the metaverse."

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 4, 2017, 23:32 eRe4s3r

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 15:28:

Something tells me $1 million is a small fraction of what the Rust developers took in from those skins.

Don't know, don't play Rust, but the people making those skins probably enjoyed it, some were probably learning to potentially become professionals (not part time that is) and they wouldn't have made any money in many other games that don't pay back...so.

It's the same workshop system as TF2. I don't hear any of them complaining, so apparently it is a decent system for those involved.

I certainly heard a lot of TF2 modders complaining that Valve is ripping them off hard since 2016, but maybe because it comes as part of the job. Many big names even pulled out and stopped making assets.

10. Re: Over $1M Paid to Rust Community Skin Authors Nov 4, 2017, 23:08 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 18:58:
What the heck is Rust?

Well, either an 4 year old Early Access game or a "really annoying to smooth out of a bicycle iron frame" oxidation layer.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 4, 2017, 22:26 Angrius Maximis

For a game that no one plays anymore....well done  

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 4, 2017, 19:22 NewMaxx

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 18:36:
25% goes to the creator, but likely Valve is also taking part of that 75% cut along with Facepunch, because the items being distributed through Valve's workshop.

Indeed, to clarify on what I said about PS2 it was actually 25% of net revenue to creators, which means if Steam/Valve took let's say 30% of face value then in actuality the author would only get 17.5% of face (developer 52.5%), but in any case...developers gets three times as much.

7. Re: Over $1M Paid to Rust Community Skin Authors Nov 4, 2017, 18:58 Mr. Tact

What the heck is Rust?  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 4, 2017, 18:36 Mordecai Walfish

NewMaxx wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 18:17:
But if I had to guess how much the developers were taking I'd say closer to where PS2 started off, or 75%.

No guessing needed, but you were spot on, all the same:

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/about/?appid=252490

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."

5. Re: Over $1M Paid to Rust Community Skin Authors Nov 4, 2017, 18:17 NewMaxx

My point of reference would be Planetside 2 which I played for years and worked within the creator community (and to this day I still think Sony approached F2P appropriately and they did work closely with the community). Originally they had the skins split three ways (weapons, vehicles, characters) for let's say $2.50 each and later unified these into a single set for say $5. In the former case the creator might only get 25% of face value but later it was changed to 50/50; now of course the face value went down 33% (7.50 -> 5.00) so this was a concession from the developer, but sales also increased and it made wading through the skins far easier.

Ahem, anyway, I remember it started off at about $10k/quarter so clearly 1 million in comparison is ridiculous. But if I had to guess how much the developers were taking I'd say closer to where PS2 started off, or 75%. That's not atypical at all in the F2P industry. Again, I think PS2's model and changes were admirable but unfortunately we've gone backwards with microtransactions lately (IMHO).

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 4, 2017, 15:28 Mordecai Walfish

3. Re: Over $1M Paid to Rust Community Skin Authors Nov 4, 2017, 13:56 verybad1

2. Re: Over $1M Paid to Rust Community Skin Authors Nov 4, 2017, 12:25 El Pit

Imagine, this would be Bethesda... Oh, this thread would explode with hatred!  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

1. Re: Over $1M Paid to Rust Community Skin Authors Nov 4, 2017, 11:50 MoreLuckThanSkill

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo