Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Daylight saving time ends overnight tonight/tomorrow morning, so brace yourself. The good news is that in falling back we gain an hour, rather than lose one. The bad news is that this does not actually impact the length of the day or the night, so it doesn't actually provide extra time to enjoy November's Full Beaver Moon, so get it while it's hot.

R.I.P.: Stephen Parr, Oddball Films' eccentric archivist.

DST Links: Thanks Ant.
Link: Massive and mysterious wooden penis erected atop Austrian mountain.
Story: "Daylight Savings" is grammatically incorrect. That is correct. Thanks Slashdot.
Media: Fear No Weevil: Taking on the Worldís Worst Weed.
Boyfriend makes car commercial for his girlfriends 96 Civic.
Who dares? "I Am One With the Force and the Force Is With Me."

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2017, 15:03 Mr. Tact

Found this:

In Australia: Various states and territories in Australia adopted daylight saving time between 1968 and 1971, but Queensland, the Northern Territory and Western Australia did not do so. In Western Australia, three referendums were held in 1975, 1984 and 1992 on the issue, with daylight saving being rejected each time.

In Sept. 2017 Alberta was looking to have a vote getting rid of it... not clear if they did or not..

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2017, 14:57 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 12:35:
... A lot of places have had referendums to abolish it and lost...
I don't necessary doubt you... but I find that puzzling since I have never meet anyone who didn't want to get rid of it. Can you point to ballet results somewhere?

3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2017, 12:35 Cutter

Strangely enough there are a lot of people who still agree with DST. A lot of places have had referendums to abolish it and lost. I don't understand that at all. I'm firmly in the do away with it camp.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2017, 12:09 Mr. Tact

I don't really care if we stick to daylight-saving time or standard time -- JUST FUCKING PICK ONE AND STICK TO IT.

And in case you haven't seen it already, how is this still a thing?

1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2017, 11:54 gsilver

The end of DST is very much losing an hour to me, since it means that Iíll be in the office an hour later every night, and will no longer get an hour of sunlight after work. Now itís maybe a few minutes, if I leave early.

Uck. Canít we just stay on DST year round?

//And thatís ignoring the fact that Iíve been getting tired and waking up too early... My body would love the clocks to spring forward!

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo