Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Daylight saving time ends overnight tonight/tomorrow morning, so brace yourself. The good news is that in falling back we gain an hour, rather than lose one. The bad news is that this does not actually impact the length of the day or the night, so it doesn't actually provide extra time to enjoy November's Full Beaver Moon, so get it while it's hot.

R.I.P.: Stephen Parr, Oddball Films' eccentric archivist.

DST Links: Thanks Ant.
Link: Massive and mysterious wooden penis erected atop Austrian mountain.
Story: "Daylight Savings" is grammatically incorrect. That is correct. Thanks Slashdot.
Media: Fear No Weevil: Taking on the Worldís Worst Weed.
Boyfriend makes car commercial for his girlfriends 96 Civic.
Who dares? "I Am One With the Force and the Force Is With Me."

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2017, 01:17 ForgedReality

It's also "driver license," not "driver's license"...  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Keep DST for ever please! Nov 5, 2017, 21:21 Ant

I hate standard time.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

23. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2017, 14:45 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 5, 2017, 13:32:
Massachusetts and Maine are considering ditching DST

If they did, it would double the number of states that do so.

Stay a while, and listen.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2017, 13:44 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 5, 2017, 13:32:
Massachusetts and Maine are considering ditching DST
I hope it leads to a domino effect, but I wouldn't bet any money on it.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

20. Re: Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2017, 12:24 Numinar

Kxmode wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 19:49:
Origins has taken the top spot for hours played.

AC1 - 22 hours
AC2 - 89 minutes (was unplayable on PC so I ended up watching playthroughs on Youtube)
Brotherhood - 32 hours
Revelations - 35 hours
AC3 - 32 hours
Black Flag - 63 hours
Rogue - 26 hours
Unity - 50 hours
Syndicate - 62 hours
Origins - 74 hours and counting

Origins and Black Flag are neck-in-neck in terms of which one I like more. I still absolutely love the pirate stuff and the pirate ship mechanic is super fun. However, Origins is just amazing in all the things it gives you. From its lethal chariot racing in the Alexandria Hippodrome to tomb raiding to eliminating bounty hunters after you called Psylackes to the gladiator arenas. So much stuff to do. Plus the game is just beautiful to look at.

The game looks amazing, and is nice and smooth once I reduced the FPS cap to 45, as it doesn't handle big swings well. If I put it to the 1080 TV I can probably get away with 60 again. (390x with most the options at or near max)

I've decided I like it a lot more than Black Flag. BF was more ambitious, but this one has had almost all the fat trimmed off. It's one of the largest worlds I've tooled around in, and yet it's also the most lively. Syndicate was fun, in a Saints Row crossover kind of way, but was otherwise super safe and suffered from the stagnation of 8 years of yearly releases. In this one I almost never feel like I'm not having fun or that I've wasted my time. All the risks they took seem to have come through for them.

Every part of it feels like the distilled fundamentals of another AAA game that I love. Destiny/Witcher 3/New Tomb Raider/Red Dead Redemption/MGSV. It's all in there to some degree or another and all simplified but fully engaging.

I think they realized that warner were doing their combat system better than they ever did and gave up on it for this Darksouls-lite new thing, whilst retaining some cool canned animations. I'm now interested in the combat for the first time in this series, even though I had to crank it up to hard to make it properly interesting, and even then it's still a relaxing romp where the loop of explore/kill/loot/treasure hunt/quest cycles so damned fast with almost never a frustrating second let alone minute and I can't turn the fucking thing off and now it's 4am and this is even worse than Warhammer 2 and my life is falling apart and oh god there must be 100 hours more of this and Egypt is awesome and fuck those guys who ripped the casing stones of those big pyramids and how amazing is it that they recreated a mini-me version of a whole fucking country circa 2000 years ago.

Oh, it takes a while to get going. But So do most games this size. It's worth sticking with it.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2017, 08:35 gsilver

Ick. The worst part of the time change is when you arenít able to sleep through it.

I woke up at the first 1am, had the clock run back to 1am again an hour later.
...and was still awake after 4.

Finally got some sleep, but woke up at used-to-be-7-but-is-now-6

Woo. Facing the first day of dreary winter time on 4 hours of sleep.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2017, 07:29 eRe4s3r

If you are confused about DST, just call it summer and winter time like everyone else. Winter time is the real time by the way, Summer time is the fake time.

I would be for generally keeping summer time (by shifting the time zone -1) and problem solved.

17. Re: Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2017, 00:21 NKD

Cutter wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 23:37:
NKD wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 23:09:
I have a hard time

With everything because you're such a fucking tool.

You're pretty triggered tonight, snowflake!

The solution to the toxicity of identity politics surely isn't to add white identity politics to the mix.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2017, 23:44 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 22:24:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 21:46:
I can't wait for the end of March already. Fuck standard time, fuck winter, fuck the cold, fuck the early nightfall and fuck the earth's retarded axial tilt that is responsible for all this depressing shit.
Ha! That made me chuckle. Sounds like you need to move south and get a job with a more flexible schedule.

One of my sisters lives in Phoenix, and she loves it. She is a real cold hater too. Me? I hate the heat, could never live in Phoenix. As I'm getting older the cold bothers me more than it used to, but my spin is, it is the price I pay for milder, shorter summers (comparatively) and I usually get the bonus on "good" temperatures in the spring and fall.

Have a buddy who lives in Tucson, and he rises with the sun. He basically feels like he can't "wake up" without sunlight. But for me, I worked for years where I either left for work when it was still dark, or came home from work when it was dark and it was never an issue.

At least you have the option of choosing a range of climates all within your country, same as the lucky bastards in the EU. No such luck here. I don't know I'd want to live on the equator or anything but certainly somewhere where hotter is the norm and it never gets colder than needing a sweater, which should be rare. Conversely I've always been more of a night owl and always had a problem getting up early no matter how long I've done it or tried to adjust my circadian rhythms.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

15. removed Nov 4, 2017, 23:37 Cutter

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 5, 2017, 09:27.

14. Re: Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2017, 23:09 NKD

Kxmode wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 19:49:

Origins and Black Flag are neck-in-neck in terms of which one I like more. I still absolutely love the pirate stuff and the pirate ship mechanic is super fun. However, Origins is just amazing in all the things it gives you. From its lethal chariot racing in the Alexandria Hippodrome to tomb raiding to eliminating bounty hunters after you called Psylackes to the gladiator arenas. So much stuff to do. Plus the game is just beautiful to look at.

I have a hard time choosing between whether Black Flag or Origins are my favorite AC game to date. Origins gets the core gameplay and the immersiveness of the world down, but Black Flag has the fun naval combat and a better Precursor storyline.

All the AC games, except maybe 3, have what I would consider a high point that isn't matched by any of the other games. For example, I think Syndicate has the best main characters (particularly Evie Frye, swooooon), and the best combat, but its world is a bit monotone. But the Modern Day story was a lot better in the early games. Recently its been disjointed and half-assed. They didn't know what to do with themselves post-Desmond.

Origins you get a third person playable protagonist in Modern Day with an actual name and some backstory, but it's just barely a thing. You spend like maybe half an hour outside the Animus in a playthrough.

The solution to the toxicity of identity politics surely isn't to add white identity politics to the mix.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2017, 22:24 Mr. Tact

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 21:46:
I can't wait for the end of March already. Fuck standard time, fuck winter, fuck the cold, fuck the early nightfall and fuck the earth's retarded axial tilt that is responsible for all this depressing shit.
Ha! That made me chuckle. Sounds like you need to move south and get a job with a more flexible schedule.

One of my sisters lives in Phoenix, and she loves it. She is a real cold hater too. Me? I hate the heat, could never live in Phoenix. As I'm getting older the cold bothers me more than it used to, but my spin is, it is the price I pay for milder, shorter summers (comparatively) and I usually get the bonus on "good" temperatures in the spring and fall.

Have a buddy who lives in Tucson, and he rises with the sun. He basically feels like he can't "wake up" without sunlight. But for me, I worked for years where I either left for work when it was still dark, or came home from work when it was dark and it was never an issue.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2017, 21:46 CJ_Parker

gsilver wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 11:54:
The end of DST is very much losing an hour to me, since it means that Iíll be in the office an hour later every night, and will no longer get an hour of sunlight after work. Now itís maybe a few minutes, if I leave early.

Uck. Canít we just stay on DST year round?

//And thatís ignoring the fact that Iíve been getting tired and waking up too early... My body would love the clocks to spring forward!

^ this

Fuck standard time. The only people I can see being happy with standard time and early darkness would be the basement-dwellers who don't give a shit about sunlight no matter what time it is but for those of us who enjoy being outside for physical activities it is a fucking nightmare.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2017, 20:31 RedEye9

I'm wondering if Thor: Ragnarok will erase the time wasted by watching The Dark Tower.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2017, 19:49 Kxmode

Origins has taken the top spot for hours played.

AC1 - 22 hours
AC2 - 89 minutes (was unplayable on PC so I ended up watching playthroughs on Youtube)
Brotherhood - 32 hours
Revelations - 35 hours
AC3 - 32 hours
Black Flag - 63 hours
Rogue - 26 hours
Unity - 50 hours
Syndicate - 62 hours
Origins - 74 hours and counting

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2017, 16:31 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 15:03:
Found this:

In Australia: Various states and territories in Australia adopted daylight saving time between 1968 and 1971, but Queensland, the Northern Territory and Western Australia did not do so. In Western Australia, three referendums were held in 1975, 1984 and 1992 on the issue, with daylight saving being rejected each time.

In Sept. 2017 Alberta was looking to have a vote getting rid of it... not clear if they did or not..

I have no idea how many have, and don't care enough to go searching for it. You just always here about these votes every now and then and I find it beyond strange that anyone would want to keep it.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2017, 16:19 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 15:03:
Found this:

In Australia: Various states and territories in Australia adopted daylight saving time between 1968 and 1971, but Queensland, the Northern Territory and Western Australia did not do so. In Western Australia, three referendums were held in 1975, 1984 and 1992 on the issue, with daylight saving being rejected each time.

In Sept. 2017 Alberta was looking to have a vote getting rid of it... not clear if they did or not..

Well there's your "a lot" of places. :winkey-smiley-face:

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2017, 16:07 jdreyer

Heh. Heheh. Heh. Blue said "penis." Heh. Heheh.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2017, 16:04 jdreyer

One reason I've heard for keeping it is not to let kids go to school in the dark in the winter.  

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo