Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Runic Closed, Motiga Layoffs

Kotaku has word that Perfect World has laid off most of the staff at Motiga, developer of the MOBA Gigantic. They also report the Chinese publisher has shut down Torchlight developer Runic Games, who just released Hob, a puzzle game. The Runic Games website has a farewell note from this developer that formed from the ashes of Flagship Studios:

Hey everyone,

Itís been over nine years since a rag-tag team of 17 developers helped open Runic Games. Weíve been so lucky for the community that has supported us and made us successful. Thanks to that support, we have had the chance to meet and work with the best people in the world. Our team here at Runic has released three successful games, and over that time we have seen many changes; team members got married, kids were born, but the most important thing is that we have become a family.

Iím sorry to say that today will be Runicís last day open. Our focus is on our family here, and helping them find a new place to call home. If you are in games and looking for some of the best talent in the industry, please email jobs@runicgames.com.

For those that love the Torchlight series, there will be some news coming. And for all our fans, our community and multiplayer services will keep running even after the studio's lights go off.

It has been an amazing experience. To my family here at Runic, I know we wonít be far from each other, and Iíll miss seeing you all every week.

You havenít heard the last of us,

Marsh Lefler
Studio Head

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Runic Closed, Motiga Layoffs Nov 5, 2017, 18:37 jdreyer

Dunkirk wrote on Nov 5, 2017, 08:09:
Torchlight news? Are they going to crowdfund a T3? If so, I'm in, sight-unseen.

Yeah, I'd KS that.

Stay a while, and listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Runic Closed, Motiga Layoffs Nov 5, 2017, 08:09 Dunkirk

Torchlight news? Are they going to crowdfund a T3? If so, I'm in, sight-unseen.  
Acts 17:28 - "For in Him we live, and move, and have our being."

12. Re: Runic Closed, Motiga Layoffs Nov 4, 2017, 10:58 Asmodai

Cutter wrote on Nov 3, 2017, 22:15:
I wish PW would die and go away. They were entirely responsible for ruining NWO.

Neverwinter Online? \= |

Hang on, do you mean "ruined over time" or "ruined before release"?

Cos that thing was a hot mess from the start.

11. Re: Runic Closed, Motiga Layoffs Nov 4, 2017, 10:26 Creston

Hope all the Runic guys (and Motiga) find other jobs soon. I really enjoyed Torchlight, though I barely ever played the 2nd one.

10. Re: Runic Closed, Motiga Layoffs Nov 4, 2017, 03:23 El Pit

Thanks for Torchlight, guys. Unfortunately, there was no Runic release beyond the Torchlight games that was of any interest to me. But Torchlight was fun!  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

9. Re: Runic Closed, Motiga Layoffs Nov 4, 2017, 03:01 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 01:50:
RIP Runic. They needed to double-down on what made Torchlight 1 so memorable, but instead they went in another direction.

Two of the main guys from Torchlight split off to make Double Damage Games. They made a little space game called Rogue Galaxy which wasn't too shabby for a first outing, and are working on another space game, this one more of a space sim.

Huh, I couldn't get into TL 1, but I adored TL 2. It was pretty much my favorite game the year it came out.

And yeah, Rebel Galaxy is fun, too.

8. Re: Runic Closed, Motiga Layoffs Nov 4, 2017, 01:50 NKD

RIP Runic. They needed to double-down on what made Torchlight 1 so memorable, but instead they went in another direction.

Two of the main guys from Torchlight split off to make Double Damage Games. They made a little space game called Rogue Galaxy which wasn't too shabby for a first outing, and are working on another space game, this one more of a space sim.

The solution to the toxicity of identity politics surely isn't to add white identity politics to the mix.

7. Re: Runic Closed, Motiga Layoffs Nov 3, 2017, 22:15 Cutter

I wish PW would die and go away. They were entirely responsible for ruining NWO.  

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

6. Re: Runic Closed, Motiga Layoffs Nov 3, 2017, 22:10 ItBurn

I didn't like Torchlight 2. I think they lost sight of what made these games great(including Fate). They were cuter and simpler Diablo clones. 2 was more serious and complex and it just ended up being generic and meh. It's pretty sad because they worked so hard on it. As for Hob, I don't know if it's good or bad, but on the surface, it looks very generic. If you're going to make a puzzle platformer, it has to be immediately clear what the cool different mechanic is and what's fresh about the game. I find it hard to understand what made them greenlight this. Maybe it was a stepping stone to prove themselves in the console third person game field.  

5. Re: Runic Closed, Motiga Layoffs Nov 3, 2017, 21:08 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 3, 2017, 20:52:
Hope they cleaned up when they sold the company, this was a predictable outcome.

Predictable to us cynical watchers, but you'd be surprised how naive game developers are.

Then again, if they had done Torchlight 3 with a better graphics engine* than TL2, especially after Diablo 3 was so meh for so long, they could be swimming in money, but they decided not to... oh well

It's just another dead developer now

4. Re: Runic Closed, Motiga Layoffs Nov 3, 2017, 20:52 Mr. Tact

Hope they cleaned up when they sold the company, this was a predictable outcome.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

3. Re: Runic Closed, Motiga Layoffs Nov 3, 2017, 20:15 swedishfriend

I have been hearing great things about hob on several podcasts. Seems to be a great game that just released recently. Hope one can still buy it...  

2. Re: Runic Closed, Motiga Layoffs Nov 3, 2017, 19:55 Rhett

Yeah, I just loaded up Torchlight 2 recently and it still holds up... but was wondering why they never did a #3. Hob looked okay, guess they tried to do their own game and it didn't go over well...  

1. Re: Runic Closed, Motiga Layoffs Nov 3, 2017, 19:48 jdreyer

Oof, losing Runic is tough. I thought Hob looked pretty good and was looking fwd to picking it up. Wonder how patching will go in the future.  

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo