Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

The Trouble with Trailers - GamesIndustry.biz.
"Worse is the fact that this trailer was dropped without warning into the middle of a press event that was live-streamed across Europe at around six in the evening, and filled mostly with kid-friendly games. I roll my eyes at a fair bit of parental outrage over games (my glib, obviously-not-a-parent-myself solution to most of it being "try not buying him a copy of GTAV then?") but I have a hell of a lot of sympathy for a parent who looks away for a few minutes from their kid watching a video of the new Spider-Man game, and when they turn back he's gawping at a woman being held down and having her elbows broken with a hammer."

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Op Ed Nov 4, 2017, 09:43 RedEye9

yonder wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 00:53:
As always, I love the super-mature "if you allow jay-walking, next thing you know murder will be legal" type of thinking of the sensory-deprivation tank citing morons here.

Because, ya know, the only two options are literally the most extreme choices. There's no protecting the kid without completely withholding literally everything from the kid. There's honestly no other way of doing it.
Remember to shoot for a specific gravity level between 1.265 to 1.285, because if it's less than that your child will sink and if it's higher you risk damaging the pump with salt crystallization.

Nullity's Law
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Op Ed Nov 4, 2017, 09:05 KS

he's gawping at a woman being held down and having her elbows broken with a hammer."

You guys are sick.

7. Re: Op Ed Nov 4, 2017, 01:44 yonder

NKD wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 01:19:
Accurate representations of the game are not what gets eyeballs on your game. Otherwise trailers would just be a list of game features and/or a story prologue. He draws a parallel to movie trailers saying "They don't just play a violent scene from the movie!" No, but they also need to show the trailer on broadcast television. If they didn't have to worry about that, movie trailers would absolutely be less kid-friendly.

Movie trailers are often very poor representations of what's in a film. Showing only the most actiony bits, and scenes that aren't even in the final cut because they make for a good trailer but a shit film.

Marketing material isn't meant to be educational or informative, it's meant to increase sales. It's the job of people who review products and conduct interviews with creators to get us the information we want.

Oddly enough, we're all attracted to things in different ways. SOME of us are in the "no gameplay? Don't care" camp. Sadly we're a sorely under-served portion of the population, since most people are in the "OOOH, SHINY!" part of the population.

6. Re: Op Ed Nov 4, 2017, 01:19 NKD

Accurate representations of the game are not what gets eyeballs on your game. Otherwise trailers would just be a list of game features and/or a story prologue. He draws a parallel to movie trailers saying "They don't just play a violent scene from the movie!" No, but they also need to show the trailer on broadcast television. If they didn't have to worry about that, movie trailers would absolutely be less kid-friendly.

Movie trailers are often very poor representations of what's in a film. Showing only the most actiony bits, and scenes that aren't even in the final cut because they make for a good trailer but a shit film.

Marketing material isn't meant to be educational or informative, it's meant to increase sales. It's the job of people who review products and conduct interviews with creators to get us the information we want.

Doors and corners, kid. Doors and corners.

5. Re: Op Ed Nov 4, 2017, 00:53 yonder

As always, I love the super-mature "if you allow jay-walking, next thing you know murder will be legal" type of thinking of the sensory-deprivation tank citing morons here.

Because, ya know, the only two options are literally the most extreme choices. There's no protecting the kid without completely withholding literally everything from the kid. There's honestly no other way of doing it.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 3, 2017, 23:36 Mordecai Walfish

Loved this trailer when it first came out

Did someone miss the memo that (in the US at least..) nobody gives a fuck about gratuitous violence being displayed on television/media? On the other hand, if you slip up and show a nipple: heads will roll, people will lose their jobs, and Armageddon will be one step closer to reality. But, violence? naaah. I first watched A Clockwork Orange when I was 8 or 9 years old. Nothing's shocking. (besides the naked human body, which is obviously too grotesque and perverse a thing to allow the sight of)

Off with their heads!

3. Re: Op Ed Nov 3, 2017, 21:35 The Half Elf

In and of itself the trailer is pretty over the top. There is no context to the trailer beyond MAYBE knowing it was for The Last of Us II, so it comes across (at least to me) as going for shock value.
I do remember seeing a trailer that had Elle (I think that's her name as I didn't get very far into the game and haven't had a chance to go back) playing a guitar in a room as the camera goes through a house of dead people. Now that trailer was great, had a good setup and payoff.

*shrugs* Maybe I'm just old now.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

2. Re: Op Ed Nov 3, 2017, 20:45 Bill Borre

a woman being held down and having her elbows broken with a hammer

Reminds me of a Dean Koontz novel I read back in the 80s, although if I remember the scene correctly, the victim was bound in duct tape and all bones were broken with a ball peel hammer.

1. Re: Op Ed Nov 3, 2017, 19:32 RedEye9

I recommend a sensory deprivation tank until a child turns 21. Sure, their skin might be a little prunish after being submerged for so long, but wouldn't you rather be safe than sorry.

Nullity's Law
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo