Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 2, 2017, 18:41 Scheherazade

VR is just shy of worthwhile.

Unfortunately, everyone jumping on the bandwagon (Dat early market share, yo) have yet again soured many people on the idea.

When you get 8K per eye at 120hz consistent, it'll be ready to /start/ useful adoption.

(4k @ 90hz per eye can be serviceable, but still bad)

Till then, there just aren't enough pixels to make 100+ degrees of FOV look good.

(lens distortion, color shift, massive area to fill, make resolutions that look great on a monitor look bad in VR. Resolutions that are 'ok' on a monitor are just terrible in VR. Don't expect to read 12 point font [on a virtual monitor positioned like it would be IRL] any time soon in VR.).

5 years from now, we'll be at the real verge of VR utility.

-scheherazade

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 2, 2017, 10:18 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Nov 1, 2017, 23:50:
A warm-up? Cause they seem like little more than thousand dollar paper weights to me so far.

Cobra? Yo Joe!

Theyíve never been a thousand dollars. But hey, when youíre bitter and angry that new tech is out of reach for you, I guess thatís how you compensate.

No, VR kits arenít as immediately useful as the computer they require, but thatís not the point of the first ones. The point is that itís amazing technology that people can make their own software for. The Lighthouse system is open, and allows tinkerers to build their own add on devices. The number of advances caused by early adopters are already coming about as usable, and will likely be built into successive headsets.

You clearly look at them from ONLY the perspective of a consumer, and maybe have lost your ability to be excited by amazing tech. Iím not going to pretend I use my VR kit every day...and a week or two may go by without me touching it. But I had some fun fiddling around with coding (awful) stuff for it in Unity, which is more coding than Iíve done in 15 years.

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 1, 2017, 23:50 Cutter

A warm-up? Cause they seem like little more than thousand dollar paper weights to me so far.

Cobra? Yo Joe!

"Rmabo. John J.? Well what do you know? Ol' Harry here's a soldier."

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 1, 2017, 22:25 RedEye9

And us late adopters thank the VR early adopters from the bottom of our wallets.

If Seagates AI is worth a dime it will tell you to buy Western Digital or get an SSD.

Democracy Is Not a Spectator Sport
If Youíre Not Scared About Fascism in the U.S., You Should Be
Vote like your rights depend on it

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo