Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Why Difficulty Shouldn't Matter in Video Games - Rolling Stone.
"When it comes to developing any game experience, the player is at the heart of it. In most games, developers make the game give you a good roll if your past few rolls were bad, we make your computer enemies always miss the first shot so you have time to respond, and we will count a jump a frame or five or six too late as a jump anyway. Our goal is for you to have an engaging time, and it’s more important to us that it feels fair than it is that it is fair. We’ll pretend things are harder than you believe just so you feel like you’re better at it. We’ll make the game less fair if that makes it feel more fair to the average player. Almost all games - whether its an obstacle-less experience or a masocore unfairly difficult platformer - are secretly rooting for you."

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2017, 08:42 Fantaz

ForgedReality wrote on Nov 1, 2017, 15:31:
For a challenge, play Warframe.

isn't that a multiplayer game?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 2, 2017, 01:32 Hoop

Blackhawk wrote on Nov 2, 2017, 00:33:
Gaming is a hobby. People lose track of that one fact. A hobby needs to be something that engages you, entertains you, and that you have fun with.

Different people have different things that trigger those things. Some may find it through overcoming challenge. Some don't care about challenge, but game for the experience of being somebody else that they could never be in real life. For them, too high of a challenge can actually detract from their real motivation when the only way to advance is the let go of the theme and analyze the underlying mechanics. Some people gain their enjoyment from progress, some from achievement, some from proving themselves to peers.

And for every person entertained by one of those things, there is someone who finds it tedious and unfun.

Agreed different strokes & all
Have to say my gaming tastes have had periods of change over the years.
Eight - Five years ago my brain could'nt get enough of puzzle solving in particular portal 1 & 2, played a ton of community maps.
At the turn of the millennium I was more interested in AI advances & open world sand box, played a crap ton of Operation Flashpoint.
Always about the FPS though.

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 2017, 01:45.

Um .. Behind you...

10. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 2, 2017, 00:33 Blackhawk

Gaming is a hobby. People lose track of that one fact. A hobby needs to be something that engages you, entertains you, and that you have fun with.

Different people have different things that trigger those things. Some may find it through overcoming challenge. Some don't care about challenge, but game for the experience of being somebody else that they could never be in real life. For them, too high of a challenge can actually detract from their real motivation when the only way to advance is the let go of the theme and analyze the underlying mechanics. Some people gain their enjoyment from progress, some from achievement, some from proving themselves to peers.

And for every person entertained by one of those things, there is someone who finds it tedious and unfun.

9. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2017, 20:00 CJ_Parker

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Nov 1, 2017, 17:45:
But did you beat doom2 on nightmare? the impossible last level to do without cheats... go up the lift and jump/miss the damn brain every time.

Impossible if you're tipsy maybe Wink .

u need to sober up and git gud bruuuh then it's easy-peasy

8. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2017, 18:26 Hoop

Good article, I like when he delved into suspension of disbelief.
Getting older I can't do marathon sessions anymore, responiblities etc. Lately however I could if I wanted to but really can't bring myself to sit there & try & stay engaged. I find it more enjoyable to chip away at a range of games taking my time, usually at night darkness offering a more emmersive experience. I spend as much time in awe of the lens flare, attention to detail & real time shadows as driving the story on. The first thing I usually mutter on removing my headphones? .... "fuck".

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2017, 19:15.

Um .. Behind you...

7. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2017, 18:14 Suppa7

The problem is not challenge or not but whether the game is presenting us with something to bother continue playing it.

Take shmups, a game like sine mora is not as good as many other shmups like Jamestown because of the level of care and craftmanship that goes into the design despite the fancy graphics.

It takes a lot of work to figure out why something is fun or not and very few people are good at it. Many developers have been relying on set-piece cinematic spam the last 15 years or so because they are so lacking in understanding of building intrinsically compelling gameplay systems.

So they rely on hollywood to sell games. Building a genuinely fun game along the lines of civilization or alpha centauri is genuinely hard and companies want easy money.

6. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2017, 17:45 Tipsy McStagger

Fion wrote on Nov 1, 2017, 13:49:
Sounds like a boring game to me. IMHO games have largely become too easy in the last decade or more. I'm not asking for the high difficulty and frequent deaths of early games - which were designed that way to bring in more quarters - but I enjoy games most if they provide a challenge. Some of my favorite games in recent years have been the Dark Souls series, for this reason.

For the record, since the article talks about the difficulty of Doom and using cheats to make it easier. I wasn't 7 when doom came out, more like 17. But I beat Doom on Nightmare, without cheats. Why? For the challenge, and the bragging rights among friends.

But did you beat doom2 on nightmare? the impossible last level to do without cheats... go up the lift and jump/miss the damn brain every time.

5. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2017, 17:41 NKD

Clickbait titles are especially infuriating when you know people aren't going read the article.  

The solution to the toxicity of identity politics surely isn't to add white identity politics to the mix.

4. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2017, 15:31 ForgedReality

For a challenge, play Warframe.  

3. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2017, 15:23 theglaze

The article doesn't say much, and ignores online gaming with direct P2P competition.

Rolling Stone wrote on Nov 1, 2017, 15:11:
Richard Bartle, the creator of one of the earliest massive multiplayer games, MUD1, suggested in 1996 that there’s a map of player archetypes, a grid on which most players fit in terms of behaviors. Bartle’s taxonomy of player types is now commonly considered outdated, but it still holds an easy-to-digest example of how designers and developers think about players.

He divided a grid into two axes: Acting to Interacting, and Players to World. People that acted upon players were called ‘Killers’, and they like to blow up stuff. People that acted upon the world were called ‘Achievers’, and they play a game to achieve the goals set out in the game world. Those with the goal of interacting with players are called the ‘Socializers’, and they play games for the social aspect - whether talking about the way their stories played out with friends, or playing cooperatively online with others. Finally, those who interact with the world are called the ‘Explorers’, and they play a game just to explore, uninterested in the quest or purpose of the game.

2. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2017, 15:11 yonder

I didn't read the article, just the headline, but...

Um... it's the PLAYER that decides what they value. If they value difficulty, then BAM, difficulty matters. Don't think Rolling Stone should be patronizing gamers and telling them what should or shouldn't matter. There are PLENTY of reasons to value difficulty and PLENTY to say "yeah, remove the difficulty." And, on top of that, many ways to measure difficulty.

1. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2017, 13:49 Fion

Sounds like a boring game to me. IMHO games have largely become too easy in the last decade or more. I'm not asking for the high difficulty and frequent deaths of early games - which were designed that way to bring in more quarters - but I enjoy games most if they provide a challenge. Some of my favorite games in recent years have been the Dark Souls series, for this reason.

For the record, since the article talks about the difficulty of Doom and using cheats to make it easier. I wasn't 7 when doom came out, more like 17. But I beat Doom on Nightmare, without cheats. Why? For the challenge, and the bragging rights among friends.

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo