Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Legal Briefs

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 1, 2017, 16:14 MacLeod

Cutter wrote on Nov 1, 2017, 11:05:
Actually that Tanner guy deserves it. Suing for 2 counts for 150k each for 2 still frames of a video from an amateur photograpjer? That's just another asshole clogging up the courts with some get-rich-quick BS lawsuit. I think CBS' response is wholly merited and rather funny. He's hoisting himself on his own petard.

The article seems to indicate that it was 2 photos that he took and posted on his facebook page, not part of a video.

And it seems like there's some bad blood in this case, since they used his photos without permission before. Now they said it was unwittingly the first time, but not removing them after that (they just tried to give him a credit), and then doing it again, does seem like they're just making money off of someone elses work by using the photographs in the article.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 1, 2017, 13:47 Acleacius

Cutter wrote on Nov 1, 2017, 11:05:
Actually that Tanner guy deserves it. Suing for 2 counts for 150k each for 2 still frames of a video from an amateur photograpjer? That's just another asshole clogging up the courts with some get-rich-quick BS lawsuit. I think CBS' response is wholly merited and rather funny. He's hoisting himself on his own petard.
ubiquitous?

Its a sad day for America when people believe women, The Drumpf

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 1, 2017, 12:29 Darks

Quboid wrote on Nov 1, 2017, 12:07:
Darks wrote on Nov 1, 2017, 10:44:
The Movie industry is getting out of control with their crying over copy writes.

This screams of intimidation to the max, I hope the court slam CBS for this. This is nothing more then a fair use of the IP. Especially one thats as old as this one is.

Hopefully, it's a pretty blatant attempt to punish someone for standing up for their rights. Using stills from a TV show is fair use, using photographs from a photographer isn't.

I guess we will see, I'm only referring to how the Industry as a whole is acting towards much of this stuff.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 1, 2017, 12:07 Quboid

Darks wrote on Nov 1, 2017, 10:44:
The Movie industry is getting out of control with their crying over copy writes.

This screams of intimidation to the max, I hope the court slam CBS for this. This is nothing more then a fair use of the IP. Especially one thats as old as this one is.

Hopefully, it's a pretty blatant attempt to punish someone for standing up for their rights. Using stills from a TV show is fair use, using photographs from a photographer isn't.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 1, 2017, 11:05 Cutter

"They call me a chauvinist pig. I am . . . and I don't give a damn!" - Steve McQueen

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 1, 2017, 10:44 Darks

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo