Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 1, 2017, 08:36 MoreLuckThanSkill

Prez wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 13:14:

LOL guilty as fuck. Believe it or not, I actually intend to play the vast majority of the massive games library that I own. I just need to figure out how to live to be about 800...

I'm in the same boat, between Steam, GoG, Humble, Origin, etc.

The method is easy:

1) Win the lottery.
2) Quit your job.
3) Play games all day when you aren't on your yacht with hookers and blow.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2017, 13:14 Prez

Verno wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 08:47:
... I know people often say "I dont want to pay X to get Y games" but then I see them shoveling games into their Steam backlog, never to be played. If any game was worth buying a console for, it's these ones...

*AHEM*... Who could you possibly be talking about? Embarassed

LOL guilty as fuck. Believe it or not, I actually intend to play the vast majority of the massive games library that I own. I just need to figure out how to live to be about 800...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2017, 08:47 Verno

Prez wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 18:19:
Not a tough milestone to reach to be honest, but good to see that Nintendo has righted the ship somewhat. I'm not even a fan of Nintendo; it's just nice to see an industry icon finally do something right.

As for the Switch itself, I'm kinda indifferent. Do I want to play the new Zelda and Mario? Yeah. Enough to buy a whole new system for them? Not really. Especially when Nintendo has made so many dubious design choices with it and I don't really need a handheld as I don't travel.

I was super skeptical but I love my Switch. You don't really care about the specs because the games are so good. The unit itself is pretty decent portable use but I don't do much of that, I mainly use it as a traditional console docked to the TV. I use a Pro Controller and prefer it that way. It is super nice though that if the GF is watching something I can just pick up the unit and go play elsewhere.

Breath of the Wild was an amazing experience and truly a once in a generation game. Mario Odyssey is shaping up to be similar. I know people often say "I dont want to pay X to get Y games" but then I see them shoveling games into their Steam backlog, never to be played. If any game was worth buying a console for, it's these ones. Shit I bought a PS4 for Bloodborne and that turned out pretty well when you look at all of the first party games Sony has now.

Anyways just food for thought.

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 30, 2017, 21:59 Scottish Martial Arts

Prez wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 18:19:
As for the Switch itself, I'm kinda indifferent. Do I want to play the new Zelda and Mario? Yeah. Enough to buy a whole new system for them? Not really.

Personally, I think it's worth the price of admission for those two games alone. Like Verno, Breath of the Wild is one of the best games I've ever played, and Super Mario Odyssey seems just as good after a weekend of playing it (although I suppose there is plenty of playtime left for my opinion on that to change). The only other first party game I have is Mario Kart 8, which is a ton of fun, but as a Mario Kart game it just isn't going to surprise you or fill you with wonder the way Zelda or Mario will. Add in some great indie support and you won't lack for quality content, as long as you understand that this console is going to offer different experiences than a PS4/XBOX or a PC.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 30, 2017, 18:19 Prez

Not a tough milestone to reach to be honest, but good to see that Nintendo has righted the ship somewhat. I'm not even a fan of Nintendo; it's just nice to see an industry icon finally do something right.

As for the Switch itself, I'm kinda indifferent. Do I want to play the new Zelda and Mario? Yeah. Enough to buy a whole new system for them? Not really. Especially when Nintendo has made so many dubious design choices with it and I don't really need a handheld as I don't travel.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 30, 2017, 18:11 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 15:50:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 13:23:
Yeah, for half a second I thought they were comparing it to the original Wii, and was like "holy shit!" Then it registered.

The Switch growth curve is pretty crazy though and it is impressive regardless IMO.
Yeah, good for them. They've created something unique in the market and are reaping the benefits.

Stay a while, and listen.

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 30, 2017, 17:28 nomoreshite

Amazing they managed to get people to buy a £150 nvidia shield for £280+ to play 5 games.

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 30, 2017, 15:50 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 13:23:
Yeah, for half a second I thought they were comparing it to the original Wii, and was like "holy shit!" Then it registered.

The Switch growth curve is pretty crazy though and it is impressive regardless IMO.

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 30, 2017, 14:14 Jagacademy

jdreyer wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 13:21:

Aren't you more of a PC-only gamer?

No, I have nothing against consoles. I just think games released on the PC (like the new Shadow of War) should have proper support options, like being able to change the FoV. Mention that here though, and people that are a fan of the game lose their minds, and feel like you are attacking them personally. It's very odd.

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 30, 2017, 13:23 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 12:36:
It's really not that much to crow about, especially comparing it to the U. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 30, 2017, 13:21 jdreyer

Jagacademy wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 11:41:
Verno wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 10:52:
In its first year it already has two of the highest rated games of all time so the game situation on it is fucking great.

Yeah, but what do you do two weeks later when you're finished with them?

They need more games with some staying power, that you can sink 100's of hours into. I'm waiting to see how good the online play is for the new Smash Brothers. If it has good matchmaking and no lag, I'll take the plunge and pick one up.

Aren't you more of a PC-only gamer?

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 30, 2017, 12:36 RedEye9

It's really not that much to crow about, especially comparing it to the U. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 30, 2017, 11:50 Verno

Jagacademy wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 11:41:
In its first year it already has two of the highest rated games of all time so the game situation on it is fucking great.

They need more games with some staying power, that you can sink 100's of hours into. I'm waiting to see how good the online play is for the new Smash Brothers. If it has good matchmaking and no lag, I'll take the plunge and pick one up.

Two weeks?! Breath of the Wild took me a month to get through and I was putting a ton of time into it. When you're done with those games you do what you do on any other console, play other first party games or play third party stuff. In the first year of the PS4 I had Black Flag and Bloodborne so I think the Switch is doing ok!

So far I have played:

Mario vs Rabbids - awesome X-Com clone
Mario Kart 8 remix - great game
BOTW - one of the best games I've ever played
Super Mario Odyssey - amazing so far
Golf Story - cute little game

In year 1 that's a good list.

Third parties are actually coming to the table now that the system is selling too. Fucking Doom port lol.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 30, 2017, 11:42 Jagacademy

*duplicate*  

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 30, 2017, 11:41 Jagacademy

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 30, 2017, 11:31 SirKnight

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 10:43:
Too bad the software on the Switch really sucks.

Not at all man, not at all.

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 30, 2017, 11:10 sauron

Do you mean games or the OS? The OS is barebones but who cares about that, you don't buy it to browse the web. In its first year it already has two of the highest rated games of all time so the game situation on it is fucking great. A pile more on the way too. I think you're off your rocker, the Switch is killing it in the first year and that's reflected in the insane demand for it.

I agree with Verno. My kids and I have been playing the heck out of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8, and we're really looking forward to Xenoblade 2 and picking up Super Mario Odyssey.

Plus the idea of playinig LA Noire (and maybe Skyrim) on the go sounds great. I don't usually buy console stuff, but the Switch is definitely worth it.

Kittens!

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 30, 2017, 10:52 Verno

Do you mean games or the OS? The OS is barebones but who cares about that, you don't buy it to browse the web. In its first year it already has two of the highest rated games of all time so the game situation on it is fucking great. A pile more on the way too. I think you're off your rocker, the Switch is killing it in the first year and that's reflected in the insane demand for it.

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 30, 2017, 10:43 Ozmodan

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo