Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2017, 10:22 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 14:09:
And I've read that on average, runners have better joints than the general population (not that that's a very high bar. ).

To me you need nearly perfect biomechanics, otherwise you will eventually fuck up your cartilage or meniscus in your knees. I'm talking to make it a lifetime thing, not just something done casually. There are many people who just jog casually a few days a week and probably aren't doing it enough to do any real damage. If you have the physiology to do it 3-4 days a week for years then hey, I envy you. I would just caution you not to speak too soon, 10 years of pounding away can do some damage.

I do love running though, that's the shame. I live in a beautiful rural area and jog/hike the trails in the spring/summer. It's soul restoring. Unfortunately my old man knees no longer agree.

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2017, 10:36.

Playing: Ni No Kuni 2, Persona 5, Vermintide 2
Watching: Annihilation, The Quiet Place, A Dark Song
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2017, 19:09 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 18:42:
NKD wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 18:15:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 04:02:

Didn't FEMA approve the contract? Why would they agree to that?

Also, that wouldn't hold up in court, IMO.

I dunno but we gotta fix this.

Your appointment to FEMA should be finalized within the week.

Who did you pay off, and how much was it?
And fix the flood insurance fiasco while you're at it because it was never meant to continually fix the same home, year after year after year after...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf1t7cs9dkc

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

46. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2017, 18:42 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 18:15:

Who did you pay off, and how much was it?

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

45. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2017, 18:15 NKD

You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

44. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2017, 15:06 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 14:09:
And I've read that on average, runners have better joints than the general population (not that that's a very high bar. ).
I would expect that to be true, if running causes joint pain you don't do it. Hence, the people who do run have better joints...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

43. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2017, 14:17 Beamer

The speaker conversation is kind of crazy to me. I still have my old 4.1 Logitech speakers that everyone adored back in 2000 or so. The Z-560s. Hell, two of the speakers were never even connected. 188 watt subwoofer.

They haven't been used in years, and I can't say they ever will be again, but I hold on to them for some reason. At this point, I live in a Manhattan apartment and feel like using the subwoofer would be grounds for murder, so I do most of my gaming with headphones on. Occasionally I'll connect to the bluetooth speaker behind my computer, when I don't need any kind of situational awareness from proper stereo. I also use that for music. If I'm playing a game where sound doesn't really matter, like XCOM 2, I may not be using sound at all.

Man, I've gotten old.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

42. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2017, 14:09 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 11:58:
Verno wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 09:44:
I only jog in the summer, too hard on your joints to do for extended periods or at least it is for me, I'm pretty built now after a few years of lifting. I picked up cycling awhile ago and while expensive, its a fairly low impact activity that is fun.
I'm with you Verno. Even when I was running track in high school, the running seemed to be tough on my joints. I have long been convinced that for some people, not all but some, running as exercise does more damage to your body than it does good for it. A lower impact aerobic exercise seems a far better idea.

Yeah, my weight training has been for strength, not mass, so I can keep my weight down. And there are definitely people for whom running long distance is a bad idea: if you lack the proper biomechanics, if you're too heavy, if you're too tall, etc. Swimming and cycling are probably better options (though you do need to have proper mechanics for those as well to avoid injury).

I just love the flexibility running gives me. In five minutes I can change and be out the door at any time of the day or night. Can't say that about too many other kinds of exercise. And I've read that on average, runners have better joints than the general population (not that that's a very high bar. ).

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

41. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2017, 11:58 Mr. Tact

Verno wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 09:44:
I only jog in the summer, too hard on your joints to do for extended periods or at least it is for me, I'm pretty built now after a few years of lifting. I picked up cycling awhile ago and while expensive, its a fairly low impact activity that is fun.
I'm with you Verno. Even when I was running track in high school, the running seemed to be tough on my joints. I have long been convinced that for some people, not all but some, running as exercise does more damage to your body than it does good for it. A lower impact aerobic exercise seems a far better idea.

40. Re: Speakers Oct 31, 2017, 11:39 RedEye9

WarPig wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 00:10:
Creston, what exactly is giving out on your speakers? I'm just asking because I have a pair of Dahlquist speakers from the early 80's that finally had the foam that supports the outside of the cones start to fall apart so I bought a re-coning kit from these guys...

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/speaker-recone-kits.html

... and was able to fix them up as good as new for $31.
From what I have read about the Klipsch 4.1/5.1 Promedia it appears the failure is in the electronics/amp section.

Thanks for the speaker repair link, bookmarked it. Here is something else to keep in mind https://www.parts-express.com/cat/hi-fi-woofers-subwoofers-midranges-tweeters/13
Talk about wallet draining ear-bleed https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R-15PM-Powered-Monitor-Black/dp/B01A7J534G and don't forget to add the matching sub.

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2017, 12:44.

39. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2017, 09:44 Verno

Playing: Ni No Kuni 2, Persona 5, Vermintide 2
Watching: Annihilation, The Quiet Place, A Dark Song

38. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2017, 08:30 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 04:13:
Weekdays I'm getting a couple of 7 or 8 mile runs per week on the treadmill at work: either speed workouts (jog 6 mph, run 7.5 mph) or hill workouts. In between, I might do a short recovery run (3 easy miles) or 30m on the elliptical or ski machine. Usually do a couple of weight training sessions per week. I usually take off one weekday completely and Saturday. On Sunday I do a long run: 12-18 miles.

I'm definitely not running a 6m mile, that's like a 2:40 marathon. I had an 18.5 mile (30K) race a couple weeks ago, and ran a 9:30 pace which felt pretty good, and translates to a 4:10 marathon. So if I can shave 20 seconds per mile, I might break 4 hours. We'll see. I got like seven weeks or so. I'm trying to drop a bit of weight to make it easier.

Elite marathoners run the entire marathon at like a 5:10 or 5:20 per mile pace. It's nuts. I can't even run a single mile that speed, never mind mile 26.

EDIT: Heh, just saw Orogogus' comment.
Congrats on being that fit and having the will to do it. Never in my entire life did I have that much drive. The nature of motivation is something which has interested me for a very long time, mainly due to my nearly total lack of it. Keep up the good work.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2017, 04:13 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 01:19:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 13:45:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 11:29:
Disabled Vet Running 31 Marathons In 31 Days. Not sure I could do one in 31 days.
I'll do you one better, I KNOW I could not have done a single one at any point in my life...

I've got one in a couple of months. Shooting for sub four hour.

holy shit man. what kinda training is required to get into that kinda shape? i consider myself a decent athlete, built more for strength than endurance, but i'd have to kill myself to even run a six minute mile once, nevermind 26 straight times.

Weekdays I'm getting a couple of 7 or 8 mile runs per week on the treadmill at work: either speed workouts (jog 6 mph, run 7.5 mph) or hill workouts. In between, I might do a short recovery run (3 easy miles) or 30m on the elliptical or ski machine. Usually do a couple of weight training sessions per week. I usually take off one weekday completely and Saturday. On Sunday I do a long run: 12-18 miles.

I'm definitely not running a 6m mile, that's like a 2:40 marathon. I had an 18.5 mile (30K) race a couple weeks ago, and ran a 9:30 pace which felt pretty good, and translates to a 4:10 marathon. So if I can shave 20 seconds per mile, I might break 4 hours. We'll see. I got like seven weeks or so. I'm trying to drop a bit of weight to make it easier.

Elite marathoners run the entire marathon at like a 5:10 or 5:20 per mile pace. It's nuts. I can't even run a single mile that speed, never mind mile 26.

EDIT: Heh, just saw Orogogus' comment.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2017, 04:02 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 23:30:
NKD wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 10:38:
Glad to see Puerto Rico is killing that stupid deal with the Trump crony. Not surprising to see Trumps people trying to make a dime off the tragedy though.
You really got to read this
And the coup de grâce: A highly unusual clause in the contract stating that pay rates and other terms could not be audited or reviewed by Federal Emergency Management Agency; the island's government; the comptroller general; or PREPA.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2017, 02:02 Orogogus

1badmf wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 01:19:
but i'd have to kill myself to even run a six minute mile once, nevermind 26 straight times.

4 hours would be 9+ minute miles, wouldn't it? 6 minute miles all the way through would be more like two and a half hours. There are 60 minutes in an hour, not 40.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2017, 01:19 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 13:45:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 11:29:
Disabled Vet Running 31 Marathons In 31 Days. Not sure I could do one in 31 days.
I'll do you one better, I KNOW I could not have done a single one at any point in my life...

I've got one in a couple of months. Shooting for sub four hour.

holy shit man. what kinda training is required to get into that kinda shape? i consider myself a decent athlete, built more for strength than endurance, but i'd have to kill myself to even run a six minute mile once, nevermind 26 straight times.

33. Re: Speakers Oct 31, 2017, 00:10 WarPig

Creston, what exactly is giving out on your speakers? I'm just asking because I have a pair of Dahlquist speakers from the early 80's that finally had the foam that supports the outside of the cones start to fall apart so I bought a re-coning kit from these guys...

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/speaker-recone-kits.html

... and was able to fix them up as good as new for $31.

GO SEAHAWKS!

32. Re: Speakers Oct 30, 2017, 23:34 Creston

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 17:02:
]
quote="Creston"Oct 30, 2017, 16:57"15604]Anyone have a recommendation for a good/great set of speaker? My Klipsch are starting to give out after 12 years, and I'm looking for a new set.

They're 5.1, but I'm not sure I really care enough about that to go back to it, I'd probably be just as fine with some excellent 2.1s.

Anyone have any suggestions?
They still make the 2.1 Klipsch
This hardware thread might have some ideas
https://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=6&threadid=10&id=844325

Thanks for the link. It seems everyone loved their Klipsch, but also everyone's subwoofer died (as is mine.) Sigh

31. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2017, 23:30 RedEye9

NKD wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 10:38:
Glad to see Puerto Rico is killing that stupid deal with the Trump crony. Not surprising to see Trumps people trying to make a dime off the tragedy though.
You really got to read this
And the coup de grâce: A highly unusual clause in the contract stating that pay rates and other terms could not be audited or reviewed by Federal Emergency Management Agency; the island's government; the comptroller general; or PREPA.

30. Re: Speakers Oct 30, 2017, 21:54 Mr. Tact

NKD wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 18:57:
A pair of quality studio monitors is what I would get if I weren't committed to headphones due to neighbors.
One of the better reasons to own a house.

29. Re: Speakers Oct 30, 2017, 18:57 NKD

A pair of quality studio monitors is what I would get if I weren't committed to headphones due to neighbors.  

You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo