Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Metaverse

View
106 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

106. No subject Nov 19, 2017, 09:05 Mashiki Amiketo

NKD wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 00:17:

Your argument is basically "The EC is good because it penalizes my political opponents, who because of their superior numbers would win every time in a purely democratic system." That's how national votes work in a democracy though right? The bigger number wins?

There's no valid argument for a system that pads the vote of a certain group to make things more "competitive." It's not a sports game. We don't care that the game is close or exciting, we just want the vote to accurately represent our voice. If you're worried about how things are going in your state, that's why you have a state government, and state's rights.

If you're winning a national vote by millions, and still losing, your system is broken. And that's happened what, 4 out of the last 6 Presidential elections in the US? A few thousand votes in the "right places" should not be able to swing a national election in such a way that the person who gets the most votes loses.

No. My arguement is the EC makes sure that large urban areas don't suppress urban areas outside of the beltway and make sure they don't suppress rural areas again outside of that beltway. The US is and never has been a democracy, it has and is a republic. Which is probably why you don't get this.

You want someone elected by FFP and most number of votes. If you want to see exactly *how* fucked up that system is, move to Canada. You can enjoy it, while the area you're living in is actually crashing down around you. Come on, come to Ontario. Do it. You'll get everything you want, including the largest sovereign per-capita debt in the western world.

You should be damned glad that there's a counter to "large urban areas." Because if there wasn't, you'd be in my spot complaining about how the cities only give a fuck when it's something they want, and they want it now. And if you don't like it, you're just a bunch of redneck hicks. Never mind we feed your asses.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

105. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2017, 08:59 Mashiki Amiketo

loomy wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 03:47:

so what? THERE ARE MORE PEOPLE THERE. "democracy is too democratic" is NOT a valid argument
That's where you can't figure out why the electoral college exists in the US too right?

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

104. Re: Sunday Metaverse Nov 5, 2017, 12:29 Mr. Tact

Keep dreamin' -- not while the GOP is in control.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

103. Re: Sunday Metaverse Nov 5, 2017, 12:00 Dacote

Fingers crossed
https://impeachableoffenses.net

102. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 31, 2017, 21:04 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 14:18:
The Trumpification of the GOP is in full swing, however. Corker, Flake, and others are retiring, Bannon is fielding primary candidates from the right, etc.
Flake, McCain, and Corker are out. Roy Moore is in.
Now that's some good government right there.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

101. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 31, 2017, 14:27 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 14:18:
Hmm, 100 comments NOT involving Star Citizen???
SHAME SHAME SHAME
And to think it was all due to the first post, pat's self on back.

100. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 31, 2017, 14:18 jdreyer

Hmm, 100 comments NOT involving Star Citizen???  

Stay a while, and listen.

99. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 31, 2017, 14:18 jdreyer

Quboid wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 10:58:
Beamer wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 09:46:
Verno wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 09:22:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 22:30:
Nothing has come out yet to make me think the GOP will impeach Trump, not even close.

There's nothing to impeach him for yet.

Nope. Enormous amounts of smoke, and maybe a dozen things that are 20% good enough, but nothing has surfaced (or clearly looks to surface imminently) that is good enough.

Yesterday's news has brought up more questions than answers, but they're interesting questions that show progress is being made. Absolutely no question of impeachment based on what's known now. The emulsions clause is more likely and that's never had a snowball's proverbial.

Things could move quickly. If Trump's core support starts to waver, it could fall over fast due to being so Us-Against-Them in nature and without that base, the GOP won't protect him. That's not to say they'd impeach, but it's another obstacle gone. Maybe there'll be a glut of people rushing to make plea deals before their leverage has gone (even the suggestion that Papadopoulos might have been wearing a wire will have created quite an atmosphere in the WH today).

(In response to the several ninjas, I wrote this under the impression that we're all agreeing at least as far as my first paragraph.)

The Trumpification of the GOP is in full swing, however. Corker, Flake, and others are retiring, Bannon is fielding primary candidates from the right, etc.

98. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 31, 2017, 11:28 Mr. Tact

Okay, so it sounds like I did misread the tone in your posts, apologies as necessary.

To reiterate -- I believe nothing we have learned so far is enough to cause the GOP to impeach Trump. This is despite the fact that I personally believe Trump has already committed impeachable offenses.

97. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 31, 2017, 11:26 Verno

Yesterday's news has brought up more questions than answers, but they're interesting questions that show progress is being made. Absolutely no question of impeachment based on what's known now. The emulsions clause is more likely and that's never had a snowball's proverbial.

What's interesting is that he's now on the twitter attack with Papadopoulos since he agreed to cooperate. Makes me wonder if hes insulated from this or not.

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

96. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 31, 2017, 11:21 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 10:52:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 10:48:
Nothing has come out yet to make me think the GOP will impeach Trump, not even close.
Nope. Enormous amounts of smoke, and maybe a dozen things that are 20% good enough, but nothing has surfaced (or clearly looks to surface imminently) that is good enough.
Okay, first I thought I said nothing had come out which would get him impeached. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's what I said.

Second, impeachment is a political process not a legal one. Hence it suffers all the problems any political process does.

Third, unless I misread your "tone" (certainly possible) you'll disagree when I say IMHO, Trump has already committed impeachable offenses. I believe he attempted to obstruct justice when he fired Comey. That said, even if every single GOP member of Congress agreed with me on that, they still would not impeach him.

I think we were all agreeing with you, apologies if it came across like Verno was disagreeing and I was then doubling down with him.

And I'd wager, with Trump, it's not about what he'll do but if and when we find out, so yeah, I do agree with you. There was just a mismatch of us agreeing and realizing it.
In the vernacular that is referred to as ya'll being in violent agreement with one another.

95. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 31, 2017, 10:58 Quboid

Things could move quickly. If Trump's core support starts to waver, it could fall over fast due to being so Us-Against-Them in nature and without that base, the GOP won't protect him. That's not to say they'd impeach, but it's another obstacle gone. Maybe there'll be a glut of people rushing to make plea deals before their leverage has gone (even the suggestion that Papadopoulos might have been wearing a wire will have created quite an atmosphere in the WH today).

(In response to the several ninjas, I wrote this under the impression that we're all agreeing at least as far as my first paragraph.)

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

94. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 31, 2017, 10:56 Verno

Okay, first I thought I said nothing had come out which would get him impeached. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's what I said.

Second, impeachment is a political process not a legal one. Hence it suffers all the problems any political process does.

Third, unless I misread your "tone" (certainly possible) you'll disagree when I say IMHO, Trump has already committed impeachable offenses. I believe he attempted to obstruct justice when he fired Comey. That said, even if every single GOP member of Congress agreed with me on that, they still would not impeach him.

If you were referring to me, sorry if I missed you saying that initially. I don't think he's done anything impeachable yet (of what we've heard so far) and I do think that some of congress would support impeachment if he did but it depends on the transgression IMO. There are certainly party stalwarts that would not, I'm not going to deny that. If it was serious enough though I do believe you could get some republican reps to support it, particularly with the ongoing conflicts within the GOP at the moment.

93. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 31, 2017, 10:52 Beamer

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 10:48:

I think we were all agreeing with you, apologies if it came across like Verno was disagreeing and I was then doubling down with him.

And I'd wager, with Trump, it's not about what he'll do but if and when we find out, so yeah, I do agree with you. There was just a mismatch of us agreeing and realizing it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

92. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 31, 2017, 10:48 Mr. Tact

91. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 31, 2017, 09:46 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

90. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 31, 2017, 09:22 Verno

89. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 31, 2017, 09:06 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 08:33:
Madison? You mean James Madison? The fourth President?
Is there another?
Here's to hoping he's stupid enough to remove Mueller.

jdreyer wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 04:00:
Party first, country second.
The spineless members of congress actually put themselves first, before both party and country.

88. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 31, 2017, 08:33 Mr. Tact

Madison? You mean James Madison? The fourth President?  

87. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 31, 2017, 04:00 jdreyer

Madison (I think) made it clear that abuse of the pardon power would be grounds for impeachment. I expect that once the indictments start coming fast and furious, that Trump will start pardoning left and right.
Thing is, Republicans don't have the scruples to impeach him if he did. Party first, country second.

106 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo