Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Tech Bits

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 30, 2017, 22:49 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 16:57:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 16:53:
El Pit wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 09:08:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 14:13:
Ash wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 14:11:
Because Bill Gates donates insane amounts of money to charities, or invests them in technologies or foundations that can help people.

I used to hate Bill, but after he donated his fortune, I changed my mind. He's one of the great true philanthropists of our day.

I am not sure about Bill and Melinda Gates, but a lot of billionaires and millionaires use their foundations for tax evasion and to overturn politics they don't like. Like e.g. George Soros is giving money to organizations that follow his intentions no matter what the US or the country he is trying to influence is thinking about it. So there is always two sides to the story about foundations and charity.
That's true for many like Soros, Kochs, Adelson, etc. I've never heard of Gates or Buffett using their money that way.

Yeah, unlike the names you mentioned, he isn't trying to use his money to influence politics in a way no non-billionaire ever could.

Soros and the Kochs are bad, but for some reason Adelson makes my skin crawl above all others.
Let's not forget the tRump Foundation which was proven to be a scam.
The proof was found in his tax returns, oh wait.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 30, 2017, 16:57 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 16:53:
Because Bill Gates donates insane amounts of money to charities, or invests them in technologies or foundations that can help people.

I used to hate Bill, but after he donated his fortune, I changed my mind. He's one of the great true philanthropists of our day.

I am not sure about Bill and Melinda Gates, but a lot of billionaires and millionaires use their foundations for tax evasion and to overturn politics they don't like. Like e.g. George Soros is giving money to organizations that follow his intentions no matter what the US or the country he is trying to influence is thinking about it. So there is always two sides to the story about foundations and charity.
That's true for many like Soros, Kochs, Adelson, etc. I've never heard of Gates or Buffett using their money that way.

Yeah, unlike the names you mentioned, he isn't trying to use his money to influence politics in a way no non-billionaire ever could.

Soros and the Kochs are bad, but for some reason Adelson makes my skin crawl above all others.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 30, 2017, 16:53 jdreyer

Stay a while, and listen.

15. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 30, 2017, 10:13 Mr. Tact

Verno wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 10:08:
Ouch yeah, WorldCom hit me too. The interesting thing about stock picking is that I am so fucking bad at it whenever I assume I am gaining competence yet perform very well when I'm fearful and not meddling. I swapped most of my portfolio over to index funds about 10 years ago because of that and left about 5% of my annual contribution room as "play money". That way I can fart around a bit with tech stocks to satisfy the idea that I'm actually accomplishing something while not fucking over my retirement funds
Haha, yeah. The money I was "playing with" was always cash I had set aside, never the retirement money. I was reasonably lucky, by the time the 2008 recession hit I'd been maxing out my 401k for a few years and was nearly 100% in broad indexed funds. Didn't change a thing, kept contributing the max, and now here I am nine years later, retired. If that recession had happened in 2015 instead, I'd probably still be working and wondering if I would ever be able to retire.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

14. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 30, 2017, 10:08 Verno

Ouch yeah, WorldCom hit me too. The interesting thing about stock picking is that I am so fucking bad at it whenever I assume I am gaining competence yet perform very well when I'm fearful and not meddling. I swapped most of my portfolio over to index funds about 10 years ago because of that and left about 5% of my annual contribution room as "play money". That way I can fart around a bit with tech stocks to satisfy the idea that I'm actually accomplishing something while not fucking over my retirement funds  
Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

13. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 30, 2017, 09:59 Mr. Tact

Verno wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 09:20:
Buy and Hold cuts both ways though. I had $2000 in Nortel stock that is totally worthless today

I know a couple who bought BoA stock after the crash for next to nothing on a lark. Millionaires today. Just luck.
True, very true. I have my own "should have sold" story... about 20 years ago or so I bought a telecommunication company stock I was familiar with "Intermedia" I bought 100 shares for just under $20 a share. About a year after that they were up to $39 a share and I was feeling pretty good. Another year after that they were bought by Worldcom and the shares were converted to Worldcom shares. Within two years of that Worldcom was bankrupt and my $2k investment was gone.

I bought BoA after the crash. But I was selling covered calls on my shares and eventually the option was exercised. Made roughly 50% on my investment in about six months. So I can't complain too much, but yeah -- would have been nice if I had just held on to it.

12. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 30, 2017, 09:20 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 12:30:
In case anyone was wondering... on the day Amazon IPO'd it opened at 18 closed at 23.50 -- assume you got 100 shares at $23 each. If you managed to not sell them somewhere along the way... your $2,300 investment would now be 1,200 shares worth roughly $1.3 million.

Buy and Hold cuts both ways though. I had $2000 in Nortel stock that is totally worthless today

I know a couple who bought BoA stock after the crash for next to nothing on a lark. Millionaires today. Just luck.

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

11. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 30, 2017, 09:12 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 00:45:
In case anyone was wondering... on the day Amazon IPO'd it opened at 18 closed at 23.50 -- assume you got 100 shares at $23 each. If you managed to not sell them somewhere along the way... your $2,300 investment would now be 1,200 shares worth roughly $1.3 million.

*kicks himself*
Don't feel too bad, the odds are you would not have held onto the shares this long even if you had bought them. Just think about it. When $2,300 becomes worth $10k are you going continue to hold? $20k? $50k? $100k? I discuss this occasionally with friends, it is a nice day dream topic. I've decided the only possibly way I would hold onto something that long (20 years in this case) is if I purchased the stock in an IRA fund.

10. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 30, 2017, 09:08 El Pit

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 30, 2017, 03:45 DangerDog

Bumpy wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 19:10:

Pretty much this.

Waiting to hear the same from Mr. Bezos hopefully in the near future.

He gives away free bananas, so there's that.

8. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 30, 2017, 00:45 Creston

*kicks himself*

7. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 29, 2017, 23:56 necrosis

Bumpy wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 19:10:

Pretty much this.

Wasent the Harry Potter author delisted off some "richest" list because of her donations?

6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 29, 2017, 19:10 Bumpy

Pretty much this.

5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 29, 2017, 14:49 Simon Says

Let me correct that for you by removing the cult-ural worship and injecting a healthy ( pun intended ) dose of reality:

Jeff Bezos Passes Bill Gates to Become the World’s Person With the Worst Compulsive Hoarding Disorder

There you go!

4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 29, 2017, 14:13 jdreyer

Stay a while, and listen.

3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 29, 2017, 14:11 Ash

2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 29, 2017, 13:51 Fion

Bill Gates gets passed every few years by someone. But then he ends up on top again somehow.  

1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 29, 2017, 12:30 Mr. Tact

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo