Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Had a really terrific time at the hibachi with the twins and their folks. There was a helpful suggestion in the forums to warn the kids about the onion volcano in advance, but I didn't see that before we went. Luckily they were not traumatized by the supernova this created. Nobody actually caught any tossed food (I don't think you get their best performer when you show up for dinner on a children's schedule at 5:00 pm), but no one got a shrimp in the eye, either, so you take the bad with the good. And speaking of good, the food was terrific. There are few things that make me as happy as fried noodles.

Fried Links: Thanks Ant and RedEye9.
Play: Return Man 2.
Stories: Cluster analysis shows that the golden age of The Simpsons ended in Season 10.
A Bedroom for Rover, Maybe Even a Condo. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Science: How Mazda's Compression-Ignition Gas Engine Runs Like a Diesel Without Blowing Up.
Watch Bill Nye respond to anti-science tweets.
Media: Ever seen a model jet fly at 451 miles an hour?
Watch astronaut Scott Kelly struggle to walk on Earth after a year in space.
The Funnies: Brains - FoxTrot.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. removed Nov 9, 2017, 01:39 wingsio

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 9, 2017, 02:13.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2017, 15:39 Rigs

Acleacius wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 06:45:
Thanks for the reply. The patch was for a game, but the addon doesn't seem to release RAM. So if I was to download the patch again without closing the browser, it would have been holding 2 gig of RAM. It can be cleared with a restart but wasn't sure if someone else had heard or had a better fix.

So I basically missed the whole point and would have been better off keeping my mouth shut...gotchya!

I see what you're saying now. No, I haven't heard of a problem like that. Sorry. (Should have been my original response)

=-Rigs-=

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2017, 06:45 Acleacius

Rigs wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 00:21:
Acleacius wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 21:37:
Has anyone else used Firefox plugin for Mega Download. I downloaded a 1 gig patch. It was the strangest thing, once completed Mega seemed to still be holding onto the RAM it used.

The only way I could free up the RAM was to close the browser. There's doesn't seem to be any spyware or anything added to my system. I don't actually have an account, is it just a setting, you have to login to set?

Whoa, whoa, whoa...hold up a second...you use Firefox?! a 1gb patch for an extension seems a little...excessive. Did you Google it? Doesn't sound legit to me.

=-Rigs-=
Thanks for the reply. The patch was for a game, but the addon doesn't seem to release RAM. So if I was to download the patch again without closing the browser, it would have been holding 2 gig of RAM. It can be cleared with a restart but wasn't sure if someone else had heard or had a better fix.

Its a sad day for America when people believe women, The Drumpf

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2017, 00:21 Rigs

Acleacius wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 21:37:
Has anyone else used Firefox plugin for Mega Download. I downloaded a 1 gig patch. It was the strangest thing, once completed Mega seemed to still be holding onto the RAM it used.

The only way I could free up the RAM was to close the browser. There's doesn't seem to be any spyware or anything added to my system. I don't actually have an account, is it just a setting, you have to login to set?

Whoa, whoa, whoa...hold up a second...you use Firefox?! a 1gb patch for an extension seems a little...excessive. Did you Google it? Doesn't sound legit to me.

SlimRam wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 19:54:
Blue, my first flying guillotine Japanese steak house adventure...snipped to protect the innocent...

This kinda sounds like my first 'business' meeting at a fancy seafood restaurant. What a cluster that was.

I feel your pain, SlimRam. Salute

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Oct 30, 2017, 00:38.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2017, 21:37 Acleacius

Its a sad day for America when people believe women, The Drumpf

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2017, 20:35 Mr. Tact

Found the supposedly charged amount in a NYT article:

"... the power authority had already paid Whitefish or been billed about $20.8 million for work done so far..."

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2017, 19:54 SlimRam

Blue, my first flying guillotine Japanese steak house adventure was the beginning of a sad downturn in my life. It started in the 5th grade and has continued till this very day. I was in school and it was decided that for a Social Studies class field trip, we would go to a Japanese steak place. The restaurant's name escapes me but in my child's mind I believed that it should have the word 'ninja' somewhere in the title. Anyway, we go to this place and I was excited because my family was a little poor when we were young and I never really got to eat out very much (my parents would sometimes get KFC and dose it with Hing powder and say it was from the fancy Indian restaurant down the street). So a big, burly Japanese guy is our cook and he does his thing. The bouncing salt and pepper shakers, onion volcano, the flying shrimp! As he's serving us steak he's flipping it into each of our plates as it comes straight off the grill! Being of low intelligence and fairly hungry I was concentrating intently on the flying cooked cow that landed on my plate. Unfortunately, when this Kamikazi chef had tossed my steak he also threw hot oil off his fork as he flicked it. The oil hit me squarely in the eye as I yelled out, "MOTHER FUCKER!" in a high pitched, almost girley tone. All around the table were agast at my anti-social outburst. My teacher actually slapped me and THEN realized that I was actually injured (I grew up in the south and teachers getting physical was just fine then).

The moral? There isn't one really, I just like to share my damage sometimes.

Glad there were no life (and face) scarring incidents on your outing sir.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2017, 19:22 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 18:38:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 17:21:
ruh roh

What's plan B? I get that the Whitefish deal was rotten to the core, but they need power restored.

elon musk offered to rebuild their power infrastructure with 100% renewables.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2017, 18:59 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 18:40:
ruh roh
So, I wonder how much they siphoned up before the tap was cut of...
I thought i read $8 mill so far but of course now i can't find the link.
What's plan B? I get that the Whitefish deal was rotten to the core, but they need power restored.
Good point, if Puerto Rico was not in such poor financial straights they could pick a company that had more than 2 employees and had been in business for more than 2 years. As a matter of fact, they probably still can.
One things for sure, it's an eff'ed up situation.

Nullity's Law
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2017, 18:41 Mr. Tact

Hire legitimate contractors who aren't rip off artists? That would be a reasonable start...

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2017, 18:40 Mr. Tact

ruh roh
So, I wonder how much they siphoned up before the tap was cut off. I don't know if Zinke did or didn't have anything to do with the decision to grant this contract. However, I will be slightly amused if it ends up causing his removal from office...

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2017, 18:38 jdreyer

ruh roh

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2017, 18:33 Capella

Yup season 10 is when I stopped watching.  

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2017, 17:21 RedEye9

ruh roh

Nullity's Law
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2017, 14:11 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 12:12:
The new season of Stranger Things is fan-fricken-tastic and I think it is much better than the first go-around.. The Duffy Brothers said they had an ending for the story but it would not be until after season 3.

Good to hear. I was concerned that they wouldn't be able to pull it off. Sometimes when showrunners have been planning a show for years, it's great, but season 2 is a letdown since they've only had one year to do it. Witness True Detective, for example.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2017, 13:03 RedEye9

The 451 mph model jet is nuts, the speed of sound is 767 mph.

Nullity's Law

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2017, 12:12 RedEye9

I still watch the Simpsons, when I think about it, but it's no longer required viewing in my book. But Rick and Morty on the other hand is the shizz.
The new season of Stranger Things is fan-fricken-tastic and I think it is much better than the first go-around.. The Duffy Brothers said they had an ending for the story but it would not be until after season 3.

And just when you think the i.c.e. has been pushed to the limit, the rocket surgeons over at Mazda push it further still.

Nullity's Law

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo