Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Once you've been to one meal at a Japanese hibachi table (Teppanyaki) restaurant, you've been to all of them, as far as the show goes. The volcano of onions, the flipping shrimp into mouths, the little doll that pees sake are almost always the same at all of them (I think this all stems from Benihana chain). That said, we are greatly looking forward to going to such a place tonight, as we'll be with our friends with the little twins. This will give the chance to experience the whole thing through the eyes of four-year-olds, which delights me just thinking about it.

R.I.P.: John Mollo, who created the iconic costumes of Star Wars.

Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Basket Monsterz.
Story: A Wisconsin man got locked in a walk-in beer cooler. He had ‘everything that he needed,’ police say.
Science: First Rock From Outside the Solar System Sails Past Earth.
Scott Kelly Spent a Year in Space—Find Out How Hard It Was.
Media: HeroStorm Ep 30 Five Nights At Braxis.
The Never-Ending Game of Dungeons & Dragons.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2017, 15:42 Rigs

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 05:13:
It's not required in the slightest, but there are some inside references you may not completely understand. It is a standalone game, just as you didn't have to read the Witcher books before playing the first game, but you would understand more about the world had you done so.

Understood. Thank you, sir! I'll put it into my list of considerations!

=-Rigs-=

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 30, 2017, 05:13 Mordecai Walfish

Rigs wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 08:00:

For Divinity2, do I need to have played the first to understand the 2nd? I got like ten minutes into the first one and then woke up in a puddle of drool, so I'm hoping this one might be more...engaging?

=-Rigs-=

It's not required in the slightest, but there are some inside references you may not completely understand. It is a standalone game, just as you didn't have to read the Witcher books before playing the first game, but you would understand more about the world had you done so.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2017, 17:48 El Pit

hibachi

Gesundheit!

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

33. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2017, 08:00 Rigs

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 03:02:
Go with Divinity 2 if you already own GTA V And Witcher 3, I don't know why you'd want to re-buy those. Destiny 2 is going to cost far more than the $57 you found it for, to get a complete game. From what I hear the base game is a pretty hollow shell that people have been losing interest in rather quickly.

I have TW3 and the B&W expansion but not Hearts of Stone. I could get just that but for a few bucks more I get it in an AIO with some other little tidbits. I'm like maybe a few hours in, if that, around the Bloody Baron or whatever his name is, so really, I've just started (considering how large the game is, apparently). I love GTA5, I mean I got the PS3 version, bought the Xbone version for my daughter and then grabbed the Rockstar Social version for myself on PC but I'd like to get it through STEAM for the convenience, I guess. I'm strange, if you haven't noticed by now. Tho I doubt anyone on Blue's could claim to be 'normal', whatever that means...

I think I'll hold on Destiny2. A pity because I was kinda psyched. The first Bungie game on PC since Halo? Hell yes! And seeing how I missed out on the first one, save for the demo on PS3, I really wanted to try it. Maybe they'll release a demo for PC soon? That would be nice.

Speaking of demos, the Prey demo I grabbed last night was...ok. I spent more time breaking all the glass (especially the 'holo' glass!) than doing anything else. Reminds me of the original FEAR, where you could smash up all of those offices and cubicles, walls and boxes. Almost as therapeutic as popping bubble wrap! I'll have to play some more to see if I really wanna go all in, I just got into the lobby now and was almost instantly killed by the phantom in the Neuromod room as soon as I walked into it. I just quit from there, it was getting late.

For Divinity2, do I need to have played the first to understand the 2nd? I got like ten minutes into the first one and then woke up in a puddle of drool, so I'm hoping this one might be more...engaging?

=-Rigs-=

32. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 29, 2017, 03:02 Mordecai Walfish

Rigs wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 18:05:
So, I'm like this > < close to pulling the trigger on Witcher3:GOTY. I have the original and Blood & Wine but still have yet to even get 15% into the game as it is, which is why I'm considering just going all in but I'm hesitating. I saved my lunch money (and chewed on my socks instead) and have exactly $50 to spend. I would like to get Destiny 2 but I can only find $57 as the lowest and I really don't want to blow my wad on one game. Even tho it's really tempting. Wolf2 is a consideration but I didn't finish the first, so no. I could get the STEAM version of GTA5 (I have the Rockstar Social version), that's only $30. I would consider Shadow of War but, again, I'm still working on the first (even tho I'm told it's everything the first is and lots more). Divinity 2 is yet another consideration with yet another stipulation being I haven't finished the first. Grrr! Then I was thinking maybe just getting three months of iRacing again, since my old account ran out. Or maybe even a legit version of PC2. I dunno, I can never decide these things!
=-Rigs-=

Go with Divinity 2 if you already own GTA V And Witcher 3, I don't know why you'd want to re-buy those. Destiny 2 is going to cost far more than the $57 you found it for, to get a complete game. From what I hear the base game is a pretty hollow shell that people have been losing interest in rather quickly.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2017, 00:00 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 22:06:
Have you checked out GoG? I see Dying Light, Darkest Dungeon, and Strafe for a total of $44.

Dying Light I own and have 'The Following' and have beaten both twice and love to death (except for the terrible, awful, fucked ending to 'The Following', what a horrible way to end such a great game! Like they didn't know how to end it so they came up with something that totally goes against everything you've done up to that point and makes it all ultimately worthless. All of it. In a move that in no way the player character would have ever even considered. Just nasty! They need to get a decent story writer in next time if they can't figure this shit out because they clearly have no clue how to do it themselves!), Darkest Dungeon I've played and I'm not really crazy about and Strafe I have from...*cough* 'other' means and didn't find all that great, basically it's a walk-backwards-simulator, though it means well and the mid-90's retro aesthetic is great.

I just got Prey's demo and I'm gonna try that. Maybe I'll grab the full thing if the demo is good.

=-Rigs-=

30. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 22:07 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 21:49:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 21:40:
Rigs wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 20:32:
Is there a discount for Destiny2 anywhere or a code for somewhere that has it? I've checked 'isthereanydeal' and the lowest I've found is $56...

=-Rigs-=

I've read that people are getting about 80-90 hours out of D2. Is that good bang for the buck for you?
I use https://howlongtobeat.com/ for game lengths.
Just don't add "your meat" to that url

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 22:06 jdreyer

Rigs wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 21:40:
DangerDog wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 20:49:
Is there a discount for Destiny2 anywhere or a code for somewhere that has it? I've checked 'isthereanydeal' and the lowest I've found is $56...

US version? Green Man Gaming $54

https://www.dealzon.com/deals/destiny

wait for a sale.

Thank you. I knew I'd forgotten a site. I think I might actually wait, if just for a little while.

=-Rigs-=
Have you checked out GoG? I see Dying Light, Darkest Dungeon, and Strafe for a total of $44.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 21:49 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 21:40:

=-Rigs-=

I've read that people are getting about 80-90 hours out of D2. Is that good bang for the buck for you?
I use https://howlongtobeat.com/ for game lengths.
Just don't add "your meat" to that url

Democracy Is Not a Spectator Sport
If You’re Not Scared About Fascism in the U.S., You Should Be
Vote like your rights depend on it

27. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 21:40 jdreyer

=-Rigs-=

26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 21:40 Rigs

DangerDog wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 20:49:

wait for a sale.

Thank you. I knew I'd forgotten a site. I think I might actually wait, if just for a little while.

=-Rigs-=

25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 20:51 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 19:17:
For space stations, artificial gravity via centripetal force will go a long way to mitigate the issues of microgravity exposure. As for Mars, I suspect that by the time we get there, we'll be genetically modified to handle that gravity. And any pathogens on Mars will have come from the Earth.

It's certainly a very remote chance but has never been ruled out. There are pathogens on Earth that have evolved without dependence on animals after all. Or maybe I've been watching Life too much

Playing: Renovate My Kitchen
Watching: MI Fallout, Deadpool 2, House

24. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 20:49 DangerDog

=-Rigs-=

wait for a sale.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 20:32 Rigs

=-Rigs-=

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 20:19 NKD

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 20:08:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 19:35:
Since you work in the service industry, and are always nice to people in person, I would have thought you wouldn't have a problem with something like that.
Your zingers are not #fakezingers. thanks for the giggle.

I didn't know Freelance Proctology Test Dummy was considered part of the "service industry" though.

I keep warning you. Doors and corners, kid. That's where they get you. Humans are too fucking stupid to listen.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 20:08 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 19:35:
Since you work in the service industry, and are always nice to people in person, I would have thought you wouldn't have a problem with something like that.
Your zingers are not #fakezingers. thanks for the giggle.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 20:05 RedEye9

Verno wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 18:29:
The Scott Kelly link is really interesting,,,
What's especially great is that him and his sister-in-law are working on better gun control laws even though it will be an uphill fight with republicans bumbling around capital hill.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 19:40 Mr. Tact

If (and this is a very big if) we ever harness gravity, it fixes a LOT of things for space travel -- getting things to orbit, gravity to keep humans healthy, probably propulsion too. But somehow I'm guessing that is at best, several millennium away...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 19:35 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 18:49:
Hoop wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 16:53:
The poor chef who can't mask his despair while pretending to look excited as yet another person celebrates catching the shrimp in their mouth.

Yeah, I suppose you have to have a real people personality for a gig like that. There's just no way I could do that night after night without snapping and killing someone.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 19:17 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 18:29:
The Scott Kelly link is really interesting, just the effects on his bones alone is scary shit. They even took a lot of precautions and he still ended up in rough shape. I wonder what other health issues we will face eventually on planets like Mars. Just the potential for pathogens that we haven't seen before freaks me out.

Glad that will be a problem for someone else.

For space stations, artificial gravity via centripetal force will go a long way to mitigate the issues of microgravity exposure. As for Mars, I suspect that by the time we get there, we'll be genetically modified to handle that gravity. And any pathogens on Mars will have come from the Earth.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2017, 19:32.

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo