Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

View
64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

64. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2017, 11:36 Redmask

You're bad at this and boring me.

Cheers

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

63. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2017, 11:10 RedEye9

Redmask wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 11:06:
Disagreeing with opinions you stole from others is a trigger apparently. You missed a spot on my boots by the way, I like em nice and shiny Sunny
Cupcake, see post 61. Here's hoping you get better.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

62. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2017, 11:06 Redmask

Disagreeing with opinions you stole from others is a trigger apparently. You missed a spot on my boots by the way, I like em nice and shiny Sunny  

61. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2017, 10:46 RedEye9

Redmask wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 09:51:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 22:09:
There's the answer, well said.

Kissing my ass will get you nowhere and you shouldn't be so quick to adopt others opinions and thoughts little sponge. Case in point I don't agree with the vast majority of dog shit you posted here, I just don't like his harshness because I've dealt with addiction in our family.
So agreeing w/your statement is a trigger, I had no idea. It appears your membrum virile gets tumescent for my posts, might I suggest you put me on ignore or better yet use thumpers "hide blues posters" greasemonkey script.
I hope you get the help you need.

60. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2017, 09:51 Redmask

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 22:09:

Kissing my ass will get you nowhere and you shouldn't be so quick to adopt others opinions and thoughts little sponge. Case in point I don't agree with the vast majority of dog shit you posted here, I just don't like his harshness because I've dealt with addiction in our family.

59. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 22:09 RedEye9

Redmask wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 21:19:
The Half Elf wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 16:55:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 14:30:
It's a multi-faceted problem.
Good listen/read.
from narcan, the er and treatment (not to mention a rise in mortality), the cost's continue to add up. npr

You made my case for me.
But seriously, if we had Heroin centers, where people would show up and be given all the heroin they wanted, but couldn't leave and wouldn't be saved, how much better would it be in the US?
Money saved from trying to "fix the problem". Police/Fire/First Responders wouldn't be wasting time and resources. Hospitals wouldn't be wasting time/resources on it. Family members/loved ones would hurt, but it's better then getting "the phone call" as friends I know would call it (few of them have gotten it).

So the end result is money not wasted on people who don't want to get better, First Responders and Medical facilities won't have to waste their time and resources either. And we get rid of heroin use.

Those people are our most important resource, not the money. They are in distress, whether they accept it or not. People do want to get better but they can't see the other side while in the throes. Some of them will make it out of addiction alive and others won't but they all deserve a chance. The idea that we just give up is repugnant to me.

58. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 21:19 Redmask

Good listen/read.
from narcan, the er and treatment (not to mention a rise in mortality), the cost's continue to add up. npr

You made my case for me.
But seriously, if we had Heroin centers, where people would show up and be given all the heroin they wanted, but couldn't leave and wouldn't be saved, how much better would it be in the US?
Money saved from trying to "fix the problem". Police/Fire/First Responders wouldn't be wasting time and resources. Hospitals wouldn't be wasting time/resources on it. Family members/loved ones would hurt, but it's better then getting "the phone call" as friends I know would call it (few of them have gotten it).

So the end result is money not wasted on people who don't want to get better, First Responders and Medical facilities won't have to waste their time and resources either. And we get rid of heroin use.

Those people are our most important resource, not the money. They are in distress, whether they accept it or not. People do want to get better but they can't see the other side while in the throes. Some of them will make it out of addiction alive and others won't but they all deserve a chance. The idea that we just give up is repugnant to me.

57. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 19:58 The Half Elf

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 17:05:
Good listen/read.

You made my case for me.
No, no I didn't. Your case is coming from self-hate and ignorance of the problem.

No sir ignorance is cherry picking what other's have said to fit your agenda and your own point of view.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

56. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 17:39 Verno

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 17:05:
No, no I didn't. Your case is coming from self-hate and ignorance of the problem.

I don't know, he makes a decent argument and asks some interesting questions. Just because its a different viewpoint doesn't mean its ignorant, you keep saying that but not explaining why. So I'll ask in his place, why? In your own words instead of a link you googled

Playing: Persona 5, Ys VIII, Mario vs Rabbids
Watching: American Gods, Stronger, Day of the Dead Bloodline

55. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 17:05 RedEye9

Good listen/read.

You made my case for me.

54. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 16:57 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 14:10:
More broadly, I'm not sure what could work to solve "the drug problem". Especially since it is a least partially a social problem which are extremely hard to address. I've listened to all the arguments and suggestions over the years. I suspect there is no "right" answer, we need a little from this, a little from that, and a long period of time to work on it. It will never be eliminated. The only hope is to reduce it to a "manageable" level where at least ten of thousands aren't dying from it each year.
I agree that it's probably an impossible problem to solve. That being said, our current approach has been so damaging and expensive, that a radical departure a la Portugal should be tried and compared. They've had good success with their change, reducing both cost and usage.

Stay a while, and listen.

53. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 16:55 The Half Elf

Good listen/read.

You made my case for me.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

51. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 14:10 Mr. Tact

More broadly, I'm not sure what could work to solve "the drug problem". Especially since it is a least partially a social problem which are extremely hard to address. I've listened to all the arguments and suggestions over the years. I suspect there is no "right" answer, we need a little from this, a little from that, and a long period of time to work on it. It will never be eliminated. The only hope is to reduce it to a "manageable" level where at least ten of thousands aren't dying from it each year.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2017, 15:40.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

50. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 14:04 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 12:55:
Surely they could come up with something that gives people their jollies without being addictive or damaging.
I don't know about that.. if they could have they probably already would have.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

49. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 13:32 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 12:55:
The "War on Drugs" has been an abject failure, costing billions and billions and resulting in so much collateral damage...
The WoD is its own economic force.

The only reason we got a worthless statement from tRump, that does nothing to fund any of the possible countermeasures, is because white people are dying. Every 3 weeks we lose the equivalent of one 9-11 worth of people, if the majority of deaths were people of color there would be little to no outcry. sad

48. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 12:55 jdreyer

The "War on Drugs" has been an abject failure, costing billions and billions and resulting in so much collateral damage: innocent deaths from no-knock raids, illegal civil forfeiture, hundreds of thousands of non-violent offenders sent to prison, so much extra crime committed in order to make money to buy drugs, etc. all while the problem has grown worse. It's time to try something new.

1. People want drugs. We have a one trillion dollar pharmaceutical industry. Surely they could come up with something that gives people their jollies without being addictive or damaging.

2. Decriminalize all drugs, and release all non-violent offenders.

3. Make drugs available to addicts via a prescription at cost. This will eliminate the vast amounts of ancillary crime committed to pay for illegal drugs, the poverty of drug users, the gangs that sell them, and the stigma of using. The catch: drug supply is contingent on attending drug counseling and support weekly.

I'm sure there are other ways to mitigate drugs that I'm not coming up with off the top of my head.

Stay a while, and listen.

47. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 11:47  Blue 

NKD wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 08:54:
I find this post amusing because alcohol is legal and people use it to crash into other peoples cars all the time. Yet we already tried prohibition and it only made things worse. And the people who grab guns and go on killing sprees are typically not on any substances at all...

While technically that's true, the correlation between alcohol and violent crime is quite striking:

"On an average day in 1996, corrections authorities supervised an estimated 5.3 convicted offenders. Nearly 2 million (about 36%) had been drinking alcohol when they committed their conviction offense."

Source: US Department of Justice.

Used the older stat because it was from the DOJ rather than more recent stats from sites about alcohol abuse (in general their estimates seem to be ~40%).

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

46. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 08:54 NKD

El Pit wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 08:28:
Legalize all drugs? So, when those drugged people crash into your car or pilot their planes into a skyscraper or ram their boat into your house by the lake, it is alright? Or let them become hyperaggressive because of the shit they take and grab a gun to go on a killing spree where you live? No, thank you. Lock them up and THEN give them all the drugs they want. Burn the bodies and throw the ashes away. But don't let them drive through my hometown by the dozens. I want to leave my house without jumping into a tank to get from point A to B.

I find this post amusing because alcohol is legal and people use it to crash into other peoples cars all the time. Yet we already tried prohibition and it only made things worse. And the people who grab guns and go on killing sprees are typically not on any substances at all...

Maybe not the best examples.

Citizen of the United Shitholes of America

45. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 08:28 El Pit

Legalize all drugs? So, when those drugged people crash into your car or pilot their planes into a skyscraper or ram their boat into your house by the lake, it is alright? Or let them become hyperaggressive because of the shit they take and grab a gun to go on a killing spree where you live? No, thank you. Lock them up and THEN give them all the drugs they want. Burn the bodies and throw the ashes away. But don't let them drive through my hometown by the dozens. I want to leave my house without jumping into a tank to get from point A to B.  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo