Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Into the Black

Link of the Day: Why the Moon Landing COULDN'T Have Been Faked. Next week: Why the Earth can't be flat.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Into the Black Oct 27, 2017, 11:25 RedEye9

Quboid wrote on Oct 27, 2017, 00:16:
Why isn't Trump releasing all the JFK files? What has he got to hide? Thinking2
Thanks Obama!!!

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Into the Black Oct 27, 2017, 07:09 Redmask

His argument is the parallel shadows in photos could not be done in back then. Except a commenter pointed out that lighthouse lights are parallel (or close enough) and their lenses can be attached any light source. So this video is debunked as I see it

Oh ok, in your expert fucking opinion based on a random Youtube comment? I am totally convinced.

12. Re: Into the Black Oct 27, 2017, 07:00 Beamer

LittleMe wrote on Oct 27, 2017, 01:31:
So for me I'm not convinced of FE. But a lot of the FE video material is worth watching. Their evidence for nasa faking lots of more recent footage is compelling but could just be them scamming for funding or secret military purpose for mission launches or whatever else I don't know.

Once again, LittleMe proves he'll believe anything that some guy on YouTube claims despite zero proof.

You get you're a conspiracy theorist, right? We've had this discussion. You keep believing things simply because authority figures say they're wrong. That, and some guy on YouTube saying it's right, is literally all it takes for you.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Into the Black Oct 27, 2017, 06:57 yuastnav

Quboid wrote on Oct 27, 2017, 00:16:

Go back to bed. :p

10. Re: Into the Black Oct 27, 2017, 05:45 mellis

NKD wrote on Oct 27, 2017, 00:05:

This arises from our powerful ability to discern patterns. People seeing "truth" in things that are just noise.

The late Terry Pratchett put it best; "Seeing is believing, but believing is also seeing."

9. Re: Into the Black Oct 27, 2017, 03:20 NKD

This video is a better one debunking the idea that faking the moon landing was possible back then.  

Citizen of the United Shitholes of America

8. Re: Into the Black Oct 27, 2017, 01:31 LittleMe

His argument is the parallel shadows in photos could not be done in back then. Except a commenter pointed out that lighthouse lights are parallel (or close enough) and their lenses can be attached any light source. So this video is debunked as I see it. I think it's possible we went to the moon but Flat Earthers have arguments that are just as good or better than this video presented, and FE'rs have some really really flawed points too.

Source: https://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=1957

In a lighthouse, a converging lens is used to make a very concentrated beam of light able to reach many miles to ships at sea. Converging lenses are often used to focus parallel rays of light down to a point. In a lighthouse, however, this is done in reverse (yes, lenses work backwards, too!) -- because the light source is a point and emits its light in all directions, a converging lens is used to bend the light so that as many of the rays from the original source are parallel. That way, they all go in the same direction, and someone far out at sea is more likely to see it because more of the light is sent his way.

Now in the movies and games we see the beam from the lighthouse get larger over distance but in reality I think it's much less of a spread.

I've personally seen the Earth's shadow in the sky just before sunrise. The shadow is not curved of course but it does show the earth is in between the sun and the sky at that moment. Also I've seen satellites move from behind the Earth's shadow and into sunlight which also alludes to a globe Earth.

So for me I'm not convinced of FE. But a lot of the FE video material is worth watching. Their evidence for nasa faking lots of more recent footage is compelling but could just be them scamming for funding or secret military purpose for mission launches or whatever else I don't know.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

7. Re: Into the Black Oct 27, 2017, 00:16 Quboid

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

6. Re: Into the Black Oct 27, 2017, 00:05 NKD

It's one of the bigger hurdles humanity will have to overcome at some point, that tendency to put faith/factless belief before evidence and reason. I don't think we'll ever overcome it, honestly.

This arises from our powerful ability to discern patterns. People seeing "truth" in things that are just noise. A belief in a god, or some other silly thing, has no causal bedrock you can reach. People believe in it because they were taught to believe it, by someone who in turn was taught by someone else. There's no independent fact checking or verification anywhere along the way.

People believe in religions and conspiracy theories because they want to believe. They want to think they know something other people don't. They want the comfort of believing there's a plan, even if it's a malicious plan, because it's at least comprehensible. The truth that we're just a bunch of apes stumbling through a dark, largely arbitrary universe, is too scary to fathom for some people.

For others it's emotional. Not so much on the conspiracy side, but on the religious side. They want to believe they are going to be reunited with loved ones in an afterlife, or that there's some powerful being who will never let them down like their dad who went out for cigarettes and never returned.

Anyway, this is why we have the scientific method, and why science is such a team effort. We can check each other's work for bullshit, personal bias, etc.

5. Re: Into the Black Oct 26, 2017, 22:43 Ozmodan

Well considering a good telescope can see the remaining equipment on the moon, rather hard to account for that and say it did not happen.  

4. Re: Into the Black Oct 26, 2017, 22:38 MoreLuckThanSkill

People think the earth is flat, people think vaccines cause autism, people think the moon landing was faked, people think 9/11 was an inside job, people think Obama is a Kenyan Muslim who somehow became a US president, people think God(whatever your flavor) is real, etc.

Humanity in general probably has a genetic tendency to ignore logic in favor of interesting or appealing ideas. That was probably important at some stage of evolution... "Sure I can kill this Mega-Bear with my stick with a rock tied to it!" And then the rest of the tribe lives.

It's one of the bigger hurdles humanity will have to overcome at some point, that tendency to put faith/factless belief before evidence and reason. I don't think we'll ever overcome it, honestly.

3. Re: Into the Black Oct 26, 2017, 22:18 NKD

Saw another (less cheesy) video some time back by some film and photography nerd explaining this. People have all kinds of crazy explanations for why traveling to the moon is impossible, or would have been impossible back then. But it's actually simpler and requires less specialized knowledge to simply prove that what we saw was impossible to fake back then, and in some cases, still impossible to fake.  

2. Re: Into the Black Oct 26, 2017, 20:56 Bill Borre

The real improbability was that it was successful. The youtube videos detailing the steps for the deployment of the Webb telescope in space are so detailed that it'll be a minor miracle if that instrument becomes anything more than science's greatest boondoggle.  

1. Re: Into the Black Oct 26, 2017, 20:26 RedEye9

I refuse to believe that over 400k NASA employees would not go along with a faked moon landing, I saw Capricorn One damnit.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo