Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

The New York Times - Video Games Are Destroying the People Who Make Them.
"Among video game developers, it’s called “crunch”: a sudden spike in work hours, as many as 20 a day, that can last for days or weeks on end. During this time, they sleep at work, limit bathroom breaks and cut out anything that pulls their attention away from their screens, including family and even food. Crunch makes the industry roll — but it’s taking a serious toll on its workers."

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Op Ed Oct 27, 2017, 03:36 Asmodai

Red886 wrote on Oct 27, 2017, 01:39:
it's just bad management. don't make your staff do the same thing 5 times. and don't try to recreate the wheel with every new game. Setup another team, to do all the R&D.

Amazing how no one has mentioned the customer in this equation. Admittedly, the hype and expectation management is lacking, but you promise a ship date (and anyone in IT knows that apart from the most basic of tasks, that's a hazard right there) and don't hit it, your customers hit the proverbial fucking fan...

Witness the ongoing hostility re: Star Citizen in threads around here... "When it's done" is a filthy word to the consumer and people make demands and *surprise sur-fucking-prise* companies try to make it happen.

Sure, the corporate world carries a fairly big share of the blame with time limits due to funding etc, but let's not forget the part we all play in the problem...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Op Ed Oct 27, 2017, 01:39 Red886

it's just bad management. don't make your staff do the same thing 5 times. and don't try to recreate the wheel with every new game. Setup another team, to do all the R&D.  

18. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2017, 21:51 Suppa7

Squirmer wrote on Oct 26, 2017, 17:53:
I'm curious what's stopping them.

Them being idiots generally, their ego's being the main one and/or possibly fear of being replaced by people dying to get into the industry if they are too hung up on being in the game industry.

17. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2017, 18:37 Beamer

Timmeh wrote on Oct 26, 2017, 18:31:
only thing to say is..

TIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMEH

Every bit as predictable as the character he was named after.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2017, 18:31 Timmeh

only thing to say is..

@#$% liberal pieces of excrement. Every last lying scumbag one of them.

15. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2017, 17:53 Squirmer

If game devs unionized they could absolutely force publishers to change their practices. Publishers would shit their pants at the mere prospect of a strike. I'm curious what's stopping them.  

14. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2017, 17:43 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Oct 26, 2017, 15:53:
NKD wrote on Oct 26, 2017, 15:29:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 26, 2017, 14:48:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 26, 2017, 14:15:
"He knew what he was signing up for"
too soon

It's never too soon for "the best words."

JD has has a good brain and has said a lot of things.

"You know people don't understand, I went to an Ivy League college. I was a nice student. I did very well. I'm a very intelligent person."

I was literally JUST watching that disaster again like 30 seconds ago.

You are being watched.

13. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2017, 15:53 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Oct 26, 2017, 15:29:
too soon

"You know people don't understand, I went to an Ivy League college. I was a nice student. I did very well. I'm a very intelligent person."

Stay a while, and listen.

12. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2017, 15:29 NKD

too soon

You are being watched.

11. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2017, 14:48 RedEye9

too soon

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

10. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2017, 14:19 Suppa7

Bumpy wrote on Oct 26, 2017, 13:13:
Despite the hate for early access games, many EA games are honestly driven by passion instead of $$. BeamNG.drive is a great example of a small group of people passionate about making a game changing sim.

You mean unfinished game, the game is never going to be finished.

9. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2017, 14:15 jdreyer

Stay a while, and listen.

8. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2017, 13:13 Bumpy

Despite the hate for early access games, many EA games are honestly driven by passion instead of $$. BeamNG.drive is a great example of a small group of people passionate about making a game changing sim.  

7. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2017, 12:32 Beamer

MajorD wrote on Oct 26, 2017, 11:50:
Beamer wrote on Oct 26, 2017, 11:32:
MajorD wrote on Oct 26, 2017, 11:01:
Yeah, it's a shame really. With any Publisher-driven game there is no passion, fun, or artistic licenses.....those days have been long gone.

All it has become is about the bottom line and how soon a game can be shoved out the door, ready or not.

"Those days?" If anything, crunch is less now than it used to be. Which isn't saying things are good now, but this is what game development has been for 25 years.

...this is what game development has been for 25 years.

Agreed, but I see it as more extreme now. For example: Back in the early days id Software, they no doubt worked long hours, but those long hours were driven by their passion, not the cracking whip of a publisher trying to get a game shoved out the door as soon as possible.

id was, what, a six man team? You can still find six man teams out there doing games out of passion. Those games just can't keep up with AAA games as far as graphics and scope go, and are far less likely to earn much money. WIth Doom, id was already brushing up against the wall in what a tiny team could do.

As mentioned, though, this wasn't uncommon in non-independent developers even as far back as the 2600. When someone is responsible for hitting financial numbers, people start pushing. Indie devs can usually avoid this. Major ones can't. Indie devs give some of the absolute best games out there, but they're smaller and more intimate experiences that go deeper into a niche and sell far less than the AAA titles.

-------------

6. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2017, 12:22 yonder

It's not more extreme, it's more known. This is howned it's ALWAYS been, which, in video game years, means about 40 years. Do you remember (or if you aren't ancient, "have you heard of?") the ET game? Yeah... that was NOT an aberration. That was standard practice at publisher-driven development.

If you don't know the histories already, look up the history of EA and Activision. They were founded on the concept of being the anti-Atari, who was the Big Evil Publisher of the day (and the first MAJOR (stfu Midway Games) US video game publisher) who did this kind of stuff.

It's like when people were complaining about Clinton being un-Presidential with his sex stuff. Not un-true, but DEFINITELY not unprecedented. It was just more openly known *while* it was going on.

So yeah, news to those not on the know, but not news as in something new.

5. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2017, 12:19 Suppa7

"Those days?" If anything, crunch is less now than it used to be. Which isn't saying things are good now, but this is what game development has been for 25 years.

Games were much higher quality in the late 90's because budgets were smaller and graphics were less detailed projects were more manageable. Pc ports have been shit forever, go load up UT or UT2004 the options blow the socks off almost all modern AAA game ports.

4. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2017, 11:50 MajorD

Yeah, it's a shame really. With any Publisher-driven game there is no passion, fun, or artistic licenses.....those days have been long gone.

All it has become is about the bottom line and how soon a game can be shoved out the door, ready or not.

...this is what game development has been for 25 years.

Agreed, but I see it as more extreme now. For example: Back in the early days id Software, they no doubt worked long hours, but those long hours were driven by their passion, not the cracking whip of a publisher trying to get a game shoved out the door as soon as possible.

Still counting...

3. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2017, 11:32 Beamer

-------------

2. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2017, 11:11 Cutter

Yeah, I remember those days at EA. And it's stupid because people are so unproductive it's not funny. It's just a waste of time and money, and so completely unnecessary to begin with. Life is too short to engage in those sorts of shenanigans. It's what made me say 'Fuck this' to working in the industry.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

1. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2017, 11:01 MajorD

Still counting...

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo