Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Third-Party Overlays Versus Destiny 2

Bungie.net warns those playing Destiny 2 on the PC that many third-party applications that are not compatible with Bungie's just-released shooter sequel (thanks ASLayerAODsk). At issue are code injections, and some programs normally considered innocuous are problematic. The post discusses this from a game compatibility standpoint, but a thread on reddit warns that use of these third-party programs can result in a ban, and Bungie.net also warns that such bans are permanent. Bungie refutes this in a tweet from the Bungie PC project lead (thanks Eurogamer) literally calling BS on this, saying, "We do block programs from pushing their code into our game. Most overlays work like that. We don't ban for that tho. That's internet BS." There are lots of tweeted responses from users claiming they were banned and that this is not accurate. The list of programs to avoid from the reddit post includes hardware monitors, streaming software, and even Discord, though in some cases it's possible to use these as long as one avoids features that engage in the kind of code injection also seen in cheat programs (for instance you can use Discord as long as you don't use the overlay). Here's the reddit post from horkenstein on the topic:

There have been tons of reports of people getting banned for using the following software on PC:

Game Capture Mode in:
OBS
XSPLIT

Overlays in:
Fraps
Mumble
Discord

Hardware monitoring Software:
MSI Afterburner
EVGA Precision XOC

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Third-Party Overlays Versus Destiny 2 Oct 26, 2017, 08:40 Wallshadows

Lorcin wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 19:16:

Nevermind - debunked

For me it's generally used for the RivatunerStatisticServer since I like to see my usage across all cores, framerate and whatnot. I don't dare touch my factory overclocked 290x out of fear that it'll burn down my house if it gets any hotter so Afterburner itself is mostly used for a custom fan curve.

But yes, good to see some clarification.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Third-Party Overlays Versus Destiny 2 Oct 25, 2017, 21:43 Beamer

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 18:32:
Jagacademy wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 12:14:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 12:00:
If you use an AMD cpu you will be banned for some stupider reason.
Hah!

In reality though, anybody playing this on PC should be banned from gaming.

So will it take you being banned from Blues to quit being a douche?

Luke and CJ haven't been banned, and they post the same stuff this guy does but with more volume and more venom.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: Third-Party Overlays Versus Destiny 2 Oct 25, 2017, 19:16 Lorcin

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 15:03:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 11:52:
Sounds like typical internet BS.

It sounds like bullshit but in the case of Afterburner it's actually a legitimate concern since it "hooks" in to the game code in order to provide the on-screen information which can potentially trigger an anticheat system. It's such a problem that the software includes "stealth" and anti-detection measures in order to minimize that potential problem.

The thing is is that I've never known it to be a problem with big studio releases whereas I sometimes have to wrestle with it when it comes to indie multiplayer titles like 7 Days to Die which flat-out refused to work until they updated their anticheat system to be compatible with the newest version I was using.

I don't know about the rest though but if they use a similar method of obtaining information then it's possible or at least more believable than being out of town and your brother logged in.

I would just turn off the overlay options but guess it's not worth risking a ban for an extra few mhz. Hope they officially debunk this soon though (I have 8-10 hours played with afterburner in the background)

Nevermind - debunked

16. Re: Third-Party Overlays Versus Destiny 2 Oct 25, 2017, 19:11 NKD

KTR wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 14:50:
https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/46426

Apparently these fugboys used hacks during the beta.

Bungie waited for them to buy the game so they can be given a permanent ban.

4D chess, GGWP.

Aha. That explains why there were a few videos of people just playing the game normally and getting banned right there on stream. They had cheated, but it was in beta.

Citizen of the United Shitholes of America

15. Re: Third-Party Overlays Versus Destiny 2 Oct 25, 2017, 18:32 The Half Elf

Hah!

So will it take you being banned from Blues to quit being a douche?

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

14. Re: Third-Party Overlays Versus Destiny 2 Oct 25, 2017, 15:56 jacobvandy

KTR wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 14:50:

4D chess, GGWP.

Pwned, thanks for the follow-up. Internet bullshit, indeed!

13. Re: Third-Party Overlays Versus Destiny 2 Oct 25, 2017, 15:35 jdreyer

Hah!

Pirates and cheaters, the lot of them.

Stay a while, and listen.

12. Re: Third-Party Overlays Versus Destiny 2 Oct 25, 2017, 15:03 Wallshadows

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 11:52:

It sounds like bullshit but in the case of Afterburner it's actually a legitimate concern since it "hooks" in to the game code in order to provide the on-screen information which can potentially trigger an anticheat system. It's such a problem that the software includes "stealth" and anti-detection measures in order to minimize that potential problem.

The thing is is that I've never known it to be a problem with big studio releases whereas I sometimes have to wrestle with it when it comes to indie multiplayer titles like 7 Days to Die which flat-out refused to work until they updated their anticheat system to be compatible with the newest version I was using.

I don't know about the rest though but if they use a similar method of obtaining information then it's possible or at least more believable than being out of town and your brother logged in.

11. Re: Third-Party Overlays Versus Destiny 2 Oct 25, 2017, 14:50 KTR

4D chess, GGWP.

10. Re: Third-Party Overlays Versus Destiny 2 Oct 25, 2017, 12:19 Sacrifex

Still pretty content in my decision to wait until no less than 2-weeks in to buy this, so I could feel it out.

By that time, some worthwhile population data should be coming in, any unforeseen port issues should be revealed, and, we should have some idea if this is actually a problem, or no.

I will say - I'm somewhat skeptical about this being a thing though, because I thought that Bungee said Blizzard was helping with parts of the port, and the "How PC's work" knowledge - and between Plugins and streaming, from WoW to Hearthstone and Overwatch, it would be almost inconceivable for them to get it wrong with that pedigree. I could be wrong that Blizzard was doing more than hosting them on the storefront, and if I am, feel free to correct me.

Time will tell, but I'm glad my wallet is safely out of the war-zone for now.

9. Re: Third-Party Overlays Versus Destiny 2 Oct 25, 2017, 12:17 MacLeod

NKD wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 11:29:
Way too many reports of bans for this just to be some cheaters crying. And of course Bungie denies there's any problem.

Where exactly are these "too many reports" because I look at that thread, and see:

1) original post claiming that
2) people saying bungie said its not true
3) people saying they've been using stuff on the OP list for hours and no issue
4) 75% of the people ranting and raving about how bungie banning people is BS and they're getting a refund. (without actually being banned.

I'm willing to bet that 95% of these bans are going to be either from people with shady purchasing locations, or cheating, as usually happens when someone in an MMO starts claiming they were banned for using "x" normal program.

8. Re: Third-Party Overlays Versus Destiny 2 Oct 25, 2017, 12:14 Jagacademy

Hah!

7. Re: Third-Party Overlays Versus Destiny 2 Oct 25, 2017, 12:13 Jagacademy

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 11:56:
Hah

6. Re: Third-Party Overlays Versus Destiny 2 Oct 25, 2017, 12:11 SpectralMeat

That would be quiet big of a fuck up. I did see news stories today that says if you use Win10 you'll be banned
I understand people that were streaming or recording gameplay are getting banned for some stupid reson

Steam: SpectralMeat

5. Re: Third-Party Overlays Versus Destiny 2 Oct 25, 2017, 12:00 RedEye9

That would be quiet big of a fuck up. I did see news stories today that says if you use Win10 you'll be banned
I understand people that were streaming or recording gameplay are getting banned for some stupid reson

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

4. Re: Third-Party Overlays Versus Destiny 2 Oct 25, 2017, 11:56 SpectralMeat

Frijoles wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 11:33:
People saying they were banned for using the nVidia overlay thing. That'd be quite the fuck-up since they're partners. And it's a default installation option in the drivers. Pretty sure mine was on but not recording last night and I have not been banned yet.

Steam: SpectralMeat

3. Re: Third-Party Overlays Versus Destiny 2 Oct 25, 2017, 11:52 RedEye9

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

2. Re: Third-Party Overlays Versus Destiny 2 Oct 25, 2017, 11:33 Frijoles

People saying they were banned for using the nVidia overlay thing. That'd be quite the fuck-up since they're partners. And it's a default installation option in the drivers. Pretty sure mine was on but not recording last night and I have not been banned yet.  

1. Re: Third-Party Overlays Versus Destiny 2 Oct 25, 2017, 11:29 NKD

Way too many reports of bans for this just to be some cheaters crying. And of course Bungie denies there's any problem.  

Citizen of the United Shitholes of America

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo