Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 26, 2017, 02:13 Flo

My Xbox One Kinect found a new home plugged into my desktop PC to allow Windows Hello Face Login, which is awesome. Once you get used to it everything else feels old  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 25, 2017, 20:07 Tom

Kinect was a reaction to the Wii's runaway success. A rather late reaction. Wii came out Nov. 2006, Kinect came out Nov. 2010.

It's really interesting to me how Nintendo succeeded at motion controllers while MS and Sony failed. I think it's a case study in execution. Nintendo just plain out-executed them on all fronts.

Even today, Nintendo is raking in the bucks with the Switch. The Switch finally dropped support for the original Wiimotes but from what I've read, its Joy-Con controllers include motion-sensing functionality that continues to evolve this technology.

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2017, 19:30 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 18:27:
DangerDog wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 14:56:
On one hand I can see how this was never going to take off, VR is in the same boat - not many people want to get up and move around in they would rather sit and be a console couch potato.

My best VR experiences are sitting down...

VR pr0n?

Stay a while, and listen.

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2017, 18:44 Suppa7

DangerDog wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 15:00:
You would think so but people don't seem to mind inviting google/apple/amazon into their homes to be recorded 24/7.

There can't be a market or accountability when companies are 100's of miles away, it's not that people don't want privacy it's that it's very hard to function in society without something like google. Internet is basically a utility.

The reality is the internet breaks the market.

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2017, 18:27 HorrorScope

DangerDog wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 14:56:
On one hand I can see how this was never going to take off, VR is in the same boat - not many people want to get up and move around in they would rather sit and be a console couch potato.

My best VR experiences are sitting down...

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2017, 16:49 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 11:17:
Bill Borre wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 10:59:
I thought Kinect was interesting technology. I could see how online gamers could use it to record their own combat animations to upload them to fighting games or mmos if games were ever developed to allow such a degree of user customization.

I wonder if the technology really doesn't have broad appeal or it just wasn't marketed adequately?

It didn't have broad appeal in that market in that usage in that manner. Lots of people enjoyed the Kinect on the 360, I know I did. Not frequently, but it made for some really entertaining party games. I still have photos somewhere from when I had it running in the corner of a Halloween party, and there were more than a few Saturday nights that a group of 4 or 6 would end up at my place around 1 am and do the dance competition games.

But Microsoft tried to force it before it was ready, which people resented (the whole launch was an issue, and Kinect was a symptom of the issue, but it got a lot of ill will.) There weren't really any hardcore games for it, and it's hard to imagine ones that could have been made. It was more for casual and party games.

The tech lives on. Microsoft is using it in Hololens and any other VR type headsets they're working on. Apple bought the company that made it and is doing some really cool AR stuff - measuring your room with your phone's camera is pretty badass. We'll see successor technology everywhere within 5 years. But I don't think we'll see a Kinect as it was. I can imagine it being part of VR setups, though.

Offloading the Kinect's calculations onto the 360 was a big mistake and was the death knell for it. They needed to keep the on board processor on it to eliminate the lag and the accuracy issues. The prototypes rocked, the commercial version sucked.

I hacked my 360 Kinect to face track on my PC and used it as a head-tracker alternative. It worked pretty well for that in Elite but was such a pain in the ass that I finally took it apart when I moved and didn't bother with setting it back up.

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2017, 15:00 DangerDog

Cutter wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 12:07:
I thought Kinect was interesting technology. I could see how online gamers could use it to record their own combat animations to upload them to fighting games or mmos if games were ever developed to allow such a degree of user customization.

I wonder if the technology really doesn't have broad appeal or it just wasn't marketed adequately?

No, it's because they were using it to spy on people. Also their whole attitude is a classic business mistake of telling people what they want instead of listening to what they want. A very expensive mistake.

You would think so but people don't seem to mind inviting google/apple/amazon into their homes to be recorded 24/7.

now excuse me while I unlock my phone with a face scanner.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2017, 14:56 DangerDog

on the other hand this sucks for people researching robotics and giving computers "vision", almost all of these MIT like projects use the Kinect. I guess they'll have to rip the sensors out of the new VR room-space scanning headsets.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2017, 13:54 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 13:36:
RE: Kinect. If the security and privacy issues could be worked out (and that's a big if) I wonder what people think of the technology overall. There's some potential there, especially for party and family gaming and also workouts, although you need a fair bit of space for it.

It's married to one device that is stuck on another device. Then you get into the space restrictions, a good chunk of its intended market lives in apartments that can't even use it properly. All of that severely limits its applicability in the marketplace. Kinect found its very limited potential and that was making an ass of yourself dancing with friends while drunk. People often say "oh geeez what great tech I wish the devs would've taken more risks with it" but plenty of devs got soaked trying to make/shoehorn Kinect into their games. Microsoft's own partners couldn't do shit with it. It was awful for gaming, a combination of a poor control interface and processing delay.

These kinds of peripherals have been around for a long time and even when they were just dance mats they couldn't carve out a niche, let alone something this expensive. Frankly its a testament to the Xbox brand power that they were able to force as many of these things onto the market as they did because for gaming Kinect is an awful product.

If people are really interested in party/social gaming then Nintendo is the only game in town now. That dual joycon thing was brilliant.

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2017, 13:48 Cutter

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 13:21:
Just think how good they could have made their last console (Xbox One) if they didn't neuter the system by forcing this as a pack-in at launch. Not only could the money/resources for this lame-duck tech have gone into better internal parts of the console (you know.. the parts that MATTER for gaming), but they wouldn't have had to reserve a portion of their already struggling processor just for this fad hardware that they had some good success with on the 360. They should have just made the XB1 backwards compatible with the Kinect, and release an updated version so people could decide for themselves whether they wanted to get it, instead of forcing it upon each and every person who bought their new console. What a shitty Microsoft-worthy move.

Instead, think about if they had never wasted their time and money on consoles to begin and focused solely on Windows PC gaming. They would have dominated the market so hard there wouldn't be any consoles today, everyone would simply be a PC gamer.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2017, 13:36 jdreyer

RE: Kinect. If the security and privacy issues could be worked out (and that's a big if) I wonder what people think of the technology overall. There's some potential there, especially for party and family gaming and also workouts, although you need a fair bit of space for it.  

Stay a while, and listen.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2017, 13:21 Mordecai Walfish

Just think how good they could have made their last console (Xbox One) if they didn't neuter the system by forcing this as a pack-in at launch. Not only could the money/resources for this lame-duck tech have gone into better internal parts of the console (you know.. the parts that MATTER for gaming), but they wouldn't have had to reserve a portion of their already struggling processor just for this fad hardware that they had some good success with on the 360. They should have just made the XB1 backwards compatible with the Kinect, and release an updated version so people could decide for themselves whether they wanted to get it, instead of forcing it upon each and every person who bought their new console. What a shitty Microsoft-worthy move.  

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2017, 12:44 Luke

Cutter wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 12:07:

No, it's because they were using it to spy on people. Also their whole attitude is a classic business mistake of telling people what they want instead of listening to what they want. A very expensive mistake.

Sucking the sheep's dry for data , knowing where they are , fingerprint from logon , and VR iris scanning next up : logon with your blood ....humans are fucked...or rather they want to be fucked in every hole..

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2017, 12:07 Cutter

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2017, 11:38 Verno

It's a camera and a microphone thats stuck to a single platform and a single device. It also had awful processing latency and no real killer apps. Kinect sucked to be honest, it was just a shitty product that didn't belong in the gaming industry. It was part of Don Mattrick's bizarre Xbox is everything to everyone initiative.

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2017, 11:17 Beamer

It didn't have broad appeal in that market in that usage in that manner. Lots of people enjoyed the Kinect on the 360, I know I did. Not frequently, but it made for some really entertaining party games. I still have photos somewhere from when I had it running in the corner of a Halloween party, and there were more than a few Saturday nights that a group of 4 or 6 would end up at my place around 1 am and do the dance competition games.

But Microsoft tried to force it before it was ready, which people resented (the whole launch was an issue, and Kinect was a symptom of the issue, but it got a lot of ill will.) There weren't really any hardcore games for it, and it's hard to imagine ones that could have been made. It was more for casual and party games.

The tech lives on. Microsoft is using it in Hololens and any other VR type headsets they're working on. Apple bought the company that made it and is doing some really cool AR stuff - measuring your room with your phone's camera is pretty badass. We'll see successor technology everywhere within 5 years. But I don't think we'll see a Kinect as it was. I can imagine it being part of VR setups, though.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2017, 10:59 Bill Borre

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2017, 10:44 Nighthawk

The funniest thing, there's been so little talk about it, I actually asked myself what Kinect was, had to click the link to find out.  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo