Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist

An interview on The Telegraph chats about the PC edition of Destiny 2 with David Shaw, PC project lead at Bungie, and Thomas Gawrys, lead engineer at Vicarious Visions (thanks DSOGaming). They discuss the challenges of bringing the game to Windows, what they learned from beta testing, and more. They say they've received some negative feedback about aim assist for controllers on the PC, but they indicate that for now they plan on keeping this in the release version as well. Here's word on mouse, keyboard, and controller support:

Given the possibility to play with a mouse and keyboard, would PC be the platform of choice if Destiny 2 were ever to move towards esports?

Gawrys - We love seeing that people spin off their own tournaments and different stuff like that for competitive gaming we don't have anything to announce right now about esports.

Shaw - I think we kinda look at it as that we didn't try to go build an esports, it's nothing we're opposed to in any way, but I think the esports community would decide what the best way to play it is. From our perspective, however people want to play, I mean a lot of the input we put on PC was about choice, letting people play the way they want to play on the hardware they want to play on.

Would you be looking at changing the aim assist on PC if player feedback calls for it to be improved, lessened, or otherwise changed?

Shaw - So, we heard feedback on that and we're definitely listening and we'll continue to listen going forward, but right now we are planning to ship the controller similar to how it was in the beta. We think our controls on the controller are pretty good, and people seem to like them, and we think that the PC players should have the ability to play that way if that's their choice.

Is it possible that you might change that in the future depending on how the community feels about it?

Shaw - I would be speculating, I can't really say what we might or might not do.We're definitely going to listen to feedback, we can commit to that. What we will or won't change, that I can't say with any confidence.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist Oct 25, 2017, 05:46 djinn

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 17:06:
djinn wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 11:24:
The Half Elf wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 11:14:
You mean like how GTA 4 and 5 have it on PC and somehow everything is still ok in the universe?

Gta5 had aim assist with mouse/keyboard?

No and neither does this.

Yea it was rhetorical.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist Oct 24, 2017, 23:55 Numinar

I haven't jumped in on PC, but some weapons actually have extra aim assist as a perk.

M/KB actually affects the console balance, as the hand-cannons (Big chunky pistols weapons) have reduced tracking compared to the original Destiny. I'm guessing this was a balance thing. It's a weapon class that should shine in M/KB use.

Bungie has always been good about tuning each individual gun to feel great on a controller. It's why the Gearbox port of the original game felt 'off'. I bet anyone using XIM will feel the same, advantages of aim assist with mouse and keyboard but without the same acceleration curves that make the experience feel awesome and hand tuned that anyone who has ever tried to set up a HOTAS will attest to.

22. Re: Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist Oct 24, 2017, 17:06 The Half Elf

You mean like how GTA 4 and 5 have it on PC and somehow everything is still ok in the universe?

No and neither does this.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

21. Re: Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist Oct 24, 2017, 16:25 jdreyer

Doesn't make a difference for PvE. Maybe there will be servers for PvP that forces PvP off? Then people could have a choice?  

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

20. Re: Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist Oct 24, 2017, 15:56 DangerDog

Sounds like a business opportunity for a cottage industry of console controllers adapted to use keyboard and mouse, kind of like those XIM break out boxes they sell for consoles.

Are people lame enough to go through that much effort to cheat? yes they are.

I imagine there's already aimbots for the game.

edit: just saw Talutha's post, my thoughts exactly. Nobody is buying this game for PvP are they?

19. Re: Game Reviews Oct 24, 2017, 15:41 peteham

Talutha wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 12:27:
Basically XIM takes a mouse and keyboard and translates it into controller inputs for consoles so you can use M/K controls on a PS4 or XB1. But people are using it on the PC version of Destiny 2 in the competitive multiplayer tricking it into thinking you're using a controller, but you're actually using a M/K. This bundled with the fact that aim assist is VERY liberal in how close you have to be before it locks on basically means you have a very good, fully sanctioned aim hack with mouse and keyboard.
Would be interested in trying just to see what it's like. Since this still has to be translated into stick movement, I assume it has to feel fairly sluggish compared to M/KB, like vsync + triple buffering from hell?

Anyway, coming into Destiny 2 now after a month of PUBG, it's downright amaaazing how snappy and precise the mouse movement feels. Double whammy of port being great and PUBG being pretty rough around the edges But for someone really good with M/KB it's hard to imagine controller aim assist being better even with XIM unless it's better than I imagine. Then again, I seem to recall some other game a while back (was it Halo 2 PC? I don't recall) that had either cross play or multiple controllers, where the net code and aim assist kind of worked together to make it infinitely easier to land melee hits with a controller. And while I've never played Destiny multiplayer, it seems as if melee and slow projectile super-powers may be as much of a thing as fast head shots with hitscan weapons, and some gracious aim assist would definitely help big-time there.

18. Re: Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist Oct 24, 2017, 15:19 Rhett

Just to clarify, this is definitely aimed at controllers (as previously said) - there IS an aim assist option for KB/M, but it's off by default. There are a shit ton of both gameplay and graphic options as well.

Game looks beautiful and runs great.

17. Re: Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist Oct 24, 2017, 14:45 Beamer

Jagacademy wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 14:28:
Frijoles wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 11:28:

Do you know how hard it is to hit a motorcycle while driving at 100+mph WITHOUT aim assist?? Sheesh.

It is incredibly easy to do in PUBG.

PUBG has aim assist, confirmed!

PUBG has controller support and this is easy, or are you ignoring that the support here is strictly controller support?

Looking through your post history, all you do here is whine angrily about console ports. Endless posts about console ports and how terrible they are. Why don't you just stop paying attention to them and focus on what you enjoy? You must enjoy something, other than whining, but it's hard to tell when all your effort is focused on what you hate (and hating people that enjoy it), and so little effort focused on what you like.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist Oct 24, 2017, 14:44 Cutter

Translation: We don't give a fuck what PC gamers want. Just shut up and give us your money already.

Pass.

"They call me a chauvinist pig. I am . . . and I don't give a damn!" - Steve McQueen

15. Re: Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist Oct 24, 2017, 14:35 MacLeod

Jagacademy wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 14:28:

Waste of ammo. Just wait 30 seconds for the guy to accelerate full speed over a hillock and kill himself in the flip/crash. :p

14. Re: Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist Oct 24, 2017, 14:28 Jagacademy

Do you know how hard it is to hit a motorcycle while driving at 100+mph WITHOUT aim assist?? Sheesh.

13. Re: Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist Oct 24, 2017, 14:24 Darks

Umm, really hard?

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

12. Re: Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist Oct 24, 2017, 12:27 Talutha

I think everyone is missing the real issue on why this was brought up. Whats happening isn't the fact that controllers have aim assist, its an issue with XIM controllers.

Basically XIM takes a mouse and keyboard and translates it into controller inputs for consoles so you can use M/K controls on a PS4 or XB1. But people are using it on the PC version of Destiny 2 in the competitive multiplayer tricking it into thinking you're using a controller, but you're actually using a M/K. This bundled with the fact that aim assist is VERY liberal in how close you have to be before it locks on basically means you have a very good, fully sanctioned aim hack with mouse and keyboard.

Personally I don't have a problem with the aim assist in the PvE portion of the game, I doubt I would ever notice anyone using it anyway. But in the PvP part of the game its going to be very frustrating if you come across anyone using it. Most cheaters buy multiple copies of games when they get banned so buying a XIM and never getting banned is a very low cost for most of them. Hopefully they do decide to turn off aim assist in PvP because it could be very bad in the long run.

11. Re: Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist Oct 24, 2017, 12:21 ItBurn

I wonder how mouse players do against people with aim assist. It's kinda like playing with hackers. Anyway, there's no way I'm buying this "industry bad practices simulator".  

10. Re: Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist Oct 24, 2017, 11:28 Frijoles

9. Re: Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist Oct 24, 2017, 11:27 Verno

SirKnight wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 11:15:
Sounds like to me this is just when playing with a controller. So if you're playing with KB/MS (which you SHOULD be), what's the big deal? Controllers do need aim assist since it's so much harder to be accurate with an analog stick vs a mouse.

Do they "need" it or do users just want it because it makes things easier and they don't have to bother adjusting sensitivity and etc? To me aim assist sucks, I want to earn my own kills. Aim assist is right up there with cheating IMO. Most games have it on consoles, most you can't even disable it and it drives me insane trying to play TPS/FPS on those.

Playing: Ni No Kuni 2, Persona 5, Vermintide 2
Watching: Annihilation, The Quiet Place, A Dark Song

8. Re: Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist Oct 24, 2017, 11:24 djinn

7. Re: Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist Oct 24, 2017, 11:16 Beamer

But yet a game like Overwatch has magic hit detection based per weapon and Hanzo is still in the game?

Shhhhh. People like Rockstar because it hasn't done anything in the last 20 years for them to hold a ridiculous grudge over. Bungie allowed itself to be purchased by Microsoft, and therefore when they do the same thing they're evil and anyone buying the game is stupid!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist Oct 24, 2017, 11:15 SirKnight

Sounds like to me this is just when playing with a controller. So if you're playing with KB/MS (which you SHOULD be), what's the big deal? Controllers do need aim assist since it's so much harder to be accurate with an analog stick vs a mouse.  

5. Re: Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist Oct 24, 2017, 11:14 The Half Elf

But yet a game like Overwatch has magic hit detection based per weapon and Hanzo is still in the game?

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo