Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

PUBG as a Service: No Sequel Plans

A video on IGN Access features an interview with PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Brendan "PLAYERUNKNOWN" Greene about the future of this battle royale game that's taken the PC gaming scene by storm (thanks GameSpot). He discusses plans to launch the game on Xbox One, and looks to the future, saying rather than gearing up to create a sequel, the plan is to evolve the original game to follow the games as a service model. Here's word on where he sees the game five years from now:

Oh no, we're building this game as a service. So, we'll still have the boxed copy that you buy, that's what you get for PUBG. We still want to polish and refine and add more maps, add more assets, and continually kind of refine the gameplay and optimize as we go forward.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: PUBG as a Service: No Sequel Plans Oct 24, 2017, 12:51 Retired

chickenboo wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 15:21:
Cutter wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 13:14:
SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 10:17:
Like an MMO? I don't understand what they mean by building this game as a service.

What is any software service? It means monthly fees and transactions instead of a one time purchase. Yeah I don't imagine that'll go over well. These guys need a reality check. Sooner or later this game will fade as all flavors of the month do. The reason some games like CS have longevity is because they're free.

I'm picturing more of a Team Fortress 2 model. Keep the community alive with constant updates, lots of little cosmetics players can buy, a lively competitive scene. Games As Service doesn't necessarily mean Subscription Fees anymore.

*DING

Which is exactly what he says, but for some reason no one bothered to read the yellow text.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: PUBG as a Service: No Sequel Plans Oct 24, 2017, 11:07 TMGeorge

jdreyer wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 05:05:
TMGeorge wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 03:41:
MacLeod wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 12:18:
TMGeorge wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 11:41:
Maybe they should start addressing the fucking cheaters.

They banned over 150,000 in Sept and another 322,000 in October... They seem to be at least addressing the issue.

Obviously that's not enough. NA Scorebored Top10 is full of cheaters. Reporting at the end seems only to be for statistics. It's real bad that cheaters can go on for so long otherwise they wouldn't be Top10. I also think that there are some obvious cheats which could be detected server side easily but nothing seems to be done here.
Source?

Not sure what you weant to have source for. But The NA Scoreboard is full of player named WG.... . You can see much too high K/D ratios. And if you report a player PUBG shows a text that it's only for statistics. I also think speed hacks could be detected server side.

37. Re: PUBG as a Service: No Sequel Plans Oct 24, 2017, 05:05 jdreyer

TMGeorge wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 03:41:

They banned over 150,000 in Sept and another 322,000 in October... They seem to be at least addressing the issue.

Obviously that's not enough. NA Scorebored Top10 is full of cheaters. Reporting at the end seems only to be for statistics. It's real bad that cheaters can go on for so long otherwise they wouldn't be Top10. I also think that there are some obvious cheats which could be detected server side easily but nothing seems to be done here.
Source?

Stay a while, and listen.

36. Re: PUBG as a Service: No Sequel Plans Oct 24, 2017, 03:41 TMGeorge

35. Re: PUBG as a Service: No Sequel Plans Oct 24, 2017, 01:34 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 18:43:
I'm picturing more of a Team Fortress 2 model. Keep the community alive with constant updates, lots of little cosmetics players can buy, a lively competitive scene. Games As Service doesn't necessarily mean Subscription Fees anymore.

From what I see of their attitude and sense of entitlement I'd say they honestly believe that the sun shines out of their asses and will think they can charge for it as a service and get away with it. They're in for a rude awakening if they do. And the fact they're discussing this while their first game is still in EA only confirms that suspicion for me. It reminds me of devs like Crytek who believed their own press and where are they now? On fames backside is where.

Be careful.
You're at risk of collapsing in on yourself and forming a blackhole at this density.

34. Re: PUBG as a Service: No Sequel Plans Oct 23, 2017, 22:21 christheshitter

ForgedReality wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 16:35:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 10:43:
Until the udders run dry and only then will they launch a sequel. Think CSGO or TF2 something like that. Those have been going for years and years as well while only getting patched and DLC'ed with no sequels in sight.

CSGO is brand-fucking-new compared to TF2. TF2: 1997. CSGO: 2012 (I'm actually surprised it's that old).

Really what are you smoking? Half Life TF Classic came the year 1999 not TF2 which came 2007. As someone already noted TF2 was planned as a successor to HL TF Classic but it never went to fruition.

And CSGO is shit compared to CS classic that also came in 1999.

33. Re: PUBG as a Service: No Sequel Plans Oct 23, 2017, 21:00 Dev

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 19:33:
These games come and go, next spring it will be another game and this one will have already been forgotten. They should milk this game all they can while it is pertinent. The chances of a sequel being another hit are quite slim.

Games that beat previous steam records held by F2P DOTA2, and all records for most simultaneous players on steam?
Those don't come and go.

15 million sales of PUBG puts it into top 50 games of all time territory. That is close to The Sims spot of 16 million.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

In terms of just PC games, that puts it in top 3, beating out diablo 2, starcraft, etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_games

32. Re: PUBG as a Service: No Sequel Plans Oct 23, 2017, 19:51 RedEye9

gsilver wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 18:11:
And remember:
If there's anyone on the service that you don't like and they killed you in game, after a match with them, just say that you're a Twitch streamer and they stream sniped you.
https://m.popkey.co/08cd02/oZ8aJ.gif

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

31. Re: PUBG as a Service: No Sequel Plans Oct 23, 2017, 19:33 Ozmodan

These games come and go, next spring it will be another game and this one will have already been forgotten. They should milk this game all they can while it is pertinent. The chances of a sequel being another hit are quite slim.  

30. Re: PUBG as a Service: No Sequel Plans Oct 23, 2017, 19:10 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 17:32:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 17:28:
Until the udders run dry and only then will they launch a sequel. Think CSGO or TF2 something like that. Those have been going for years and years as well while only getting patched and DLC'ed with no sequels in sight.

CSGO is brand-fucking-new compared to TF2. TF2: 1997. CSGO: 2012 (I'm actually surprised it's that old).
The original TF came out in 97. TF2 came out in 2007.

Or the alternate reality where it came out in 2007
Heh, I remember that screenshot from Computer Gaming World magazine.

29. Re: PUBG as a Service: No Sequel Plans Oct 23, 2017, 18:43 Cutter

From what I see of their attitude and sense of entitlement I'd say they honestly believe that the sun shines out of their asses and will think they can charge for it as a service and get away with it. They're in for a rude awakening if they do. And the fact they're discussing this while their first game is still in EA only confirms that suspicion for me. It reminds me of devs like Crytek who believed their own press and where are they now? On fames backside is where.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

28. Re: PUBG as a Service: No Sequel Plans Oct 23, 2017, 18:11 gsilver

And remember:
If there's anyone on the service that you don't like and they killed you in game, after a match with them, just say that you're a Twitch streamer and they stream sniped you.

27. Re: PUBG as a Service: No Sequel Plans Oct 23, 2017, 17:43 HorrorScope

Full circle here boys, coin-op style. $1.00 entry and up per game with cash rewards.  

26. Re: PUBG as a Service: No Sequel Plans Oct 23, 2017, 17:32 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 17:28:

Or the alternate reality where it came out in 2007

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

25. Re: PUBG as a Service: No Sequel Plans Oct 23, 2017, 17:28 jdreyer

24. Re: PUBG as a Service: No Sequel Plans Oct 23, 2017, 17:13 Squirmer

Curious if those of you complaining about this would prefer they release yearly sequels, EA/Activision style. If not, what would be your plan to actually make money? I thought gamers wanted devs to keep supporting a game instead of abandoning it, but they have to make money doing so. The game's sold a lot of copies, but that doesn't last too long when you're paying wages. And they must have a lot of wages to pay by this point.  

23. Re: PUBG as a Service: No Sequel Plans Oct 23, 2017, 17:13 jdreyer

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 15:12:
Was anyone even under the impression that there would be a sequel especially seeing as how it's still the top selling title?

If they started now, it wouldn't be ready until 2019 or 2020. Who knows how many people will still be buying PUBG then.

22. Re: PUBG as a Service: No Sequel Plans Oct 23, 2017, 17:06 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 14:09:
Wesp5 wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 14:02:
Beamer wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 10:48:
Every day there are probably hundreds of kids turning 6-8 and discovering Minecraft for the first time, and for whom graphics aren't a huge deal.

Is this really the audience of Minecraft? Remembering some of the worlds I saw on YouTube I would guess it's rather the ultimate Nerd's dream...

It's the entry-level to the audience. And probably the most dedicated. I remember being on a flight and the person in front of me was building the most incredible, detailed structure I'd ever seen. Lots of logic added, too, the type of stuff I never learned in Minecraft (I also never played it in god mode, which he was in.) Was shocked to see it was like a 9 year old, building basic circuits.

Minecraft is huge huge huge amongst grade school kids. Big with everyone, but has basically taken marketshare and mindshare from both video games and Legos with the rugrat demographic. Still played by, and fun for, millions of adults, though.
I love playing MC with my kids. We play a few times a month and have a few worlds we're working on: a survival world, a building world, etc. The latest UI updates have made the game much easier to play on mobile. For me personally, I like the laid back pace, exploration, and building aspects.

21. Re: PUBG as a Service: No Sequel Plans Oct 23, 2017, 16:35 ForgedReality

20. Re: PUBG as a Service: No Sequel Plans Oct 23, 2017, 16:22 Dev

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 15:12:
Was anyone even under the impression that there would be a sequel especially seeing as how it's still the top selling title?
Typically on a top selling game, there's sequel plans with the same IP. Yes, even this far ahead... since it usually takes years to make a new AAA game. The only difference is we aren't usually told about it until it is further along. Here they are straight up saying there won't be.

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo