Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Destructoid - Is the end nigh for single-player games?
"Unfortunately, it may be the case that people are simply becoming tired of single-player campaigns, even if they don't want to admit that to themselves. They surreptitiously only play GTA V for the online multiplayer components, and would never think of playing Watch Dogs 2 without mowing down other player-controlled hackers in a 4x4. And even if players do want single-player games, that needs to convert to cold, hard cash Ė studios can't survive on fans' love. Fans need to go out and buy as much content as they can to keep the games going, at least for a little while longer. And even then, we may see them collapse for good in ten years' time."

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Op Ed Oct 24, 2017, 21:13 jdreyer

Unfortunately when presented with facts that contradict their world view, people double down.  

Stay a while, and listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Op Ed Oct 24, 2017, 17:45 RedEye9

MajorD wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 15:26:
Rigs wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 17:15:
........No, we needed to see just how bad it could get if we just don't give a shit about what our government does and let it do it's own thing without repercussions. =-Rigs-=

We did that with Obama for two terms, and look where it got us: ACA / Obama Care shoved down our throats/higher health insurance cost, more entitlement programs / higher taxes, weakened military, increase in opiate deaths, reduced manufacturing / increased imports, insanely increased national debt, etc. Should I go on?
By all means keep going because you haven't got anything right so far, go ahead and knock yourself out.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

33. Re: Op Ed Oct 24, 2017, 15:58 Beamer

MajorD wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 15:26:
........No, we needed to see just how bad it could get if we just don't give a shit about what our government does and let it do it's own thing without repercussions. =-Rigs-=

We did that with Obama for two terms, and look where it got us: ACA / Obama Care shoved down our throats/higher health insurance cost, more entitlement programs / higher taxes, weakened military, increase in opiate deaths, reduced manufacturing / increased imports, insanely increased national debt, etc. Should I go on?

How was it "shoved down our throats?" It was passed by both Houses. It was a Phase 1 neutered version, with Phase 2 having lots of improvement we never saw.

Are entitlement programs really harming you? What is taking more from your paycheck, CEO pay or entitlement programs? Which is adding more to the economy, CEO pay or entitlement programs? CEO pay is limiting your pay, whereas entitlement programs hardly impact you, and CEO pay is leading to money stagnating, whereas entitlement programs not only give people the means to, y'know, live, but also puts a lot of money back into the economy, which strengthens it.

Historically speaking, taxes are ludicrously low, which is also why there's less money in your pocket.

Not sure if we can blame the opioid problem on Obama, though he certainly didn't help it. Manufacturing is hard to blame on him, though, as Trump is kind of proving as he fails to do anything to bring manufacturing back despite giving lots of tax breaks, reducing regulations, and putting tons of political pressure out there. The bottom line is people aren't willing to pay more for goods in order to buy American (though, if taxes went up on the top 0.01%, that may change.)

The debt implosion was a response to 2008, and started before Obama came into office. Again, not something he did a lot to stem, but something happening long before him and still happening now. Percentagewise, Obama increased the debt less than Bush did, and much less than Reagan did (another president facing a huge economic downturn.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

32. Re: Op Ed Oct 24, 2017, 15:26 MajorD

Still counting...

31. Re: Op Ed Oct 24, 2017, 10:39 audun

Iím 35, I have lots of SP games in my Steam library that I havenít had the time to play yet. At the current rate I think I will only have to buy a new one in 2022. Then Iíll get the Witcher 3, which I hear is great. Or something else thatís well reviewed and Iíll know Iíll like. Ok so maybe Iím not the ideal customer, but as long as some company somewhere can churn out a decent SP game once or twice per decade Iím pretty much satisfied.  

30. Re: Op Ed Oct 24, 2017, 02:59 El Pit

"...people are simply becoming tired of single-player campaigns, even if they don't want to admit that to themselves."

Hilarious.

Gamer: "Hey, Destructoid, but I only play single-player games."
Destructoid: "Yes, because you don't want to admit to yourself that you rather want to play multiplayer games."
Gamer: "But why would I then not just play multiplayer games?"
Destructoid: "Because you don't admit it to yourself."
Gamer: "Uhm... Have you ever considered a therapy? I think you need lots of it. Years and years of therapy."
Destructoid: "No, but you want to play multiplayer games. WE know it. YOU don't."
Gamer: "Alright, nevermind."

I love my Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout (old AND new!), Divinity, Wolfenstein, Doom, GTA OFFLINE, and so on. And as long as people buy these games, they will get produced. Single-player games are about as dead as pc gaming is. PC gaming has been declared dead when? A decade ago or more? And it is still alive and kicking.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

29. Re: Op Ed Oct 23, 2017, 20:21 Suppa7

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 19:46:
Suppa7 wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 18:50:
The reason they became sleazy is because the market doesn't work when your customers are 100's of miles away post internet.
Now that they can take games hostage via mmo's and drm at the computers inside their offices they can just exploit from afar.Kids and gamers generally - their primate minds never evolved to make rational decisions in a high tech capitalist society
So the fix is we should all turn off the internet and move closer to a game developer...
Your record is broke , please flip it over and play side B.

It can't be fixed people are too stupid for capitalism, that's the reality. I held out for almost 10 years after steam was released but there are new kids being born around the globe and the country, you can't stop kids and their tech illiterate parents from entering their credit card and buying shit for their kids.

28. Re: Op Ed Oct 23, 2017, 19:59 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 19:25:
This one is arguably completely disfunctional, having accomplishing nothing in the first 300 days and the press full of stories about secretary of state calling the president a fucking moron, and the president telling breaved parents of soldiers that their son "knew what he signed up for." The comparison to any other administration in the past 100 years isn't even comparable. The needle is off the gauge.
ďItís unfair to judge a president on his first 300 days

27. Re: Op Ed Oct 23, 2017, 19:46 RedEye9

Suppa7 wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 18:50:
The reason they became sleazy is because the market doesn't work when your customers are 100's of miles away post internet.
Now that they can take games hostage via mmo's and drm at the computers inside their offices they can just exploit from afar.Kids and gamers generally - their primate minds never evolved to make rational decisions in a high tech capitalist society
So the fix is we should all turn off the internet and move closer to a game developer...
Your record is broke , please flip it over and play side B.

26. Re: Op Ed Oct 23, 2017, 19:25 jdreyer

FloorPie wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 18:59:
"Only after Trump could we actually appreciate what it's like to have a working, stable government..."

That you think we've had that working stable government at all in the past 30+ years is hilarious. Bush1, Clinton, Shrub2, and Obama. 28 years of stink. But yeah, EA is a great and wonderful influence on gaming and absolutely does not buy, drain and then kill developers. Activision is a-okay!

So I'm with ya on a crash/reset and no single player games won't go away.

Well, relatively speaking, those administrations were functional, even if they were far from perfect. This one is arguably completely disfunctional, having accomplishing nothing in the first 300 days and the press full of stories about secretary of state calling the president a fucking moron, and the president telling breaved parents of soldiers that their son "knew what he signed up for." The comparison to any other administration in the past 100 years isn't even comparable. The needle is off the gauge.

25. Re: Op Ed Oct 23, 2017, 19:05 Rigs

FloorPie wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 18:59:
"Only after Trump could we actually appreciate what it's like to have a working, stable government..."

That you think we've had that working stable government at all in the past 30+ years is hilarious. Bush1, Clinton, Shrub2, and Obama. 28 years of stink.

That's not exactly what I said. I'm not claiming that it's been unicorns and rainbows before Trump, just that it wasn't an...unprofessional disaster...as it is now. Former Presidents acted like Presidents should act. No one ever complained that Clinton spent too much time at his NYC residence instead of the WH. Whether they were corrupt or used their post for their own projects (Bush Jr in Iraq) is another thing entirely. At least they acted the part.

=-Rigs-=

'But what does 'optional' mean?! It's video games, playing them at all is 'optional'! Sticking a broom handle up your ass is 'optional', doesn't mean I wouldn't really like to do it!' -Yahtzee

24. Re: Op Ed Oct 23, 2017, 18:59 FloorPie

That you think we've had that working stable government at all in the past 30+ years is hilarious. Bush1, Clinton, Shrub2, and Obama. 28 years of stink. But yeah, EA is a great and wonderful influence on gaming and absolutely does not buy, drain and then kill developers. Activision is a-okay!

So I'm with ya on a crash/reset and no single player games won't go away.

23. Re: Op Ed Oct 23, 2017, 18:50 Suppa7

The way I see it, this industry needs to crash - HARD! Why? Publishers have gotten way, WAY too lazy and entirely supported on sleazy ways of getting every last cent out of the player.

=-Rigs-=

The reason they became sleazy is because the market doesn't work when your customers are 100's of miles away post internet. Pre internet they had to give us the entire game physically and there was fear if they didn't put out a good game they wouldn't make their money back.

Now that they can take games hostage via mmo's and drm at the computers inside their offices they can just exploit from afar.

The reality is the game industry stole games from us because the internet allows taking part of the game code hostage, pre internet that was impossible.

That's why all these shit practices exist. The morons who fed mmo's and steam enabled all this shit let's be honest.

Kids and gamers generally - their primate minds never evolved to make rational decisions in a high tech capitalist society.

22. Re: Op Ed Oct 23, 2017, 18:48 Devinoch

Also, FWIW, I haven't spent a cent on GTAV since it came out, because I'm still waiting for a single player story update. And I gladly plunked down cash for the Uncharted standalone DLC.  
Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks
Host of the Starlight Society Podcast
http://tinyurl.com/starlightsociety/

21. Re: Op Ed Oct 23, 2017, 18:46 Devinoch

Nucas wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 11:55:
NegaDeath wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 11:36:
I swear I heard this a decade ago-ish.
almost 2. all started in earnest with the rise of quake 3, unreal tournament and MMOs.

Longer than that. We were hearing this nonsense when Duke Nuke'Em 3D was out, and LAN centers were all the rage.

Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks
Host of the Starlight Society Podcast
http://tinyurl.com/starlightsociety/

20. Re: Op Ed Oct 23, 2017, 17:57 Prez

Every few years the media asks the same question and every time the answer is NO. If the Activisions and Electronic Arts of the world don't want to make them anymore I say good riddance. There will always be smaller studios willing to serve the market the big publishers abandoned and make a killing doing it.  

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: Op Ed Oct 23, 2017, 17:15 Rigs

The way I see it, this industry needs to crash - HARD! Why? Publishers have gotten way, WAY too lazy and entirely supported on sleazy ways of getting every last cent out of the player. They think that the base is so solid, they can do just about anything they want. Remind you of something? Yes, I've said since the beginning that this country needed Trump, but not the way you think. No, we needed to see just how bad it could get if we just don't give a shit about what our government does and let it do it's own thing without repercussions. 'I'm voting Trump just so Crooked Hillary doesn't get in!'...oh how I'd love to smack the person that made that comment popular. Only after Trump could we actually appreciate what it's like to have a working, stable government...

Anyway, the game industry has lost it's way. It doesn't fear for it's existence anymore and that's bad. Sure, the indie scene has profited but I remember when the whole industry was practically the 'indie' scene and publishers weren't much more than developers that published their friends and colleagues' games! They'll continue to push out shit and use their base until they can't - simple as that. And if it means that multi games are more profitable to the bottom line, well, that's what you get, sonny! I don't play multi, like at all, not just because my internet connection sucks but because I don't enjoy it. I like playing a game at my own pace and few multiplayer games give you this option.

Also, if you haven't seen Jim Sterling's video today, then you should, it kinda explains why I feel the way I do...

=-Rigs-=

'But what does 'optional' mean?! It's video games, playing them at all is 'optional'! Sticking a broom handle up your ass is 'optional', doesn't mean I wouldn't really like to do it!' -Yahtzee

18. Re: Op Ed Oct 23, 2017, 16:32 The Half Elf

So here is how it goes.

Single Player games (especially that are 3D) typically have more costs then a multiplayer game. Story, art assets, scripting, modeling, animating, voice work, cut scenes, music, etc etc etc.

Multiplayer games like MOBA's, Card Games, Battle Royal, pvp/etc/etc, require less overall resources.

Take for example the Battlefield series. Started as a multiplayer game, went single player/multiplayer for a few games, then back to multiplayer. Same with Battlefront II (EA series), was Multiplayer only, but had some pretty nasty backlash, and will have single player and multiplayer.

Overall multiplayer pvp games are cheaper and quicker to get to market, but like Lawbreakers has shown, unless you have a pretty sweet gimmick (and actually listen to your fan base like PUBG) it's not going to be sustainable.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

17. Re: Op Ed Oct 23, 2017, 15:51 OpticNerve

I play plenty of SP games these days (or games that are primarily SP but have MP options) such as D:OS2, Witcher 3 (Cyberpunk 2077 will be an insta-buy for me) and I have to get the new XCOM expansion as well as get back into a ton of fun indy games such as Factorio, Rimworld, SPAZ2, etc. As much as I bitch about Bethesda, I'll probably be a sucker and buy their next Elder Scrolls or Fallout SP game as well.

I lean more towards the RPG/strategic side of things but I have found that other genres have sort of felt stagnant when it comes to making things fun or unique to play. The only SP FPS that seems interesting to me is the new Wolfenstein and even then I probably won't pick it up right away since I have such a big backlog of games that I need to get back into. The new Assassins Creed I'll probably pass on (unless it gets stellar reviews) since they seemed to have peaked with Assassins Creed 2x (storywise) and Black Flag (solely for the ship combat).

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

16. Re: Op Ed Oct 23, 2017, 14:05 jdreyer

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 11:25:
I am sick and tired of shitty monetized out da ass multiplayer games with cheaters galore and dudebro lulz shenanigans.

That's sig-worthy right there.

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo