Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 23, 2017, 20:19 Simon Says

I agree with Tom on every point.

Already blocking them. The only way I see myself ever agreeing to this is with an optional opt-in and only if I can control the amount of cpu usage myself. Even if it completely saturates only 1 core on 2/4/6/8, its already too much and will make the whole system much less responsive.

25% of a single core on a 4c/8t system sounds acceptable tho, any higher and I will treat it just as I treat any malware, with a swift kick to the ass.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 23, 2017, 20:08 Tom

Donating CPU cycles is really just a convoluted way of donating money. The harder your CPU is working, the more power it's consuming, and that electricity costs money. The economics of this are highly obfuscated. How much are you spending on that electricity? What is the value of the resulting cryptocurrency that's being mined? How does this compare to ad income? Who knows.

I think you probably might as well just donate money more directly, whether it's crypto or fiat. The folks behind the Brave web browser say they're trying to set up a system to counter ads by doing that. Not sure they or anyone else will be very successful doing that, but it makes more sense to me than allowing web sites to hammer your CPU.

1. Could Cryptocurrency kill online advertising? Oct 23, 2017, 18:39 wtf_man

I wouldn't mind this at all.

It would have to be done right though... people would have to be informed up front, maybe with a choice of a site with ads vs. a site the mines only while you are visiting... or some sort of central extension/ web standard that automatically donates the currency to the respected sites based on your time there.... Mining only takes place as you are surfing.

Legitimately (voluntarily) donating CPU cycles seems like a win/win if done right. The sites who's content you access gets supported, and you don't have to worry about annoying ads / tracking / malvertising. The site owner doesn't have to put up pay walls or beg for donations.

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9

3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo