Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Thanks Neutronbeam for the link to 13 Great Chili Recipes on NYT Cooking. I've been talking about revising my own recipe quite a bit lately, and a varied list like this should provide some good starting points. The summer weather has been slow in departing, so it's not really chilly enough for chili yet, but the forecast looks cooler for this week, and either way, it's always good to be prepared.

R.I.P.: Umberto Lenzi has died at age 86.

Chilly Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Wondrous Lands.
Monster Cafe.
Stories: David Letterman’s friends — and shrink — make his Twain ceremony as funny as his late-night legacy.
Clinton Era Caused "Last Action Hero" Failure?
NOAA Predicts Its Third Warm Winter in a Row.
Science: Stephen Hawking makes his doctoral thesis available online.
Fossilized teeth dating back 9.7 million years could 'rewrite' human history.
Solar Wind Creates Electric Charge on Martian Moon Phobos.
Media: Here's A Superhuman Volleyball Play From Three Different Angles.
Weightless - Paragliding Proximity Perfection.
Squirrel warfare. Boom! Headshot!
The Funnies: Dilbert.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2017, 12:55 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 07:15:
Rigs wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 01:37:
Caslon wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 00:04:
Can Bluesnews kindly stop linking stories to sites that demand you pay to read the article or have to bother with whitelisting them???!!!

It's mainly just the Washington Post and I agree, it's aggravating but news is news. I just put the headline into Google and read it somewhere I don't have to pay to read words on the internet.

=-Rigs-=

Incognito/private tabs.
^This
And I always have 2 or 3 browsers for things like that plus you can delete your history/cookies/cache.
Or just get off your lazy ass and google it.
The chili link just required you to register, no payola.

There's a fool-proof way to tell if something a conservative/right-wing/Republican said is true or not. If they call it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.needtoimpeach.com/
http://projects.thestar.com/donald-trump-fact-check/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2017, 07:15 Beamer

Rigs wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 01:37:
Can Bluesnews kindly stop linking stories to sites that demand you pay to read the article or have to bother with whitelisting them???!!!

It's mainly just the Washington Post and I agree, it's aggravating but news is news. I just put the headline into Google and read it somewhere I don't have to pay to read words on the internet.

=-Rigs-=

Incognito/private tabs.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2017, 05:14 jdreyer

I hope you have Blues News whitelisted at least. Blue can't feed Gunnar-man with thoughts and prayers.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2017, 01:37 Rigs

=-Rigs-=

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2017, 01:20 Nucas

reddit has been absolutely losing its mind for a day or two over manveer heir giving an interview slagging off bioware and EA for their microtransaction bullshit and so on.

i do find it hilarious. this was the guy who's race-baiting tweeting bullshit was being held up as the example of "SJW culture" destroying bioware like 6 months ago on reddit, day in and day out, now being feted. i presume he's only even doing this because he torpedoed his videogames career already with his retarded public conduct.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2017, 00:04 Caslon

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2017, 22:17 Rigs

Beamer wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 15:55:
NKD wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 15:10:
Looking at cooler and wetter than average up here in the northwest apparently.

Yeah. When I lived there it was abnormally warm and dry. Now it's cool and wet. I think I got out at the right time - though frankly I loved the NW and can't imagine living anywhere other than either NYC or the west coast.

We're finally moving into our winter pattern down here in FL. Last week it was near 90° and humid AF. We just had a front plow through and it's 75°/45° for the next five days. Fine with me. Though, I'd recommend you all keep an eye on the southern Caribbean, looks like something might try to get going later this week, which is where Sandy, Joaquin and just a few weeks ago, Nate, formed. It's the best spot right now for a storm to get it's shit together as all the other areas have transitioned, more or less, out of their summer setup and wouldn't be conductive to tropical formation, especially vertical shear-wise.

On a another note, I assume Blue, you've instituted protocols for the massive influx of disenchanted NeoGaf blokes looking for friendly ports? Seems their former home became a raging dumpster fire last week...

=-Rigs-=

12. Re: Last Action Hero Oct 23, 2017, 21:19 Mr. Tact

I wouldn't call it a great film, but it definitely had it's moments. As for the reasons it didn't do well, *shrug* literally hundreds of movies are made which never do well. I think blaming it on the release adjacent to a blockbuster is less than convincing. There have been films which built an audience over a slow start and became hits. It just didn't have a wide appeal. I'm sure some thought it was too campy.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

11. Re: Last Action Hero Oct 23, 2017, 21:03 MoreLuckThanSkill

Last Action Hero 'failed' as others have said, going up against other blockbusters at around the same time period, and also because people simply didn't get that it was supposed to be satire. I remember watching it in the theater and people getting up and walking out at a couple of scenes, literally angry and cursing.

Anedotal evidence, surely, but like a lot of films, the actual message was lost on a lot of the audience.

I thought it was a good movie, honestly.

10. Re: Superhuman Volleyball Play Oct 23, 2017, 18:02 Mr. Tact

I don't think I'd call it "Superhuman", but it certainly was a spectacular play.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2017, 18:01 SlimRam

Daisy Berkowitz (born Scott Putesky), has died at age 49 after a four-year battle with colon cancer.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2017, 17:53 1badmf

VaranDragon wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 10:55:
On Last Action Hero. The reason Arnie gives is really dumb. The movie bombed because it opened against Jurrasic Park. End. Of. Story.

In any case, it still made money overseas, and True Lies came out later and was a big hit.

I kind of like that movie, it's a guilty pleasure despite the annoying kid.

It's still way better than anything Michael Bay ever made.

i would rate armageddon and The Rock as superior to true lies. they sortof accidentally stumbled into the humanist side of conflict and desperation scenarios and were entertaining as hell on top.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2017, 15:55 Beamer

NKD wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 15:10:

Yeah. When I lived there it was abnormally warm and dry. Now it's cool and wet. I think I got out at the right time - though frankly I loved the NW and can't imagine living anywhere other than either NYC or the west coast.

-------------

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2017, 15:10 NKD

"Broke their brown backs chasing Mr. White's dream,
that Bill of Rights was just a pyramid scheme."
- Nunca David Hidalgo & Los Refugio Tiernos

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2017, 14:09 Fion

NOAA Predicts Its Third Warm Winter in a Row

That'd be nice, here in the north east we've been dealing with arctic vortexes and such the last few years.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2017, 13:24 Cutter

Warmer winter? As someone who hates the cold I'll buy that for a dollar!

Yeah sure, Arnie. It was all Bill's fault and not that you made a shitty movie. Good grief. Is there anything people from the "party or personal responsibility" ever actually take personal responsibility for when it come to failures?

"If earth is 4 billion years old and you have co-existed with David Bowie, listening to his songs , you can consider yourself a lottery jackpot winner."

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2017, 13:04 Nimh

68.F in Quebec right now.. nothing below freezing in the forecast, and no killing frost yet either. Not to mention the leaves are still turning. Quite bizarre for this latitude.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2017, 11:23 Beamer

VaranDragon wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 10:55:
On Last Action Hero. The reason Arnie gives is really dumb. The movie bombed because it opened against Jurrasic Park. End. Of. Story.

In any case, it still made money overseas, and True Lies came out later and was a big hit.

His reason isn't entirely wrong, and yours isn't entirely right. It was a large combination of things, and the whole "the 80s action movie/hero is dead" narrative was pretty common then, and still is about that time now. It wasn't what consumers were looking for anymore, as times had changed. I'd put Die Hard as a real first nail in that coffin.

It didn't help that the plot seemed unappealing (appealing to kids usually works poorly for adults), that a billion writers worked on it despite the it being a complicated plot that really required one dominant hand, and it was parodying Arnold despite Arnold movies bordering on self-parody by then, anyway, as he was doing almost everything with a tongue-in-cheek knowing grin.

The top action movie that year featured no action stars. The second biggest action movie was mostly Harrison Ford yelling about the one-armed man. Both were big on plot and worked hard to be intelligent. Both were up for a huge amount of Academy Awards, with The Fugitive up for Best Picture.

Last Action Hero was just the wrong movie at the wrong time handled by the wrong people. Interests changed. Dumb action movies were being replaced by smart action movies, and it was a film with a leg firmly in each of those sides. Time has actually been kind of kind to it, though.

Crazy thing is it was Arnold's first real flop. First of many. I kind of love Arnold from this period, though, he was very much like The Rock in that he was a huge ball of charisma and an inhuman body but kept picking poor movie choices. True Lies doesn't hold up well for me, but man, is Arnold pretty much amazing in it.

-------------

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2017, 10:55 VaranDragon

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo