Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

First-Person Mode Within The Evil Within 2

DSOGaming has details on an undocumented first-person mode found within The Evil Within 2, the new survival/horror sequel from Tango Gameworks. This video shows the mode in action, and here are instructions on how to experience first-person play first-hand:

All you have to do is open the console and type “pl_FPS 1”. By doing this, you will enable the first-person mode. Players can aim, shoot, interact with the environments and do pretty much everything. And while this was not the “way the game was meant to be played“, it still is pretty cool.

In order to enable the in-game console, you’ll have to follow this guide:

• Create a shortcut on your desktop and add: +com_allowconsole 1
  • Start the game from the shortcut
  • While in game, press the insert key to bring the console

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: First-Person Mode Within The Evil Within 2 Oct 23, 2017, 11:55 Quinn

Thanks MoreLuckThanSkill (yes I read it all the way to the end :P) and Wetworks! This game'll be a definite buy for me once I'm done indulging myself with the aforementioned titles. Hopefully that'll take long enough to get 10/20% sale out of it.  

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: First-Person Mode Within The Evil Within 2 Oct 23, 2017, 01:45 Wetworks

Quinn wrote on Oct 22, 2017, 16:40:
DOS2, SoW, Elex, Destiny 2 in two days...

I'm sated for now. I will buy this game soon, though.

Can any "fan" of the first tell me how they experience this sequel?

MoreLuckThanSkill did a pretty good job describing the game.

I'll add my 2 cents, I just beat the Evil Within 2 on nightmare difficulty, it took me around 21 hrs. Overall I really enjoyed it, the first third is good, the middle third loses some momentum as the environment doesn't change much and your mostly doing the same things as the first third, but the final third is super strong. It has one of the best endings for a video game that I played recently.

Overall I give it an 8/10, carried by the strong third act and ending. A definite must buy for survival horror fans.

The game does a good job of making the NPC's memorable, they actually inject emotion and life into the game and are not just mobs standing around with an exclamation point over their heads handing out fetch quests. You really only see that stuff over the final third of the game though.

Also, the game does a good job of introducing a lot of different enemy types and bosses to keeps thing feeling fresh. That was a problem I felt Resident Evil 7 suffered from, it had good bosses but the mold monsters were too similar for my tastes.

10. Re: First-Person Mode Within The Evil Within 2 Oct 22, 2017, 20:53 HorrorScope

ItBurn wrote on Oct 22, 2017, 15:12:
I had zero interest in this game because of the perspective. Now I have some interest in this game.

It sure helps.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 22, 2017, 19:41 Mordecai Walfish

With how good this looks from the in-game footage (character shadows still casting appropriately, being able to see the character's hand when sneaking by corners, view bob, etc), I'm surprised it wasn't just an option in the game to begin with. Perhaps it makes aiming a bit too easy for how they created the game/ai, but if so, this is a bit of a trade off with not being able to third-person cheese-look around corners too. Interesting for sure.  

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."

8. Re: First-Person Mode Within The Evil Within 2 Oct 22, 2017, 19:26 MoreLuckThanSkill

Quinn wrote on Oct 22, 2017, 16:40:

I'm enjoying the second game quite a bit, at least as much as the first one. In short, I recommend TEW2 highly, if you liked the first one.

More in depth:

I played through the first game twice, with the New Game+ or whatever ii was called option the second time, which gives you additional(sorta broken) weapons to fool around with. For some reason I really enjoy the third person horror/shooter combo games, ie. Dead Space, Resident Evil series, and now TEW series. It's a nice changeup from tons of FPS/RTS/etc. games for me.

They went with a more open world setup for the second one, limited open world, I should say; it's a bit of a hassle going between the chunks of the universe, for story reasons and probably console hardware reasons, but you can go back and forth. Enemies are mostly scripted in terms of position, or story sequence, but will use their behavior scripts to patrol, massacre random nub npcs, etc. They will hear or see you and give chase, although you can escape most enemy types with some dodging and getting out of sight/into cover/into a safe house. So far, in Chapter 4, I've seen... 2 major boss enemies, maybe 4-5 grunt type zombies with various abilities but easy to kill, two much harder to kill monster humanoids with better abilities, and a wolfish monster version that is pretty fast and low to the ground, with seemingly much better detection. So far, in Chapter 4, I cannot kill the two boss enemies, and have just avoided them when they come across me.

Kill the regulars and they drop mostly materials for weapons upgrades, ammo components, and Green Gel, which does player upgrades like the previous game. Now there are also jars of Red Gel, and High Quality Weapon parts, which unlock segments of the player and weapon upgrade trees, and drop seemingly only in rare story segments/challenges.

I've cleared out zones, essentially farming weaker enemies for their resources(upgrade costs go up quickly) and story events seem to unlock more enemies or make new ones spawn for various reasons in areas you thought were safe. Not egregiously so, the game will give you hints or sometimes a peek of enemies coming back in, but it's enough to not make you lazy running back to a safehouse to craft something. Check those corners!

At first I was annoyed with the crafting, but after awhile, I've come to feel that the ammo system is better than the first game, for everything EXCEPT the crossbow. in TEW1, you could reuse Harpoons sometimes, in TEW2 they are gone forever, even if you just decapitated a guy 5 feet away right into a wood wall. Gunpowder can be made into Pistol/Shotgun/Sniper Rifle ammo at a workbench, minor suspension of disbelief required, but it cleans up the loot tables. The workbench does have a bullet loader setup though, to be fair. The Crossbow is still an amazing weapon, and useful in a wide variety of situations: so far I have Harpoon/Explosive/Shock/Smoke bolts unlocked. Pistol, shotgun, and Sniper rifle are about as good as you'd hope they would be, in the appropriate range situations.

Resident Evil style Herbs can still be collected, to make into Syringes or Medkits. Medkits heal more, but are limited to one at a time in your inventory, while Syringes are more numerous, heal less, but can also be upgraded to heal you on lethal damage, ie. last chance heal. You can also heal from recharging coffee makers(drink a cup) in a few safehouses...it's a virtual world, what do you want.

Player upgrades are similar to the first game, with a few cool new powers so far. Melee Kick, high speed takedown, stabbing takedown around a corner, A slowdown ability for ranged, and a consecutive shot damage buff for ranged. There are some defensive powers also, most useful one so far to me has been the %dodge ability.

Weapons upgrade in a similar fashion, mostly like the fist game, with more damage, ammo capacity, etc. and a few new abilities mixed in.

Ammo on Survival mode and up seems to be quite scarce, I conserve ammo vs most enemies by sneaking up when I can and using melee takedowns, but the melee takedown seems purposely longer(the actual animation) to make it riskier when near multiple enemies. You can also still pick up one-shot melee weapons like the Handaxe, which break after using.

I'm running the game on Max/Ultra settings, core i7 7600 4ghz, SSD, 1070GTX, 144hz monitor, and it looks and sounds gorgeous. Only drawback on that front for me so far is they have a different voice actor for Castellanos(main char) who is not as good, in my opinion, as TEW1's actor. The rest of the cast varies from acceptable to remarkably good VA quality. Character models, especially the monsters, look great, but yes there are definitely more photo-realistic games out there. Ambient sounds and creature sounds are impressive. They did a good job making them recognizable enough that you can discern enemy types nearby, out of sight, by their audio cues. Which helps for ambushing the shit out of them.

If you've read this far, congrats, or I apologize, or something. When I get time to play, I'm getting back into the old sleep deprivation mode, playing for 5-6 hours at a time. Just one more area... just one more upgrade... Third person Horror/Shooter skinner box has claimed another victim.

7. Re: First-Person Mode Within The Evil Within 2 Oct 22, 2017, 19:11 SlimRam

ItBurn wrote on Oct 22, 2017, 15:12:
I had zero interest in this game because of the perspective. Now I have some interest in this game.
Same.

6. Re: First-Person Mode Within The Evil Within 2 Oct 22, 2017, 18:11 Quinn

Xero wrote on Oct 22, 2017, 16:51:
Still stuck on the chainsaw guy in TEW1, lol. Since I've never gotten past that part I gave up on the game, haha.

Don't know if I have any interest in ever getting this one but that fps view looks awesome.

That chainsaw guy? You just had to unload everyhing you had on him while keeping your distance. That latter part was easily done by kiting him with the ladders.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

5. Re: First-Person Mode Within The Evil Within 2 Oct 22, 2017, 16:51 Xero

Still stuck on the chainsaw guy in TEW1, lol. Since I've never gotten past that part I gave up on the game, haha.

Don't know if I have any interest in ever getting this one but that fps view looks awesome.

Currently playing: Counter Strike Go, The Witcher 3, Shadow Tactics

4. Re: First-Person Mode Within The Evil Within 2 Oct 22, 2017, 16:40 Quinn

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

3. Re: First-Person Mode Within The Evil Within 2 Oct 22, 2017, 16:06 Fantaz

waiting for a deal on this game  

2. Re: First-Person Mode Within The Evil Within 2 Oct 22, 2017, 15:12 ItBurn

1. Re: First-Person Mode Within The Evil Within 2 Oct 22, 2017, 14:42 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well, obviously there is a FPS mode... at one point in the story line, you are forced into first person view for a (so far) small portion of the game, because of an environmental hazard. It plays well, although I'm already used to the TPS view for the game, I could see playing it entirely in first person.

It would probably be a fair bit harder though, much harder to 'cheat' around corners without the over the shoulder camera.

*Disclaimer* I'm about 12 hours into TEW2, and I really enjoyed the first game. I have a smattering of powers unlocked, just picking whatever seems useful so far. Some ranged, some melee, some stealth.

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo