Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Congrats to the Astros, even if their victory spoils the Yankees/Dodgers matchup I mentioned. Apologies if I spoiled that game for anyone who DVRed it, but I've come across so many mentions of it that I can't imagine being able to avoid the news. This is weird for me because I've never been able to get used to the Astros moving to the American League, so to me it feels like a World Series between two N.L. teams. The only thing that would be odder to me would be an Astros versus Brewers matchup, since the leagues seem wrong to me for both of those teams. I feel like I can be excused for feeling that way about the Astros, but I should probably try harder to accept the Brewers thing, since it's getting close to 20 years since they switched leagues.

Switched Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Lamborghini Drifter.
Link: You’ll never see a more touching film about a 72-year-old alien experiencer.
Story: Los Angeles Dodgers vs. Houston Astros- Star-studded World Series will hinge on depth.
Media: Stranger Aliens.
What the names for bodies of water mean.
My nephew caught his first snake.
The Funnies: Nested Pumpkins - FoxTrot.
What I Do In Metal Gear Solid V.

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2017, 09:42 NKD

Redmask wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 08:11:
NKD wrote on Oct 22, 2017, 14:26:
I always love how this is literally the only site where I see anyone talk about baseball. Basically zero discussion on any of my other gaming hideouts, in stark contrast to what happens as we come up on the NFL playoffs.

The baseball strike when I was growing up just murdered my interest in the sport, same with most of my friends back then. It was a long one and after that we had already moved onto other sports. I find the sport itself is pretty boring to watch, more fun to play.

I played football and baseball in my school days and I always enjoyed baseball more. But yeah I stopped watching around the same time you did. 1994? 1995? Something like that. I watched the occasional Mariners game up until Griffey and A-Rod left in ~2000.

Citizen of the United Shitholes of America
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2017, 09:39 Beamer

I always love how this is literally the only site where I see anyone talk about baseball. Basically zero discussion on any of my other gaming hideouts, in stark contrast to what happens as we come up on the NFL playoffs.

In NYC, the Yankees are almost definitely the most popular team, likely a large gap to any other. I'd wager in Boston the Sox are the most popular team, with the Pats close behind.

That's baseball country. Yankees-Sox games may be little watched anywhere, but they're huge draws here.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2017, 08:44 Mr. Tact

Redmask wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 08:11:
The baseball strike when I was growing up just murdered my interest in the sport, same with most of my friends back then. It was a long one and after that we had already moved onto other sports. I find the sport itself is pretty boring to watch, more fun to play.
Yep. I've never forgiven them for the 1994 strike. Was a fan then, since I rarely see ANY baseball all season long. Didn't even bother watching game seven of the WS last year when the Cubs had a chance to, and ultimately did, end their 108 year WS drought.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2017, 08:11 Redmask

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2017, 19:30 Cutter

Even as a non-baseball fan I'm glad to see the Yankees not winning. And as a kid I always loved those old 70s Astros uniforms, the colors and the font!

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2017, 17:15 MajorD

Still counting...

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2017, 16:22 Pigeon

First team to win AL and NL pennants, woohoo! Hopefully we're also not the first team to get swept in the World Series as both an AL and NL team  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2017, 14:26 NKD

Citizen of the United Shitholes of America

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo