Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Windows 10 Adds TruePlay Anti-Cheat Software

Microsoft offers details on TruePlay, a new anti-cheating system for Universal Windows Platform games that was part of the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (thanks MP1ST). Interestingly, this can be optionally turned off on the client end, and no data will be transmitted without the user's permission, but TruePlay must be active to access games that require it. Here are some details:

TruePlay provides developers with a new set of tools to combat cheating within their PC games.

A game enrolled in TruePlay will run in a protected process, which mitigates a class of common attacks. Additionally, a Windows service will monitor gaming sessions for behaviors and manipulations that are common in cheating scenarios. These data will be collected, and alerts will be generated only when cheating behavior appears to be occurring. To ensure and protect customer privacy while preventing false positives, these data are only shared with developers after processing has determined cheating is likely to have occurred.

The TruePlay APIs for the Universal Windows Platform (UWP) allow limited interaction between games and the game monitoring system on Windows 10 PCs. These APIs are located in the <gamemonitor.h> header.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Windows 10 Adds TruePlay Anti-Cheat Software Oct 21, 2017, 11:30 TheEmissary

LurkerLito wrote on Oct 21, 2017, 09:50:
I wouldn't trust this or UWP at all after GFWL. Seriously, any dev using those things needs to be boycotted and have their head examined for deciding to use it. It's now a real pain in the ass to get some GFWL dependent games to run. Some of the fixes required to download GFWL and install it but the ones available fail to install on Win 10 and a supposed working version that use to be available from MS has been removed so you can't even get it anymore officially. I just tried and installed an older GFWL enabled game last weekend on my new rig. I had to go find a unofficial GFWL dll file so I could just get the game to run again in single player mode. FUCK any solution from MS IMHO they'll abandon it in a few years and screw over any chance of playing those games you bought due to dependencies and not give you any kind of official way to make it work in their next forced Win 10 update that will break things.

Those problems can happen with any type of game that depends on a library or service that is no longer supported. You have plenty of games that are broken because DRM servers no longer authenticate the game keys. Or you have situations like the gamespy where the matchmaking/master servers were shutdown. EA tends to shutdown MP components of its sports titles all the time.

The TruePlay api is baked in to the OS where as GFWL was a client application on top. At the very least see how its implemented before ranting about it. If the service is shutdown there is nothing stopping the game developers from patching out the anti-cheat to use something else. Just as plenty of game developers patched out GFWL to use SteamWorks.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Steam Sale Dates Leaked? Oct 21, 2017, 10:34 El Pit

Luke wrote on Oct 21, 2017, 09:59:
El Pit wrote on Oct 21, 2017, 04:12:
Vio wrote on Oct 21, 2017, 02:17:
They just got to do it! How else are they going to force those micro transactions down your throat in a single player game?

What has cheating to do with selling DLCs again?

Try one more time and this time THINK

Ooooh, thank you. Now I got it: Windows 10 is DA EVIL! Android and iOS are GOD! WITCH HUNT!!! This is a "Bring your own pitchfork" party, I guess.

Sorry, I had to drink some KoolAid to THINK of this. I hate KoolAid.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

12. Re: Steam Sale Dates Leaked? Oct 21, 2017, 09:59 Luke

El Pit wrote on Oct 21, 2017, 04:12:
They just got to do it! How else are they going to force those micro transactions down your throat in a single player game?

Try one more time and this time THINK

11. Re: Windows 10 Adds TruePlay Anti-Cheat Software Oct 21, 2017, 09:50 LurkerLito

I wouldn't trust this or UWP at all after GFWL. Seriously, any dev using those things needs to be boycotted and have their head examined for deciding to use it. It's now a real pain in the ass to get some GFWL dependent games to run. Some of the fixes required to download GFWL and install it but the ones available fail to install on Win 10 and a supposed working version that use to be available from MS has been removed so you can't even get it anymore officially. I just tried and installed an older GFWL enabled game last weekend on my new rig. I had to go find a unofficial GFWL dll file so I could just get the game to run again in single player mode. FUCK any solution from MS IMHO they'll abandon it in a few years and screw over any chance of playing those games you bought due to dependencies and not give you any kind of official way to make it work in their next forced Win 10 update that will break things.  

10. Re: Windows 10 Adds TruePlay Anti-Cheat Software Oct 21, 2017, 07:25 Redmask

It's only in UWP apps which no one uses and people will still find a way to cheat regardless.  

9. Re: Windows 10 Adds TruePlay Anti-Cheat Software Oct 21, 2017, 04:54 Pepo

UWP? who gives... so, no more cheating in Candy Crush?  

8. Re: Steam Sale Dates Leaked? Oct 21, 2017, 04:12 El Pit

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

7. Re: Steam Sale Dates Leaked? Oct 21, 2017, 02:17 Vio

for the Universal Windows Platform (UWP)
Oh wait thats the shit windows store stuff isn't it? Nm.

6. Re: Steam Sale Dates Leaked? Oct 21, 2017, 00:22 NKD

Muscular Beaver wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 22:07:
NKD wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 20:20:
I dream of the day there's something to keep cheaters out of PC games. It's the biggest drawback PC has versus consoles these days. The ease with which you can cheat just makes it so much worse.
And how would hat work? The PC is an open platform. If you want something like that you need a closed platform.
I rather have cheaters than a closed platform.

I dunno. It would just be nice to have something. I don't see myself playing many multiplayer games on PC in the future, the number of cheaters has just gotten unbearable in all but the most popular or aggressively policed titles.

Try playing GTA Online on PC in a public session. See how many minutes before some motherfucker blows up everyone in the lobby with a single keypress on his mod menu, or someone puts everyone in a blackscreen loop, or whatever other nightmare.

Or even something as simple as optional leaderboards in mostly or entirely single-player games. Want to see how you are doing compared to others? Good luck, the first 50 pages are filled with people who have MAX_INT number of kills or completed the race in 0.01seconds.

Doors and corners, kid. Doors and corners.

5. Re: Steam Sale Dates Leaked? Oct 20, 2017, 22:07 Muscular Beaver

I dream of the day there's something to keep cheaters out of PC games. It's the biggest drawback PC has versus consoles these days. The ease with which you can cheat just makes it so much worse.
And how would hat work? The PC is an open platform. If you want something like that you need a closed platform.
I rather have cheaters than a closed platform.

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

4. Re: Steam Sale Dates Leaked? Oct 20, 2017, 20:41 RedEye9

^This

Nullity's Law
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

3. Re: Windows 10 Adds TruePlay Anti-Cheat Software Oct 20, 2017, 20:22 Kxmode

I wonder if this would make older games riddled with cheaters, like The Division, playable?  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

2. Re: Steam Sale Dates Leaked? Oct 20, 2017, 20:20 NKD

Doors and corners, kid. Doors and corners.

1. Re: Steam Sale Dates Leaked? Oct 20, 2017, 20:13 Saboth

I had so much trouble getting games I paid good money for to work on GFWL, I don't trust MS on this.  

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo