Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Civilization III Free on Humble Store

The Humble Store now offers Sid Meier's Civilization III: Complete to anyone who picks up their copy within the next couple of days. This installment in the classic turn-based strategy series was first released in 2001, and it seems possible there's someone somewhere who has been playing "just one more turn" for the past 16 straight years. Here's a refresher:

Sid Meier's Civilization III: Complete, the latest offering in the Sid Meier's Civilization III franchise, provides gaming fans with Sid Meier's Civilization III, the highly-addictive journey of discovery, combined with the updated and enhanced multiplayer expansion pack Sid Meier's Civilization III: Play the World*, as well as all of the great new civilizations, scenarios, and features from Sid Meier's Civilization III: Conquests! Sid Meier's Civilization III: Complete provides more ways to explore, more strategies to employ, more modes of play, and more ways to win, all in one box!

*Online Multiplayer to be suspended as of May 31st 2014, LAN mode still supported

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 20, 2017, 09:42 Beamer

Armengar wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 09:20:
3 is decent. I still thing 4 is the pinnacle, great mods and massive gameplay. 5 ruined it for me TBH and I went back to epic 4 (modded) games.

I agree. I didn't think 3 was worth upgrading to over Civ 1, if you can believe that, but 4 was drastically different. Even with hundreds of hours into it I haven't scratched the surface of its strategic depth, but I also play it drastically different than it was intended, I think.

I never played 5 or 6 - 4 is just that good.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 20, 2017, 09:20 Armengar

3 is decent. I still thing 4 is the pinnacle, great mods and massive gameplay. 5 ruined it for me TBH and I went back to epic 4 (modded) games.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 20, 2017, 07:53 MattyC

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 07:08:
Any workarounds for online multiplayer, like do hamachi or tunnngle work with this?

Never had a chance to really play this one but I love the Civ games I've played, so I added it to my steam library with this freebie offer.

Thanks for the heads-up on this!

It has been a long time since I played it, but IIRC you could run both it over the net with GameRanger. I used it for that and Diablo 2. Never had any issues with it.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 20, 2017, 07:08 Mordecai Walfish

Any workarounds for online multiplayer, like do hamachi or tunnngle work with this?

Never had a chance to really play this one but I love the Civ games I've played, so I added it to my steam library with this freebie offer.

Thanks for the heads-up on this!

EDIT: To do the resolution fix, add the line "keepRes=1" to the file conquests.ini in the Steamapps\Sid Meiers Civilization III\conquests\ folder.

Thanks for the heads up also, MAttyC. GameRanger is something I have not heard mentioned in a LONG time. lol. Forgot about that one. I used to play the best online/multiplayer version of monopoly (boxed one from early 2000's) via that with friends =)

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2017, 08:03.

3. Re: Civilization III Free on Humble Store Oct 19, 2017, 23:04 Darks

SirKnight wrote on Oct 19, 2017, 21:47:
Snagged!

Same here, this was one of my fav games back in the day.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

2. Re: Civilization III Free on Humble Store Oct 19, 2017, 22:51 headkase

Civ 3 is still a good game today. There is a tweak to make it run at your desktop resolution as well: Here.

At modern resolutions it even looks better than it ever did when it was new.

We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us.

1. Re: Civilization III Free on Humble Store Oct 19, 2017, 21:47 SirKnight

Snagged!  

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo