Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Cities: Skylines - Green Cities Sprout

Publisher Paradox Interactive and developer Colossal Order announce the release of the Green Cities expansion for Cities: Skylines, their urban planning game. This trailer offers a look at some green cities, which ironically all seem to have a blue glow, showing new ways to make your virtual hometown more eco-friendly. The expansion requires the original game, and is available though the Paradox Interactive Store. Here are details:

Paradox Interactive and Colossal Order today announced that Green Cities, the latest expansion for the earth-friendly city-builder Cities: Skylines is now available for Windows, MacOS and Linux PCs for a suggested retail price of $12.99.

Cities: Skylines - Green Cities adds over 300 new assets to the core game, including a massive selection of new visual options, complete with eco-friendly buildings, organic stores, new parks and services. Players can go completely green as the urban population grows, and create more diversified cities with new specialized options for all zones, such as a combustion engine ban in the inner city or waste filtering requirements for industrial buildings. New service buildings, scenarios and policy options are also included, alongside revisions to noise pollution.

The Green Cities expansion is accompanied by a free content update, which supplements the base game with electric cars, road modding, a noise pollution overhaul, and more beautification options in the form of parks and trees, among other things.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Cities: Skylines - Green Cities Sprout Oct 20, 2017, 15:53 Sepharo

I still play the base game, no expansion packs...
still on my first city actually with 122 hours.

Every time one of these DLC comes out there is a corresponding patch that fixes a bunch of stuff and often adds some new free features (better traffic managing tools, day/night controls, etc.)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Cities: Skylines - Green Cities Sprout Oct 20, 2017, 08:45 Creston

Cutter wrote on Oct 19, 2017, 17:56:
I'd say they're putting in substantial enough work that justifies the cost of the DLC. It isn't as if it's Bethsoft charging $10 for fucking horse armor.

I agree with the sentiment, but I think horse armor sold for 2.99

13. Re: Cities: Skylines - Green Cities Sprout Oct 19, 2017, 20:02 TorchMaster

FYI, NewEgg.com has a sale on the base game, for what appears to be the lowest price to date ($5.79).  

Victory needs no explanation; defeat allows none.

12. Re: Cities: Skylines - Green Cities Sprout Oct 19, 2017, 17:56 Cutter

I'd say they're putting in substantial enough work that justifies the cost of the DLC. It isn't as if it's Bethsoft charging $10 for fucking horse armor.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

11. Re: Cities: Skylines - Green Cities Sprout Oct 19, 2017, 15:17 jdreyer

NewMaxx wrote on Oct 19, 2017, 14:30:
SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 19, 2017, 11:55:
Most Paradox games are very very DLC heavy

This is very true. It often comes back to bite them in the ass as the fans have panned quite a few DLC choices (ones where mods do better) and their expensive splitting of the community (overpriced DLC combined with "necessary" parts of some DLC). Of course, they do make very mod-friendly games, and their DLC does go on sale fairly often (usually in an attempt to garner new users, like Steel Division recently). It's important to note that much of their userbase enjoys all of these little things (down to the models) and I even found myself buying the SD DLC the other week because I wanted to support them and I love the game. Skylines has a broader base, I think, but its fans are equally dedicated; I guess you could call this exploitative behavior but really, the users express discontent when they desire and Paradox usually has to address it.
I prefer the Paradox model over the EA model.

Stay a while, and listen.

10. Re: Cities: Skylines - Green Cities Sprout Oct 19, 2017, 14:55 Quboid

I'm delighted with the free road modding tool, it goes far beyond what I had expected.  

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

9. Re: Cities: Skylines - Green Cities Sprout Oct 19, 2017, 14:30 NewMaxx

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 19, 2017, 11:55:

This is very true. It often comes back to bite them in the ass as the fans have panned quite a few DLC choices (ones where mods do better) and their expensive splitting of the community (overpriced DLC combined with "necessary" parts of some DLC). Of course, they do make very mod-friendly games, and their DLC does go on sale fairly often (usually in an attempt to garner new users, like Steel Division recently). It's important to note that much of their userbase enjoys all of these little things (down to the models) and I even found myself buying the SD DLC the other week because I wanted to support them and I love the game. Skylines has a broader base, I think, but its fans are equally dedicated; I guess you could call this exploitative behavior but really, the users express discontent when they desire and Paradox usually has to address it.

8. Re: Cities: Skylines - Green Cities Sprout Oct 19, 2017, 13:18 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Oct 19, 2017, 11:46:
El Pit wrote on Oct 19, 2017, 11:39:
I supported these guys by buying the base game early, but this flood of DLCs is close to that train game. Sorry, won't buy further DLCs and will be happy with the base game or will buy a complete edition in a few years or so. I am simply no fan of nickel and diming and will never support this approach.

Nevertheless, the base game alone is great and I don't feel I am missing out on something.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but if the base game is great, why do you feel these DLCs/expansions are nickle and diming you? I mean, especially in this one, there is a TON of content, they obviously spent a lot of hours into developing it?

Btw, the DLCs usually go on sale pretty heavily during Steam sales.

This game kind of follows the Elite:Dangerous model: release a good base game, then add onto/improve it over the years. The alternative is the Star Citizen model: spend years trying to do everything at once, and never release anything worthwhile.

Stay a while, and listen.

7. Re: Cities: Skylines - Green Cities Sprout Oct 19, 2017, 12:15 Creston

El Pit wrote on Oct 19, 2017, 12:00:
Because of the amount of DLCs that came out since release.

Sure, but their players are asking for that (like literally, in the forums.) It's not as if the game is incomplete without it, imo.

6. Re: Cities: Skylines - Green Cities Sprout Oct 19, 2017, 12:00 El Pit

Creston wrote on Oct 19, 2017, 11:46:
why do you feel these DLCs/expansions are nickle and diming you? I mean, especially in this one, there is a TON of content, they obviously spent a lot of hours into developing it?

Because of the amount of DLCs that came out since release. On one hand, it is great that they keep working on the game, and of course the game IS really good, but on the other hand I am a completionist, and the approach these developers are taking is poison for me.

YMMV, of course. And again: great game, get it if you haven't yet. Just don't expect to ever get the final, complete game.

Also, on my side of the pond the DLCs are usually 25% or max 50% off for the older DLCs (there are so many of them - too many).

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

5. Re: Cities: Skylines - Green Cities Sprout Oct 19, 2017, 11:55 SpectralMeat

If I like the game enough I will buy some DLC here and there to support the team but I do see how they do go a bit overboard with it in some cases.
Crusader Kings 2 for example, base game $44CDN, all the DLC $350CDN
Europa Universalis, same deal.

Steam: SpectralMeat

4. Re: Cities: Skylines - Green Cities Sprout Oct 19, 2017, 11:46 Creston

El Pit wrote on Oct 19, 2017, 11:39:
I supported these guys by buying the base game early, but this flood of DLCs is close to that train game. Sorry, won't buy further DLCs and will be happy with the base game or will buy a complete edition in a few years or so. I am simply no fan of nickel and diming and will never support this approach.

Nevertheless, the base game alone is great and I don't feel I am missing out on something.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but if the base game is great, why do you feel these DLCs/expansions are nickle and diming you? I mean, especially in this one, there is a TON of content, they obviously spent a lot of hours into developing it?

3. Re: Cities: Skylines - Green Cities Sprout Oct 19, 2017, 11:39 El Pit

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

2. Re: Cities: Skylines - Green Cities Sprout Oct 19, 2017, 10:54 NKD

Smoke weed everyday.  

You are being watched.

1. Re: Cities: Skylines - Green Cities Sprout Oct 19, 2017, 10:06 Creston

Cool

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo