Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 19, 2017, 17:22 MeanJim

Quboid wrote on Oct 19, 2017, 10:01:
Weird. Those icons are at the top of the start menu (I also remove the task-bar search ASAP) and default to no filter. I've no idea why this is different.

It gets weirder. After I posted that last night, I started messing around with it and I have no idea what I did, but now I think I'm seeing what you described. I literally didn't change anything, I just clicked through all of the icons on the side and bottom and suddenly it changed.

I now have three icons at the top (apps, docs, web) and I see the filter menu you are talking about. I clicked filter and it's set to All (Most relevant on this PC, Web). When I start typing the name of a document I frequently edit, it still does not show any results there, I have to click the documents icon at the top.

I can't even get it to go back to the way it was because that was easier to use before. Previously I had icons to filter between all the different result types without an extra click of that filter menu, but now it's just the apps, documents and web icons and the filter menu.

Verno wrote on Oct 19, 2017, 09:13:
I just use Everything instead.

I use that too when I need to find something that isn't indexed. It doesn't take hours to index like MS's search indexer, and it's quicker to find shit. Too bad it isn't integrated into the start menu.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 19, 2017, 11:43 RedEye9

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 19, 2017, 11:43:
Verno wrote on Oct 19, 2017, 09:13:
Quboid wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 20:39:

I get all sorts of results when I search from the startmenu in Windows 10. Applications, documents, folders, etc.

When you search, at the top right of the results there is a filter option. What is this set to? Mine is "All, most relevant on this PC", it resets to that each time I open the search menu. The three options at the top left (apps, documents, settings) are all toggled off.

Windows Search Indexing is notoriously awful. Totally inconsistent despite similar settings, often failing to index content its been pointed at and frankly a general downgrade from previous iterations. I don't even use it anymore, I just use Everything instead.
yep, voidtools.com everything get's my vote

https://www.lawfareblog.com/topic/russia-connection
The game’s afoot.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/fact-checker-most-repeated-disinformation/

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 19, 2017, 10:01 Quboid

MeanJim wrote on Oct 19, 2017, 02:24:
I get all sorts of results when I search from the startmenu in Windows 10. Applications, documents, folders, etc.

When you search, at the top right of the results there is a filter option. What is this set to? Mine is "All, most relevant on this PC", it resets to that each time I open the search menu. The three options at the top left (apps, documents, settings) are all toggled off.

There is nothing at the top right (or left) when searching from the start menu. I'm talking about when you press the start button on the keyboard or the start menu icon at the bottom left of the screen, not that search bar that is (was) on the task bar. That was the first thing I disabled after installing Win 10 because it seems unnecessary to have that taking up so much space on the task bar when you can do the same thing by typing with the start menu up.

When I press start and begin typing, down at the bottom of the results, just above where text appears when you start typing, are icons to filter results from apps, documents, pictures, etc. It always defaults to apps and I have to click one of icons to get results for other things.

Weird. Those icons are at the top of the start menu (I also remove the task-bar search ASAP) and default to no filter. I've no idea why this is different.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 19, 2017, 09:13 Verno

Windows Search Indexing is notoriously awful. Totally inconsistent despite similar settings, often failing to index content its been pointed at and frankly a general downgrade from previous iterations. I don't even use it anymore, I just use Everything instead.

Playing: Renovate My Kitchen
Watching: MI Fallout, Deadpool 2, House

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 19, 2017, 02:24 MeanJim

There is nothing at the top right (or left) when searching from the start menu. I'm talking about when you press the start button on the keyboard or the start menu icon at the bottom left of the screen, not that search bar that is (was) on the task bar. That was the first thing I disabled after installing Win 10 because it seems unnecessary to have that taking up so much space on the task bar when you can do the same thing by typing with the start menu up.

When I press start and begin typing, down at the bottom of the results, just above where text appears when you start typing, are icons to filter results from apps, documents, pictures, etc. It always defaults to apps and I have to click one of icons to get results for other things.

MeanJim on Steam

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 18, 2017, 21:48 RedEye9

NewMaxx wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 19:07:
Windows 10 LTSB FTW
Too many hoops to jump through for the Enterprise version of a shitty os.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/topic/russia-connection
The game’s afoot.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/fact-checker-most-repeated-disinformation/

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 18, 2017, 20:39 Quboid

MeanJim wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 18:48:
HorrorScope wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 15:25:
Article mentions windows 7 has a superior start menu. I don't see it that way at all.

I still prefer the Windows 7 Start menu. They both have their good and bad parts, but overall I found Windows 7's start menu more productive. For example, when typing to search in the Windows 7 start menu, it shows results for programs, documents, pictures, etc. Windows 10 only shows results programs. To see results for other things, after typing you have to click the icons at the bottom to switch to different result types.

I have spread sheets and documents that I edit often. On Windows 7, I could just press start, type the first four letters of its file name and hit enter to open it up, without touching the mouse. With Windows 10 I have to press start, type the four letters, then click the documents icon to switch to searching documents mode, then click the document I want from the results.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 18, 2017, 19:07 NewMaxx

Windows 10 LTSB FTW  

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 18, 2017, 18:48 MeanJim

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 15:25:
Article mentions windows 7 has a superior start menu. I don't see it that way at all.

I still prefer the Windows 7 Start menu. They both have their good and bad parts, but overall I found Windows 7's start menu more productive. For example, when typing to search in the Windows 7 start menu, it shows results for programs, documents, pictures, etc. Windows 10 only shows results programs. To see results for other things, after typing you have to click the icons at the bottom to switch to different result types.

I have spread sheets and documents that I edit often. On Windows 7, I could just press start, type the first four letters of its file name and hit enter to open it up, without touching the mouse. With Windows 10 I have to press start, type the four letters, then click the documents icon to switch to searching documents mode, then click the document I want from the results.

MeanJim on Steam

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 18, 2017, 15:25 HorrorScope

Article mentions windows 7 has a superior start menu. I don't see it that way at all. Update is more a whatever, barely even worth much a mention for most. I can only hope I'm more secure, I'm not sure that can be true, they told me 15 years ago I was secure, still pitching the same line.  

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 18, 2017, 15:20 Creston

The bad news is there is no good news.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 18, 2017, 14:46 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 13:15:
The bad news: all your privacy settings are reset to maximum data collection.

^ this + "we have taken the liberty to drop a dozen free crapware apps with additional spying features on your PC without your consent. Kindly STFU, please. It's free, OK?".

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 18, 2017, 13:15 jdreyer

The good news: minor stability updates

The bad news: all your privacy settings are reset to maximum data collection.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo