Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Metaverse

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 18, 2017, 05:24 Nucas

Muscular Beaver wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 10:01:
words words words

it sounds like what's at issue here is that you want to just say whatever pops into your head, without consequence; and other people should just "get over it".

the fact that people say "wow, what as asshole" when you call people faggot in a video game is, to you, a sea change of "PC culture"?

here's what's really going on. you're free to say whatever you want. those people you're inflicting your drivel on are also free to interpret it however they want, and tell you you're being a fuckhead. that's all. demanding they "just get it", or "get over it" and just stay quiet rather than give you a response you don't like is the attitude of a literal child.

you judge yourself by your intentions (i'm just joking! what's the big deal!), other people judge you by your actions (they see and hear someone calling strangers a faggot on the internet and are not obligated to calibrate their response after a consultation with you on your 'jokey' intent).

here's the other side of the coin: when the gaming press and others declared gamer gate was a bunch of racist misogynists, and that "gamers" were dead, the shrill caterwauling from "real gamers" was deafening. what's the big deal? "gamer" is just a word, right? maybe gamergate should just Get Over It™.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 17, 2017, 17:40 Beamer

Beamer wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 09:44:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 07:49:
Beamer wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 07:23:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 06:45:
This politicization of even the gaming sector now... wow...
Ive called people "fags" and whatnot if I was angry getting killed all the time in a game. So what? That doesnt mean I hate gay people or actually would want to smash that guys head in.

It says a lot about you that it's the word you go to, and whether you mean it or not doesn't matter, because how does anyone on the receiving end know how you intend it?
Because its just a word and you try to press a meaning into it. There was a nice South Park episode about that very word too, which you obviously havent watched.
When someone is mad about something, many things exit their mouths which they actually dont mean.
You as an experienced human with more than 30 years of life should know that. But you dont. That actually means that something is wrong with you.

I mean thoughts like yours are becoming a real epidemic.
Yesterday I played a game and "insulted" someone as a "fucking hippie", actually followed by a laugh, because he just escaped me and had an in game character that is modeled as a hippie from the 70s. He completely ticked out, insulted me and threatened me, tried to push me into a political corner, because he thought I meant it personally. But I was just playing my character.
So you think thats normal behavior?

I have watched it. I actually reference it frequently around my girlfriend, who doesn't think Harleys are the worst thing ever.

Hardly matters what it means to you, or the straight guys on South Park. Matters why you use it when there are so many other words, and the damage you're clearly trying to do with it. Sorry, I don't think people say things they don't mean when they're angry. If that's the case, maybe Mel Gibson isn't antisemitic, despite having numerous, repeated angry outburst of such. It's the first word that comes to your mind, and that does mean something.

No, I don't your anecdote is normal, in that I also don't think it happens often. Nor do I think you can compare "fucking hippie," which someone choses to be, with "fag," which someone doesn't and people are still constantly persecuted, in this country, for, which the President jokes the Vice President wants to lynch, which the Vice President openly considers a medical disease that should be cured, which a still significant chunk of America feels should have fewer freedoms.

Part of the problem with the gaming community is how often people want to throw these terms out to deliberately do damage to someone else, then claim it doesn't make them bad because they didn't truly mean it. You truly meant to hurt that person verbally. You chose that word. You are not a bad person overall, but you absolutely did something really shitty, and you're laughing about it as if it's not a big deal, but you chose something intentionally to hurt someone that actually hurts many people beyond that one person.

Yet you still havent grasped what it was about.
I havent done any damage with it. Thats the point. And you fell for it. I have never called anyone a fag in their face or via chat or voice chat. I have called them that just like Pewdiepie did (minus the audience). And you go ballistic over it, because you havent grasped the topic.

You just proved exactly what I was talking about. You cause problems where there are none.
Also when I vent I prevent damage to myself. Not everyone can swallow and swallow and swallow without ever letting it out. Thats simple psychology, which I actually get explained every day by [b]my[/b] girlfriend.
Some people let it out into the face of others. So what? I can deal with an angry gamer going ballistic over BS. Who cant? Only people who are very insecure, which is a problem in their whole life and they should get professional help to get it fixed or they will have far more serious problems outside of games.

I am talking about the general problem that people take things like those far too seriously, yet you just care about attacking me and blowing it out of proportions (using a totally irrelevant example to this topic) and just got served.
And yes, it happens just like that very often. I just explained why. But if they want to make that normal and former normal people their enemy, an enemy of the society, then that goes too far. Just because someone else is too weak, we should make everyone who might slip out an insult, a Nazi, homophobe, racist, whatever? WTF?
I could go out of topic now too and make your hypocrisy obvious, but that would be just that: Off topic.
People who know what you said before about a similar topic have seen your hypocrisy now.

How do you know you haven't done damage? And, frankly, normalizing something is damaging, but you'd never agree.

Also, if your daily life fills you with so much rage that you need to call people "fags" online to balance yourself... that's a bit frightening, no? Does that sound normal or well balanced to you? To "prevent damage to [yourself]?" Do you mean suicide? Cutting? There are certainly less destructive, and more productive, methods to channel yourself. I'm not insulting you here, but do you have anyone to talk to? Yeah, calling people "fags" online is cheaper, unless you frequently get banned, but why pass that anger and rage on to others? You're just making someone else's day suck so that yours is better. Why do they deserve that?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 17, 2017, 17:39 Beamer

Bodolza wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 17:08:
Some people let it out into the face of others. So what? I can deal with an angry gamer going ballistic over BS. Who cant?
Judging by this rant, I'd say you can't.

Only people who are very insecure, which is a problem in their whole life and they should get professional help to get it fixed or they will have far more serious problems outside of games.
Agreed, professional help sounds like a good idea.

Here's a simple idea that will solve this for everyone involved: Don't be a dick

It's not hard to not be a dick. There are plenty of other words available to you to express your frustration which are not epithets. Why not use one of those words instead? It will make others happier if you do, and it's so easy.

Exactly. If you're going to be angry at how you're judged for using certain words, don't use those words. Be a better person. Like we both said, there are so many other insults, and online you never know who you're playing against and how it may impact them, even if they're not the target of the insult.

-------------

8. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 17, 2017, 17:08 Bodolza

Some people let it out into the face of others. So what? I can deal with an angry gamer going ballistic over BS. Who cant?
Judging by this rant, I'd say you can't.

Only people who are very insecure, which is a problem in their whole life and they should get professional help to get it fixed or they will have far more serious problems outside of games.
Agreed, professional help sounds like a good idea.

Here's a simple idea that will solve this for everyone involved: Don't be a dick

It's not hard to not be a dick. There are plenty of other words available to you to express your frustration which are not epithets. Why not use one of those words instead? It will make others happier if you do, and it's so easy.

7. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 17, 2017, 10:01 Muscular Beaver

Beamer wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 09:44:
Ive called people "fags" and whatnot if I was angry getting killed all the time in a game. So what? That doesnt mean I hate gay people or actually would want to smash that guys head in.

It says a lot about you that it's the word you go to, and whether you mean it or not doesn't matter, because how does anyone on the receiving end know how you intend it?
Because its just a word and you try to press a meaning into it. There was a nice South Park episode about that very word too, which you obviously havent watched.
When someone is mad about something, many things exit their mouths which they actually dont mean.
You as an experienced human with more than 30 years of life should know that. But you dont. That actually means that something is wrong with you.

Yesterday I played a game and "insulted" someone as a "fucking hippie", actually followed by a laugh, because he just escaped me and had an in game character that is modeled as a hippie from the 70s. He completely ticked out, insulted me and threatened me, tried to push me into a political corner, because he thought I meant it personally. But I was just playing my character.

I have watched it. I actually reference it frequently around my girlfriend, who doesn't think Harleys are the worst thing ever.

Hardly matters what it means to you, or the straight guys on South Park. Matters why you use it when there are so many other words, and the damage you're clearly trying to do with it. Sorry, I don't think people say things they don't mean when they're angry. If that's the case, maybe Mel Gibson isn't antisemitic, despite having numerous, repeated angry outburst of such. It's the first word that comes to your mind, and that does mean something.

No, I don't your anecdote is normal, in that I also don't think it happens often. Nor do I think you can compare "fucking hippie," which someone choses to be, with "fag," which someone doesn't and people are still constantly persecuted, in this country, for, which the President jokes the Vice President wants to lynch, which the Vice President openly considers a medical disease that should be cured, which a still significant chunk of America feels should have fewer freedoms.

Part of the problem with the gaming community is how often people want to throw these terms out to deliberately do damage to someone else, then claim it doesn't make them bad because they didn't truly mean it. You truly meant to hurt that person verbally. You chose that word. You are not a bad person overall, but you absolutely did something really shitty, and you're laughing about it as if it's not a big deal, but you chose something intentionally to hurt someone that actually hurts many people beyond that one person.

Yet you still havent grasped what it was about.
I havent done any damage with it. Thats the point. And you fell for it. I have never called anyone a fag in their face or via chat or voice chat. I have called them that just like Pewdiepie did (minus the audience). And you go ballistic over it, because you havent grasped the topic.

You just proved exactly what I was talking about. You cause problems where there are none.
Also when I vent I prevent damage to myself. Not everyone can swallow and swallow and swallow without ever letting it out. Thats simple psychology, which I actually get explained every day by [b]my[/b] girlfriend.
Some people let it out into the face of others. So what? I can deal with an angry gamer going ballistic over BS. Who cant? Only people who are very insecure, which is a problem in their whole life and they should get professional help to get it fixed or they will have far more serious problems outside of games.

I am talking about the general problem that people take things like those far too seriously, yet you just care about attacking me and blowing it out of proportions (using a totally irrelevant example to this topic) and just got served.
And yes, it happens just like that very often. I just explained why. But if they want to make that normal and former normal people their enemy, an enemy of the society, then that goes too far. Just because someone else is too weak, we should make everyone who might slip out an insult, a Nazi, homophobe, racist, whatever? WTF?
I could go out of topic now too and make your hypocrisy obvious, but that would be just that: Off topic.
People who know what you said before about a similar topic have seen your hypocrisy now.

This comment was edited on Oct 17, 2017, 10:11.

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

6. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 17, 2017, 09:44 Beamer

-------------

5. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 17, 2017, 07:49 Muscular Beaver

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 17, 2017, 07:23 Beamer

-------------

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 17, 2017, 06:45 Muscular Beaver

This "over-PC" is getting out of hand. You cant make jokes anymore without fearing making a tiny mistake and angering someone, you cant vent without getting judged for it. You always anger someone when making a joke! Can you imagine where this will lead, if everyone feels attacked like that and goes public with it? Can you imagine what happens when people cant vent anymore?
WTF, seriously guys, think where this is heading!

2. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 17, 2017, 06:15 Luke

And nettyflixi how Many of those so called new sub are in for the free Month....  

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 17, 2017, 02:34 Cutter

Racial exploitation? Like Affirmative Action? Is that what they mean?

"If the snow begins to fall and you can't find the fire, let the water wash away your sins." - Hope County Choir

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo