Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay?

Almost exactly a year ago Cloud Imperium announced Squadron 42, one half of the Star Citizen project, was delayed until this year. Now a new Roberts Space Industries newsletter lays out the CitizenCon schedule, and offers a Squadron 42 update that indicates this is probably is delayed once again (thanks Eurogamer). The post also offers this video showing enhancements coming to the game's cockpits. Back to the potential setback, they don't actually come out and say it's delayed, but it's pretty easy to read between the lines when they say they will be showing Squadron 42 in a livestream in December, that they've "been making good progress ," and that "it is going to be worth the wait." Here's the quote:

With Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 in Evocati test phase and a lot of our developers working on wrapping up the remaining features and polish needed to get 3.0 into everyone’s hands, we have decided to focus CitizenCon on Alpha 3.0 and beyond.

Squadron 42 will be the focus of our Holiday Livestream in December, where we will preview some gameplay and share our roadmap for its completion.

Our single player campaign, Squadron 42, shares a large amount of technology and content with Star Citizen and both games fuel each other. Technology built for Squadron 42 allows for a better experience in Star Citizen and technology for Star Citizen opens up opportunities that take Squadron 42 to another level. Subsumption is an example of technology that is critical for both Star Citizen and Squadron 42. The Item 2.0 refactor and the Player Interaction Mode were essential for Star Citizen and it is now allowing new and varied gameplay in Squadron 42. Planet Tech, the Zone System and 64-bit precision allows us to expand the playscape for Squadron 42 to solar system scale.

We have a large team working on Squadron 42 and we’ve been making good progress towards achieving my goal to take the Wing Commander style narrative experience to the next level with first person gameplay that moves between foot, vehicles and incredible locations all rendered with a fluidity and quality that you normally only see in pre-rendered cinematic scenes. I am confident it is going to be worth the wait; a game that can hold its own with any other AAA story game.

I am excited to show you some of this in December. And until then I’ll see you at CitizenCon!
-Chris Roberts

View
87 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

87. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 20, 2017, 15:43 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 14:18:
I have disappoint this didn't make 100 comments.
Have faith

But seriously, what can be said in a star citizen thread that has not been mentioned many times before? Although they always entertain.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

86. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 20, 2017, 14:18 jdreyer

I have disappoint this didn't make 100 comments.  

Stay a while, and listen.

85. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 19, 2017, 20:56 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Oct 19, 2017, 12:56:
Flatline wrote on Oct 19, 2017, 12:25:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 14:46:
In other words, it is somewhat nihilistic and arrogant to put a great deal of faith into believing people who, with average lifespans of 70 years, say the sun will turn into a red giant and destroy the earth in 5 billion years. In contrast, I choose the Bible's positive message of a future where our planet remains forever powered by the indefinitely lasting power of the sun.

Compared to the arrogance of choosing to believe people who, when they wrote the bible, had an average lifespan of around 40-50 years, were basically sheep herders, and drilled holes in peoples heads to let the demons out when they had headaches and thought that illness caused by germs were acts of God or demons?

We just saw two neutron stars smack into each other using multiple detection techniques, proving part of Einstein's theories, and ushered in a new era of astrophysics.

It doesn't take faith to know what will happen to our sun, it just takes attention because we see it happening in the rest of our universe. If you're not looking, that doesn't make you right.
That neutron star story was really cool. It's so amazing Einstein could predict that. Also, I had no idea that's how gold formed.
Someone will probably just spill a tanker truck full of aqua regia on it.

84. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 19, 2017, 12:56 jdreyer

Flatline wrote on Oct 19, 2017, 12:25:
In other words, it is somewhat nihilistic and arrogant to put a great deal of faith into believing people who, with average lifespans of 70 years, say the sun will turn into a red giant and destroy the earth in 5 billion years. In contrast, I choose the Bible's positive message of a future where our planet remains forever powered by the indefinitely lasting power of the sun.

Compared to the arrogance of choosing to believe people who, when they wrote the bible, had an average lifespan of around 40-50 years, were basically sheep herders, and drilled holes in peoples heads to let the demons out when they had headaches and thought that illness caused by germs were acts of God or demons?

We just saw two neutron stars smack into each other using multiple detection techniques, proving part of Einstein's theories, and ushered in a new era of astrophysics.

It doesn't take faith to know what will happen to our sun, it just takes attention because we see it happening in the rest of our universe. If you're not looking, that doesn't make you right.
That neutron star story was really cool. It's so amazing Einstein could predict that. Also, I had no idea that's how gold formed.

83. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 19, 2017, 12:25 Flatline

82. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 17, 2017, 22:03 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 21:11:
Next thing you'll say is that the moon is not made of cheese. You Blasphemer!
I'm crackers about cheese!

81. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 17, 2017, 21:11 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 20:56:
Science explains......
Wow. You are further gone than I understood. It is one thing to have faith and believe in a supreme being of some kind. I really have no objection to that, other than when clowns like you spout off about it in public. Or when it leads to wars...

But to deny the science which has been proved through direct observation, which shows the star in the center of our solar system will eventually run out of fuel (roughly 5 billion years from now) -- that is seriously delusional. You might as well tell us you believe the earth is flat. It's about the same level of denial.
Next thing you'll say is that the moon is not made of cheese. You Blasphemer!

80. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 17, 2017, 20:56 Mr. Tact

Science explains a lot, but it is not the be-all and end-all for everything. Hebrews 11:1 says "faith is the assured expectation of things hoped for." In other words, it is somewhat nihilistic and arrogant to put a great deal of faith into believing people who, with average lifespans of 70 years, say the sun will turn into a red giant and destroy the earth in 5 billion years. In contrast, I choose the Bible's positive message of a future where our planet remains forever powered by the indefinitely lasting power of the sun.
Wow. You are further gone than I understood. It is one thing to have faith and believe in a supreme being of some kind. I really have no objection to that, other than when clowns like you spout off about it in public. Or when it leads to wars...

But to deny the science which has been proved through direct observation, which shows the star in the center of our solar system will eventually run out of fuel (roughly 5 billion years from now) -- that is seriously delusional. You might as well tell us you believe the earth is flat. It's about the same level of denial.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

79. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 17, 2017, 20:17 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 01:58:
Can it being trolling if the poster believes it to be true? KXMode is a great guy, but when science contradicts the Bible, he tends to go off the deep end.

Science explains a lot, but it is not the be-all and end-all for everything. Hebrews 11:1 says "faith is the assured expectation of things hoped for." In other words, it is somewhat nihilistic and arrogant to put a great deal of faith into believing people who, with average lifespans of 70 years, say the sun will turn into a red giant and destroy the earth in 5 billion years. In contrast, I choose the Bible's positive message of a future where our planet remains forever powered by the indefinitely lasting power of the sun.

You can't use the Bible to prove the Bible.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

78. Re:Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 17, 2017, 20:08 Rigs

I think, for now on, on all Star Citizen threads, Blue should post a big-ass banner ad or three small ones, or a video ad, something that brings in hella money, and if you want to participate in the clusterfucks that are Blue's Star Citizen Discussions, you gotta contribute a little before you...contribute a little (or a lot). And in these types of discussions, the rules are a little more lax, but it has to, in some way, trace back to SC. Call 'em 'Star Citizen Pit Fight threads or something and you pay-to-play, just like everything else that's screwed up in this god forsaken industry. Crazy?

=-Rigs-=

"I remember feeling profoundly disappointed at the scene when Byeck's missus gives him a hidden blade and says, 'This is a weapon from ancient times!' BITCH, we're IN 'ancient times'!" - Yahtzee, 'Assassin's Creed: Origins'

77. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 17, 2017, 19:10 Creston

mr_toad wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 16:28:
My .02 about SC -- my brain thinks it's a giant ponzi scheme my heart hopes it not and that the faith of its backers would be well placed.

I honestly don't think it started out that way. I think CR and his group of devs genuinely wanted to make a great game, sell it, then see how far they could go.

But once they saw that 300+ of them could draw healthy salaries and benefits because there are enough people who will pay for pictures of pretty starships, they all went "Wait a second... If we finish this game, people will stop giving us money for pretty pictures of starships, but if we just keep on developing it, and keep drawing more pretty pictures of pretty starships, people will keep giving us money almost indefinitely!"

If people keep giving them money for five more years, there will be no game for five more years, but once the money stops coming in, the game is going to be out in a few months time.

76. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 17, 2017, 18:59 RedEye9

Kxmode wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 14:53:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 11:34:
It's definitely trolling, especially since the rest of us know the truth.

This recent Armageddon-based cult was formed in July 1879:
The Watchtower Society (More Notably Known as “Jehovah’s Witnesses”)
Charles Taze Russel founds a Bible study group, as well as a magazine he will begin to publish. It became known as “Zion’s Watch Tower Tract Society” in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in 1881, and, on December 15th, 1884, became legally incorporated. Renamed “Jehovah’s Witnesses” in 1931, this cult has gone on to be one of the most well-known religious organizations of all time; not to mention, it is still in existence to this day. Known for their three false doomsday predictions (1914, 1925, and 1975), and a worldwide membership of 7.1 million people, Jehovah’s Witnesses is a fine example of an Armageddon-based cult, both in the past and present.

RedEye, your argumentum ad hominem has no power. You will never be able to counter any points from the Bible because you possess none. I know all your words: "sky wizard", "book of myths", "stoopid Xtian," "cult member," and so forth. Your inability, or unwillingness, to express any degree of knowledge with the subject matter in question is quite sad, really.
Enjoy the kool-aid kiddo, your indoctrination is complete.
As for having a discussion with a member of a fringe cult who believes myths and fables are real, no thanks, I'll pass.

75. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 17, 2017, 16:28 mr_toad

Wow just when I thought this thread could not get more controversial beyond the usual SC delay / scam stuff somehow Bible, science and creationism get thrown into the mix.

My .02 about SC -- my brain thinks it's a giant ponzi scheme my heart hopes it not and that the faith of its backers would be well placed. I'd like nothing more than a couple years from now (give or take a decade ) for a SC faithful backer to say "see I TOLD you so, I was right and you proved to be wrong." Sort of like when my wife disagrees with me, I may be forced to argue for the principal of something I believe in but I secretly hope she'll end up being right. Everything's so much easier that way....

My .02 about God and science. I call myself a Christian and believe in the miracles of the Bible, Jesus' rising from the dead and saving the human race, etc, etc. I believe in Science too, carbon dating is about as proven and irrefutable science as there is. If you look at different examples of the fossil record, I don't know how you could deny that long term evolution took and is taking place. To a non Christian, I wouldn't really try to argue too much with them about matters of faith. If they had questions for me I'd be happy to try to answer what I did know which is not much and hear them out. To a Christian who cherry picks and rejects what they don't like about Science, I'd simply say, if your child had a heart attack, would you look for a fix for their heart in the bible or the hospital? Sure you're going to pray, but I can guarantee you unless you're a member of a Christian cult fringe group (Christian scientists) you're going to be bringing them to a hospital to save their live. Well guess what, it's hypocritical to embrce what you consider to be good science -- ie heart medicine -- when the same scientific principles nearly irrefutable provide evidence of a 4.5 billion year old earth and long term evolution. Ultimately I don't think there will be any conflict, if God created Science and Math, there should be no conflict in believing in both. (And of course my believe in Christianity is faith, I could be wrong, otherwise it would not be faith).

Regardless, thank you all for sharing your viewpoints, this thread has made for a great read fore a short work break!

74. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 17, 2017, 15:46 NKD

That's the great thing about science. You don't have to have faith in anyone. Everyone's always double checking each others work and trying to prove each other wrong.

As to the number of years involved, that's a bit of a faulty comparison. Very long term predictions of major events are actually the easiest to make, because tiny differences average out, and no random anomalies exist large enough to throw off the calculations.

We know what the Sun will be doing in roughly 5 billion years. We know this because we have an entire sky full of stars and all kinds of data on how stars work, and how long they live.

We know that our galaxy is going to merge with the Andromeda galaxy in about 4 billion years. We know this for the same reason we know that if we continue standing on the train tracks that the train is going to hit us. It's moving towards us and there is no reason to believe it will stop at any point.

We know that in 2 trillion years, all the nearby galaxies will have clustered into a single big galaxy thanks to gravity. Anyone alive at that time will be unable to observe any of the other galaxies or objects in the universe because the expansion of the universe will have redshifted all of it to a wavelength larger than any possible observation mechnism could see.

Meanwhile the Bible simply predicts that eventually Earth is going to go to shit, there's going to be some terrible apocalypse, and we're all pretty much toast. And none of that works if we're out in space on other planets, so it has to happen sometime soon. But those of us lucky enough to have been born into the correct religion will get whisked away to the happy place. Everyone else gets to burn in hell forever.

Truly a positive message of the future.

You are being watched.

73. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 17, 2017, 14:53 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 11:34:

Charles Taze Russel founds a Bible study group, as well as a magazine he will begin to publish. It became known as “Zion’s Watch Tower Tract Society” in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in 1881, and, on December 15th, 1884, became legally incorporated. Renamed “Jehovah’s Witnesses” in 1931, this cult has gone on to be one of the most well-known religious organizations of all time; not to mention, it is still in existence to this day. Known for their three false doomsday predictions (1914, 1925, and 1975), and a worldwide membership of 7.1 million people, Jehovah’s Witnesses is a fine example of an Armageddon-based cult, both in the past and present.

RedEye, your argumentum ad hominem has no power. You will never be able to counter any points from the Bible because you possess none. I know all your words: "sky wizard", "book of myths", "stoopid Xtian," "cult member," and so forth. Your inability, or unwillingness, to express any degree of knowledge with the subject matter in question is quite sad, really.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

72. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 17, 2017, 14:46 Kxmode

Can it being trolling if the poster believes it to be true? KXMode is a great guy, but when science contradicts the Bible, he tends to go off the deep end.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

71. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 17, 2017, 13:51 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 10:04:
Squirmer wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 17:13:
Like it or not, Star Citizen is newsworthy. The biggest crowd-funded game, with the potential to be one of the biggest scandals in the game industry. Makes sense for Blue to keep track of these delays and controversies.

I think we can safely say that if SC goes tits up, it will be THE biggest scandal in the history of gaming. I can't see anything else that even comes close.

(Not saying that it will go tits up, btw.)

Not that I want it to go tits up either. I want this to be a thing. I just don't see how given their current pace. A few years ago on this forum, I said we'd be lucky to get 10 complete systems upon release, not the original planned 100. I'm going to have to revise that:

We'll get one complete system upon release.

70. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 17, 2017, 13:49 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 04:45:

Huh. I knew he was religious but I wasn't aware he was also a YEC. That's why I assumed I was misinterpreting his post, or later, being trolled. Could be worse I suppose, he could believe in the myth that is Star Citizen.

He is certainly an enigma. One of the nicest guys on the forum. Loves sci fi and astronomy, works in tech, but rejects some of the basic tenets of scientific theory.

69. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 17, 2017, 11:34 RedEye9

NKD wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 23:55:
Rigs wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 23:49:
*smacks NKD on the back of the head*
Whatsdamattawityou?!
I am not pulling that fishing hook out of your mouth! You sit there and think about what you did while I go searching for some pliers...

Uh oh have I been trolled? Dagnabbit

Can it being trolling if the poster believes it to be true?

68. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 17, 2017, 10:04 Creston

Squirmer wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 17:13:
Like it or not, Star Citizen is newsworthy. The biggest crowd-funded game, with the potential to be one of the biggest scandals in the game industry. Makes sense for Blue to keep track of these delays and controversies.

I think we can safely say that if SC goes tits up, it will be THE biggest scandal in the history of gaming. I can't see anything else that even comes close.

(Not saying that it will go tits up, btw.)

87 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo