Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

CD Projekt RED on Cyberpunk 2077 Progress and Employee Dissent

Speaking of CD Projekt RED, the company tweets a response to negative comments made on sites like Glassdoor from alleged ex-employees (thanks DSOGaming). Here's part of their statement:

This approach to making games is not for everyone. It often requires a conscious effort to "reinvent the wheel" even if you personally think it already works like a charm. But you know what? We believe reinventing that wheel every friggin' time is what makes a better game. It's what creates innovation and make it possible to say we've worked really hard on something, and we think it's worth your hard-earned cash. If you make games with a "close enough is good enough" attitude, you end up in a comfort zone. And you know where the magic happens.

Cyberpunk 2077 is progressing as planned, but we are taking our time in this case. silence is the cost of making a great game.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. removed Nov 6, 2017, 05:08 sksharma

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 6, 2017, 05:30.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: CD Projekt RED on Cyberpunk 2077 Progress and Employee Dissent Oct 16, 2017, 23:14 Retired

Creston wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 14:04:
Beamer wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 12:33:
Compare to Skyrim, where you don't really play a character, and where you're always annoyed that you're known by sight as the best warrior ever but morons keep talking down to you and challenging you to fights. Somehow I never felt like The Witcher 3 had this issue, even if I was still world renowned...

They actually made a little tongue in cheek joke about that in Blood & Wine. There's a bandit camp off all the way to one side of the map, the bandits attack you as soon as they see you, you slaughter them of course, and Geralt deadpans "I never understand why people would willingly attack an armed Witcher."

Which is so true. I mean, Geralt should be very well known (ESPECIALLY in Toussaint) at that point. Plenty of people shout at him and call him the Butcher of Blaviken after a mere glance, and of course it's immediately evident that he's a Witcher because of his eyes. And yet bandits will still happily attack him.

They have done such an amazing job with the games and keeping it close to lore and cannon. The books are amazing if anyone here HASN'T read them. Most are translated with more to come. I have read them more than once. Easy reads as the lore is a set of short stories of a legend. Amazing.

16. Re: CD Projekt RED on Cyberpunk 2077 Progress and Employee Dissent Oct 16, 2017, 23:08 Retired

Where do I put my money? Just tell me where to throw it.  

15. Re: CD Projekt RED on Cyberpunk 2077 Progress and Employee Dissent Oct 16, 2017, 21:15 Wowbagger_TIP

jdreyer wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 19:30:
Slashman wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 16:35:
Peter M. Smith wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 15:24:
But yeah, Cyberpunk sounds like they want to vary it enough to be endlessly replayable.

Can you imagine if CDPR went with Shadowrun instead of Cyberpunk? All that chrome goodness, but then throw Tolkien in on top of it?

I honestly think I would prefer that. I love the Shadowrun concept and I'm always sorry that HBS didn't do it bigger and better as a full openworld RPG.

In defense of HBS, they didn't have the money. They had $3M. An open world RPG would cost $30M.

Yep, but I think they did a great job with what they had. The games were all good, and captured the Shadowrun feeling pretty well.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

14. Re: CD Projekt RED on Cyberpunk 2077 Progress and Employee Dissent Oct 16, 2017, 19:30 jdreyer

Slashman wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 16:35:
But yeah, Cyberpunk sounds like they want to vary it enough to be endlessly replayable.

Can you imagine if CDPR went with Shadowrun instead of Cyberpunk? All that chrome goodness, but then throw Tolkien in on top of it?

I honestly think I would prefer that. I love the Shadowrun concept and I'm always sorry that HBS didn't do it bigger and better as a full openworld RPG.

In defense of HBS, they didn't have the money. They had $3M. An open world RPG would cost $30M.

Stay a while, and listen.

13. Re: CD Projekt RED on Cyberpunk 2077 Progress and Employee Dissent Oct 16, 2017, 16:35 Slashman

12. Re: CD Projekt RED on Cyberpunk 2077 Progress and Employee Dissent Oct 16, 2017, 15:24 Peter M. Smith

11. Re: CD Projekt RED on Cyberpunk 2077 Progress and Employee Dissent Oct 16, 2017, 15:20 aka_STEVE

Yep, extremely interested to see what they pull off in a totally different genre this time.

Worship Wow Amazed Shocked

10. Re: CD Projekt RED on Cyberpunk 2077 Progress and Employee Dissent Oct 16, 2017, 14:04 Creston

Compare to Skyrim, where you don't really play a character, and where you're always annoyed that you're known by sight as the best warrior ever but morons keep talking down to you and challenging you to fights. Somehow I never felt like The Witcher 3 had this issue, even if I was still world renowned...

They actually made a little tongue in cheek joke about that in Blood & Wine. There's a bandit camp off all the way to one side of the map, the bandits attack you as soon as they see you, you slaughter them of course, and Geralt deadpans "I never understand why people would willingly attack an armed Witcher."

Which is so true. I mean, Geralt should be very well known (ESPECIALLY in Toussaint) at that point. Plenty of people shout at him and call him the Butcher of Blaviken after a mere glance, and of course it's immediately evident that he's a Witcher because of his eyes. And yet bandits will still happily attack him.

9. Re: CD Projekt RED on Cyberpunk 2077 Progress and Employee Dissent Oct 16, 2017, 13:34 RedEye9

Cyberpunk 2077
The one ring game to rule them all.
I'm ok w/that.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

8. Re: CD Projekt RED on Cyberpunk 2077 Progress and Employee Dissent Oct 16, 2017, 13:12 Flatline

Creston wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 12:27:
Witcher 3 is already kind of TOO big. Every time I play through it, I make up my mind that THIS TIME I'm going to do everything, and I never do. It's just too much. I'm kind of dreading a game that's even bigger.

I... haven't even finished Blood & Wine.

I keep intending to do a replay of W3 but my god it's a gargantuan game.

7. Re: CD Projekt RED on Cyberpunk 2077 Progress and Employee Dissent Oct 16, 2017, 12:33 Beamer

Creston wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 12:27:
Yeah, it's a massively different sort of game, will need a different style of gameplay, and of course they haven't done themselves any favors by claiming that Cyberpunk will be "massively bigger" than the Witcher 3.

Witcher 3 is already kind of TOO big. Every time I play through it, I make up my mind that THIS TIME I'm going to do everything, and I never do. It's just too much. I'm kind of dreading a game that's even bigger. Their writing staff nearly killed themselves trying to come up with good quests for a game that large, so they probably aren't over-enthused by the prospect of having to create even MORE.

But all that said, these guys know what they're doing. They've made three games in ten years, and every single time, the quality made a humongous leap. Witcher 1 is a good, but flawed game. Witcher 2 is a great game. Witcher 3 is an all-time classic.

If they keep going like that, Cyberpunk 2077 will be the game that ends the game industry, since everyone will just play that forever and ever, amen.

I can't believe you've played through multiple times. Sounds daunting. I extremely rarely revisit a game that takes longer than, say, the original Deus Ex.

But yeah, Cyberpunk sounds like they want to vary it enough to be endlessly replayable. I don't know if that's great - I like more tailored experiences, but at the same time The Witcher 3 somehow did the near-impossible and made it so you could play as an asshole or a saint and only rarely did dialogue around you seem slightly broken, and it still built a great character. Compare to Skyrim, where you don't really play a character, and where you're always annoyed that you're known by sight as the best warrior ever but morons keep talking down to you and challenging you to fights. Somehow I never felt like The Witcher 3 had this issue, even if I was still world renowned...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: CD Projekt RED on Cyberpunk 2077 Progress and Employee Dissent Oct 16, 2017, 12:27 Creston

Yeah, it's a massively different sort of game, will need a different style of gameplay, and of course they haven't done themselves any favors by claiming that Cyberpunk will be "massively bigger" than the Witcher 3.

Witcher 3 is already kind of TOO big. Every time I play through it, I make up my mind that THIS TIME I'm going to do everything, and I never do. It's just too much. I'm kind of dreading a game that's even bigger. Their writing staff nearly killed themselves trying to come up with good quests for a game that large, so they probably aren't over-enthused by the prospect of having to create even MORE.

But all that said, these guys know what they're doing. They've made three games in ten years, and every single time, the quality made a humongous leap. Witcher 1 is a good, but flawed game. Witcher 2 is a great game. Witcher 3 is an all-time classic.

If they keep going like that, Cyberpunk 2077 will be the game that ends the game industry, since everyone will just play that forever and ever, amen.

5. Re: CD Projekt RED on Cyberpunk 2077 Progress and Employee Dissent Oct 16, 2017, 11:48 Beamer

Creston wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 11:03:
I've watched that entire (absolutely excellent) documentary about them, and it's become very clear that they absolutely know what they are doing. Yes, they take risks, but so far all those risks have born out, and have led to what a lot of people call the best game of all time.

Whatever they're doing or trying for Cyberpunk 2077, they have more than earned the benefit of whatever doubt someone might have.

I'm just hoping it'll come out before 2077

"The Witcher with Guns" sounds like an idea that's amazing in your head but much, much harder to figure out how to work when you start thinking about the actual details. I'd guess that that, combined with having to outdo TW3, is leading to a lot of internal development issues.

I still trust it'll be a great game, but I think they're tackling something very difficult at a very difficult point. I'm not envious, but I'm very excited to see what they do next.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

4. Re: CD Projekt RED on Cyberpunk 2077 Progress and Employee Dissent Oct 16, 2017, 11:31 Darks

Primalchrome wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 10:33:
Just 18 more months.....

no, you can add on on at least another 6 months to that date. Bet on that!!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

3. Re: CD Projekt RED on Cyberpunk 2077 Progress and Employee Dissent Oct 16, 2017, 11:03 Creston

I've watched that entire (absolutely excellent) documentary about them, and it's become very clear that they absolutely know what they are doing. Yes, they take risks, but so far all those risks have born out, and have led to what a lot of people call the best game of all time.

Whatever they're doing or trying for Cyberpunk 2077, they have more than earned the benefit of whatever doubt someone might have.

I'm just hoping it'll come out before 2077

2. Re: CD Projekt RED on Cyberpunk 2077 Progress and Employee Dissent Oct 16, 2017, 10:56 RedEye9

They can reinvent that wheel as much as they want, the gamers that will buy that game on day one are not going anywhere.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

1. Re: CD Projekt RED on Cyberpunk 2077 Progress and Employee Dissent Oct 16, 2017, 10:33 Primalchrome

Just 18 more months.....  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo