Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Metaverse

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 15, 2017, 12:24  Blue 

panbient wrote on Oct 15, 2017, 09:45:
Choobeastia wrote on Oct 14, 2017, 21:40:
All of this is moot, really. The real point is that even if we do not agree, it costs nothing to be understanding of a group choosing to stand up against bullies. At the same time, we only diminish ourselves by demeaning them.

Well said.

Also with that roller coaster example -

A person scared of heights might try a roller coaster in an effort to get over their phobia and grow as a person.

Twitter offers nothing of the sort.

Let me clarify my minor point here, which is to agree with your final sentiment. For most people Twitter offers nothing. Most all social media carries some potential for flame wars, but that seems to be Twitter's raison d'etre.

I am not trying to demean people standing up against bullies. I'm surprised anyone familiar with my sentiments would interpret this that way. I am simply questioning why any individual would choose to spend time sharing opinions in a toxic, hostile environment.

What is the upside of participating in Twitter? You share a thought, get affirmation from your echo chamber, and hatred from those who disagree. No one changes their views, and it just spirals into a war of words. Even worse, it's all truncated so there's no chance for nuance or real information exchange, and a much greater chance that things are misconstrued (look what happened here after my 13 word comment). And this is not even getting into the armies of trolls who deliberately foment problems wherever they can for the lulz.

No one is safe, there's always someone to disagree with even the most reasonable point, and people seem to spend as much time managing their block lists as posting.

I would never suggest kids who are bullied should just avoid school, but I don't see why people tweet. It just seems like a battlefield tailored to online warfare.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 15, 2017, 09:45 panbient

Choobeastia wrote on Oct 14, 2017, 21:40:
All of this is moot, really. The real point is that even if we do not agree, it costs nothing to be understanding of a group choosing to stand up against bullies. At the same time, we only diminish ourselves by demeaning them.

Well said.

Also with that roller coaster example -

A person scared of heights might try a roller coaster in an effort to get over their phobia and grow as a person.

Twitter offers nothing of the sort.

12. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 14, 2017, 21:40 Choobeastia

Beamer wrote on Oct 14, 2017, 15:12:
Blue wrote on Oct 14, 2017, 12:47:
Choobeastia wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 21:27:
Why would anyone against online harassment be on Twitter in the first place?

That's a very victim blaming sentiment.

Why would someone afraid of heights ride a roller coaster.

Oops, there I go blaming the victim again.

Roller coasters have one purpose. Twitter ostensibly has one other than harassing people. Or arguing with people. Or debating.

I don't think it's very good at that purpose anymore. I don't think it's good for communication, or ever was, nor for brand building. It's really only good for throwing mud. There remains a few people for whom it serves a professional or personal purpose, but man, let it go. Other social media lets that happen better. Yeah, you can reach a wider audience on Twitter, but it's no longer the audience looking for what you want. Twitter let that boat sale.

So I don't think your comparison is 100% perfect, but each day it gets closer to that.

It really is an imperfect comparison.

Your comparison would work wonderfully if normally roller coasters were comfy sofas, but someone figured out how to throw them through an intense ride. The sitter simply wants to sit, and be comfy, but some asshole comes along and sends them on a heart stopping ride involving tons of heights and drops. They didn't WANT that. They had no way of stopping the person, but they thought, "hey, this isn't likely to happen. Millions of people sit on sofas and don't go on those crazy rides."

Let's go to someone else. Home invasions. There are, according to google-fu, 125.82 million homes in the US. There are approximately 1 million home invasions in the US every year. That means each home has approximately a .79% chance of being invaded. Of course, some areas will be much higher than that, and some areas much lower. Now, if someone kicks in a door, burglarizes a house, and murders the people living there, do we blame the home invader, or did the people not have enough locks? Should they have set up something physical to block the doors, or windows every night? Does who we blame change if their socioeconomic status forced them to live in a better area, or worse area?

11. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 14, 2017, 15:23 Creston

Because Pai is getting a lot of money, Tom. This doesn't seem that hard to understand? He's too busy counting it.

10. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 14, 2017, 15:12 Beamer

Blue wrote on Oct 14, 2017, 12:47:

Roller coasters have one purpose. Twitter ostensibly has one other than harassing people. Or arguing with people. Or debating.

I don't think it's very good at that purpose anymore. I don't think it's good for communication, or ever was, nor for brand building. It's really only good for throwing mud. There remains a few people for whom it serves a professional or personal purpose, but man, let it go. Other social media lets that happen better. Yeah, you can reach a wider audience on Twitter, but it's no longer the audience looking for what you want. Twitter let that boat sale.

So I don't think your comparison is 100% perfect, but each day it gets closer to that.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 14, 2017, 12:47  Blue 

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

8. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 14, 2017, 06:30 Redmask

Cutter wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 22:57:
No, it's jut common sense. If you walk into a biker bar or enter some ghetto then the odds are pretty good some shit is going to go down and it's no one's fault but your own.

Do you actually think in this simpleton manner? Have you ever been in a real biker bar?

I truly mean it when I say that you need to stop chiming in on complex topics. When they say everyone is entitled to an opinion, I don't think those people have seen your comments online.

Media under fire in Washington, complex free speech issues and the President. Cutters response: ya wudnt walk into a biker bar and expect to live!

Thanks, you are a truly a political sage that has saved us all.

7. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 14, 2017, 02:59 El Pit

No, it's jut common sense. If you walk into a biker bar or enter some ghetto then the odds are pretty good some shit is going to go down and it's no one's fault but your own.

Exactly. Because the bikers or ghetto dwellers got every right to break the law... Oh, wait.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

6. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 14, 2017, 02:48 Choobeastia

That's a poor argument. First off, twitter isn't a "biker bar," or a "ghetto." Both of those places wear their looks of danger on the outside. If we were talking about the somethingawful forums, I wouldn't argue, but we're talking about twitter.

MOST of what goes on there, from what I've seen, is not aggressive or nasty. There is some of that too, but someone on the receiving end of it isn't to blame, and shooing them away from the site or service is an argument that will lead to everyplace online being off limits to anyone who isn't an asshole, or good at pretending not to care when they're hurt.

5. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 13, 2017, 22:57 Cutter

"If the snow begins to fall and you can't find the fire, let the water wash away your sins." - Hope County Choir

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 13, 2017, 21:40 jdreyer

I was skeptical about Tom Wheeler when he first started, but he did mostly good stuff. Now we're stuck with a corporate lackey.  

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 13, 2017, 21:27 Choobeastia

2. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 13, 2017, 20:42 NKD

Adolf Twitler would have his ass if he said anything.  

I keep warning you. Doors and corners, kid. That's where they get you. Humans are too fucking stupid to listen.

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 13, 2017, 20:28 RedEye9

Pai is a lapdog, that's why.
Mic drop.

unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality
https://www.lawfareblog.com/topic/russia-connection
The game’s afoot.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo