Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy Friday the 13th! I'm celebrating with a cold. Yesterday I mentioned hopes that my sore throat would not turn into one, but no such luck, I'm now all sneezy (now I'm 3/7ths of the Disney dwarves, as I was already dopey and grumpy). Despite that and the date, I still feel like I'm experiencing some good fortune, as this seems pretty mild so far, and I've had symptoms for three days, so this may pass without becoming too much of a problem. Hope your 13th turns out to be lucky as well.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Blur Racing.
Stories: Ophelia becomes 10th straight hurricane, heads towards Europe.
Obesity among all US adults reaches all-time high.
Science: First facility grabs CO₂ from the air and stores it underground.
A Surprise From the Supervolcano Under Yellowstone. Thanks Slashdot.
Media: Wobbly Sausage.
Failing at Normal: An ADHD Story.
The Funnies: Brevity.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 15, 2017, 15:40 Rigs

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 15, 2017, 10:17:
I was a little surprised, I thought I was pushing the limits. No worries, no harm, no foul.

Thanks, that makes me feel a little better. I guess it was something I needed to get out and didn't realize it. I don't drink much because even one beer will give me a nasty hangover the next day (my nickname when I was 18 was 'One Beer' lol). That was the first time in six or seven years. I didn't feel too bad yesterday but then I remembered that I'd written that and when I saw how much I'd written...

=-Rigs-=

"I remember feeling profoundly disappointed at the scene when Byeck's missus gives him a hidden blade and says, 'This is a weapon from ancient times!' BITCH, we're IN 'ancient times'!" - Yahtzee, 'Assassin's Creed: Origins'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 15, 2017, 10:17 Mr. Tact

Rigs wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 19:38:
<Rest Of Response Redacted>

Wow, I was a little...um...drunk last night, given the circumstances, and wrote a little more than I thought.
I was a little surprised, I thought I was pushing the limits. No worries, no harm, no foul.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2017, 11:36 RedEye9

Wobbly Sausage Stunned
Is that dad laughing in the background? Shocked

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2017, 19:38 Rigs

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 19:02:
My father had a similar decline from his re-occurrence of prostrate cancer which spread to bone cancer. He died while on "home hospice" care and to this day I wonder if at his request my mother might have overdosed him on morphine, which they had as part of the hospice care. I never asked her, and she has since also died. I kind of doubt she did, but even if she did -- I'd have no complaint.

Well, when my father passed, he was so drugged up, he wasn't conscious. He'd been that way for the previous four days, pretty much since Hospice had started caring for him. But one event and two very odd conversations during those four days have both my mother and I thinking, even now, that something went on. And we're both torn as to whether, if it did happen, it was better that it did, as you said.

<Rest Of Response Redacted>

Wow, I was a little...um...drunk last night, given the circumstances, and wrote a little more than I thought. On further reflection, I think those that I was responding to saw what I've said and I don't think I need to leave something that personal (and painful) up forever. I saved the text, so I'm not trying to erase it from history and if anyone is that curious, they can see what I wrote, I just think I wrote a little more than I'm comfortable with...uh, sober. Not many typos though! Surprising!

Hope you guys understand.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2017, 17:23.

"I remember feeling profoundly disappointed at the scene when Byeck's missus gives him a hidden blade and says, 'This is a weapon from ancient times!' BITCH, we're IN 'ancient times'!" - Yahtzee, 'Assassin's Creed: Origins'

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2017, 19:28 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 19:02:
My father had a similar decline from his re-occurrence of prostrate cancer which spread to bone cancer. He died while on "home hospice" care and to this day I wonder if at his request my mother might have overdosed him on morphine, which they had as part of the hospice care. I never asked her, and she has since also died. I kind of doubt she did, but even if she did -- I'd have no complaint.

If she did she's a saint. I never have, and never will, understand people who think people should live in agony for as long as possible until they finally succumb. Yet, they wouldn't think twice about putting a pet down in the same kind of pain. And it invariably comes back to religious guilt that's constantly ingrained into us since day one. At least that bullshit is finally starting to die off and can't go away too soon - think about how much that bullshit fucks up every single aspect of life. Whilst my recent health problems aren't terminal...yet, I sure as shit hope if I'm ever wasting away in constant pain that someone would be merciful enough to end it for me. Life at any cost? No thanks. There are plenty worse things than dying.

I have written the only diet book that I believe needs to exist, and here it is: CHAPTER ONE: Eat a bit less. CHAPTER TWO: Move about a bit more. THE END. - Miranda Hart

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2017, 19:02 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2017, 18:03 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 15:39:
That hurricane track is bizarre.

It's the first cyclone of it's kind since the 'Night of the Big Wind' on Jan 6th, 1839. Though, by the time Ophelia gets to Ireland, it'll most likely be an extratropical (ie cold core) low packing hurricane-force winds. Which is no joke and they should still prepare for some rough weather, though they won't really have to worry about an eye or the eye-wall or anything like that. In fact, it'll probably be part of a cold front (as the 'Night of the Big Wind' was apparently). One notable thing I found in that article about the older storm is an observation of 'motionless clouds' in the calm day before the storm that night. That got me wondering if it's even possible for clouds to be completely motionless? I guess I never really considered it and always thought they'd have at least some motion to them. I know fog can be motionless, to a point, and really all fog is is a cloud at ground level.

Anyway, the 13th of October is a rather depressing day for me, personally. It's the day my father passed away in 2009. He had pancreatic cancer (having beaten prostate cancer a decade before) and was being cared for at home by Hospice. (Don't get me started on Hospice. The rumors of them employing 'Angels of Death' (as some call them) are, IMO, very much true) I had the unfortunate 'pleasure' of watching my 240 pound father waste away to 100 pounds during 2009, not to mention the hundreds of hours spent in emergency rooms and doctors offices. Toward the end, my mother was close to a breakdown and I wasn't far behind. We both sat there holding his hand as he passed. Something I sometimes wish I hadn't done because now it's seared in my brain no matter how much I don't want to think about it. Between that and my sister's passing on Oct 3rd, 2006, which was a shock to the entire family, I don't really look forward to October. I'd rather just power through it and be done with it.

Sorry, didn't mean to be a bummer, guys. Hope you get better, Blue! I had the flu a few months ago, before my surgery and it was absolutely awful. Would not want to repeat that again.

=-Rigs-=

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2017, 17:40 Cutter

Figured I'd buy a lottery ticket today and what was the first number on the ticket - I always just let the machine pick - 13! Lucky 13! So looks like I'll be a multimillionaire tomorrow. Everyone be nice and I'll pay your Steam wishlists this Xmas.

I have written the only diet book that I believe needs to exist, and here it is: CHAPTER ONE: Eat a bit less. CHAPTER TWO: Move about a bit more. THE END. - Miranda Hart

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2017, 15:39 jdreyer

That hurricane track is bizarre.  

Stay a while, and listen.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2017, 14:37 jdreyer

Obesity among all US adults reaches all-time high.

But let's not tax junk food, y'all. Cuz Freedumb.

Stay a while, and listen.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2017, 13:07 El Pit

Creston wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 12:07:
So, if you're capturing CO2 and injecting it into the ground where it turns into stone (Whaaaaaat??? ), wouldn't your injection site fill up fairly quickly? Confused

No, because stone in the ground will be declared a lie, too. The theory about mankind having anything to do with the petrification of earth is a LIE! Vote for Trump 2020! WIN!!!

In 30 years, scientists will declare that they have found a way to stop petrification: they have found a way to turn stone into CO2...

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2017, 12:08 RedEye9

Pulling CO2 from the atmosphere for $$$. Wait till they realize that they can turn around and release the CO2 back into the atmosphere and then scrub it back out again. Think of the windfall profits.

Looking forward to the CO2 wars.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2017, 12:07 Creston

So, if you're capturing CO2 and injecting it into the ground where it turns into stone (Whaaaaaat??? ), wouldn't your injection site fill up fairly quickly? Confused  

2. Re: Obesity among all US adults reaches all-time high Oct 13, 2017, 10:56 MajorD

Wow, at this point I would have thought there was more awareness of this epidemic, and it would have reduced by now. Our society has become too soft and lazy, eats too much processed foods, no meal time portion control, and little to no exercise, which is a recipe for disaster. Constantly jacked into their devices, binge watching, and eating overly processed snack foods in the process doesn't help matters either.

Simple formula: Diet and Exercise. And when I say diet, I don't mean one of the past or latest fad diets pushed on us by that multi-billion dollar industry, I mean eat more foods that are from the source (whole foods, no processed foods); fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, nuts, grains, etc. And portion control; don't overeat at meal time.

Still counting...

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2017, 10:40 MajorD

Bummer Blue. I hope you're feeling better sooner than later.

Still counting...

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo