Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Fortnite Battle Royale Boasts 10M Players

Epic offers an infographic celebrating the success of Fortnite's Battle Royale mode. They reveal this free game mode has surpassed 10 million users in just two weeks, noting this equals the entire population of Sweden. They include some other numbers generated by the mode since launch, saying more than 44 million hours have been played and add vital details like the number of traps found, the number of umbrellas earned, and the number of Patrick "Bodhi" Swayze jumps performed by players. Thanks GameSpot.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Boasts 10M Players Oct 17, 2017, 16:53 Dacron

Doubt anyone will see this but the PSU finally kicked the bucket. $50 later, and I can play games with no worry again!  
Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Boasts 10M Players Oct 13, 2017, 15:42 Sepharo

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 13:55:
Darks wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 08:24:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 12, 2017, 20:26:
Dacron wrote on Oct 12, 2017, 14:10:

...need a new psu my pc shuts down after 15 minutes of gaming
I'm curious as to how you narrowed it down to the psu.

I've seen this type of behavior in the past. and yea, it was related to the psu when you put to much load on it. Its either over heating and shuts down, or its just a bad capacitor or other component thats causes it to shut down the power to the psu.

It could also be a filthy case full of dust bunnies (maybe just blowing out the case and psu would help) or a cpu cooler so covered in cat hair that you can't see the fins. The gpu radiator could also be full of dirt or the gpu could be failing.
I troubleshoot computer issues like this for a living, that's why I asked.

Yep I had this exact issue. Bottom mounted power supply got all gunked up with dust. I concentrated all my triage efforts on video cards and other more common fans. Totally forgot that a power supply can overheat and safeguard shutdown as well.

19. Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Boasts 10M Players Oct 13, 2017, 13:55 RedEye9

I've seen this type of behavior in the past. and yea, it was related to the psu when you put to much load on it. Its either over heating and shuts down, or its just a bad capacitor or other component thats causes it to shut down the power to the psu.

It could also be a filthy case full of dust bunnies (maybe just blowing out the case and psu would help) or a cpu cooler so covered in cat hair that you can't see the fins. The gpu radiator could also be full of dirt or the gpu could be failing.
I troubleshoot computer issues like this for a living, that's why I asked.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

18. Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Boasts 10M Players Oct 13, 2017, 09:18 Retired

Have you tried a program similar to Afterburner to look and see what is going on graphically?

17. Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Boasts 10M Players Oct 13, 2017, 08:24 Darks

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

16. Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Boasts 10M Players Oct 12, 2017, 20:26 RedEye9

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

15. Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Boasts 10M Players Oct 12, 2017, 20:20 Creston

But watching the final 2-4 guys go at it in a very small circle? It becomes insane for frenetic building and action. Guys building staircases up mountains, up building or into the air to flank, great big towers or mazes of walls - all while being shot at. A blast.

Yeah that sounds very cool.

14. Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Boasts 10M Players Oct 12, 2017, 18:30 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Oct 12, 2017, 17:56:
Someone on another site said they believe this, because there are probably far more fans of a more casual experience than of whatever PUBG is. That Fortnite is short rounds that are a blast while PUBG is long rounds that are tense. That newbies can immediately start getting some kills in Fortnite but it probably takes several before they get one in PUBG. That Fortnite is running around like a happy idiot while PUBG is scrounging for items, running, hiding, not moving much, and ultimately getting shot by someone you never even saw.

I haven't watched a single second of the new Fortnite mode, but I did watch one or two Let's Plays for PUBG (I hate watching people play games, so this is rare for me.) Basically, I wanted to confirm that this wasn't like Day Z, or whatever that zombie ARMA mod I bought and utterly hated was. And... this was pretty close to that. It actually was people mostly hiding and not moving and getting shot by someone they didn't see, and it looked miserable to play solo.

I like action games that focus on action, not tension. I'd hate PUBG. I don't have the patience to spend 20 minutes waiting for something to happen only to die without anything happening. Some people love this. But I'd wager there's a much larger audience like me than like them. Doesn't mean the style of game is better (or worse), just more accessible and more people would enjoy it.

PUBG doesn't really have long rounds, 30 minutes is usually the max. I played 6 or so rounds of Fortnite, it didn't feel much shorter but I recognize it's hard for me to track time like that in a game. In either game it's not really possible to sit for 20 minutes... that zone is going to shift and you're going to be out of bounds and taking damage. Certainly not much of a waiting game, you gotta be on the move to win. You could play it as a camper for sure if you want, but you're not going to get many kills and it would be very unlikely to win that way.

13. Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Boasts 10M Players Oct 12, 2017, 17:59 Osc8r

First match i ever played i won, with 6 kills.

Second match i got into the final four before getting insta-killed by a guy headshotting people through mountains.

Third match i got killed by the same guy, through a similar sized mountain.

Luckily things got a little better from there, though I wonder how many of those 10 million are script kiddies making new accounts with fake email addresses, or people playing with their partners on the OCE server and getting auto banned for 'teaming' before making two more accounts (rinse and repeat).

Quite an enjoyable, casual take on the BR genre and the building component and destructible structures makes for refreshing, faster paced gameplay, but it desperately needs some work (don't they all) and anti-cheat (let's hope battle eye helps - though i have my doubts when it takes 10 seconds to make a new account - f2p ftw!).

Also, where's the FOV settings? Besides the one switch in the ini that is...

They also really need to add OCE duo servers, i'd hazard a guess that they'd be much more popular than the squad servers here.

Oh, and i despise the pink/blue haze that makes it's way into every second match... it makes my eyes bleed even with post processing turned down.

/rant

Still waiting on a BR done in the frostbite engine by a AAA dev. Light sabres optional.

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2017, 18:23.

12. Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Boasts 10M Players Oct 12, 2017, 17:58 Dacron

Frijoles wrote on Oct 12, 2017, 17:49:
I made it to 2/100 by hiding for almost the entire map (the circle kept closing with me near the edge). Came out with full shield and health with 5 or so of us left. Killed a few people while the other guy built a large base, then I hid behind a tree until he came out (or destroyed my cover with rockets). I died shortly after. He was more prepared. I don't even know how to make traps. I had walls and stairs as an option. I wonder if I have to play the PvE part to unlock those.

Traps are found like weapons, at least that how I got mine. Can be placed in custom made structures or the ones found on the map already. Never got a kill with one though as the ones I found were loud (running electricity) so they were easy to avoid.

I find bush hiding to be useful. A bush covers a crouching model VERY well (I've been killed by a few that were 6 feet away).

11. Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Boasts 10M Players Oct 12, 2017, 17:56 Beamer

Someone on another site said they believe this, because there are probably far more fans of a more casual experience than of whatever PUBG is. That Fortnite is short rounds that are a blast while PUBG is long rounds that are tense. That newbies can immediately start getting some kills in Fortnite but it probably takes several before they get one in PUBG. That Fortnite is running around like a happy idiot while PUBG is scrounging for items, running, hiding, not moving much, and ultimately getting shot by someone you never even saw.

I haven't watched a single second of the new Fortnite mode, but I did watch one or two Let's Plays for PUBG (I hate watching people play games, so this is rare for me.) Basically, I wanted to confirm that this wasn't like Day Z, or whatever that zombie ARMA mod I bought and utterly hated was. And... this was pretty close to that. It actually was people mostly hiding and not moving and getting shot by someone they didn't see, and it looked miserable to play solo.

I like action games that focus on action, not tension. I'd hate PUBG. I don't have the patience to spend 20 minutes waiting for something to happen only to die without anything happening. Some people love this. But I'd wager there's a much larger audience like me than like them. Doesn't mean the style of game is better (or worse), just more accessible and more people would enjoy it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Boasts 10M Players Oct 12, 2017, 17:49 Frijoles

Best I've come in was 7/100 (need a new psu my pc shuts down after 15 minutes of gaming :(, was still alive at 7/100 lol), and the building portion is isn't as important then as you have lots of space, and anything being built is a beacon *A PLAYER IS HERE*.

I made it to 2/100 by hiding for almost the entire map (the circle kept closing with me near the edge). Came out with full shield and health with 5 or so of us left. Killed a few people while the other guy built a large base, then I hid behind a tree until he came out (or destroyed my cover with rockets). I died shortly after. He was more prepared. I don't even know how to make traps. I had walls and stairs as an option. I wonder if I have to play the PvE part to unlock those.

9. Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Boasts 10M Players Oct 12, 2017, 16:26 Sepharo

My favorite PUBG youtuber (not really interested in live streams), was just paid by Epic to put out another Fortnite video yesterday. He had only played the one at launch (which I believe was also sponsored). It's like he's only returning to play it if Epic pays him.  

8. Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Boasts 10M Players Oct 12, 2017, 15:44 Kxmode

Companies need to stop doing this. Boasting 10M players means nothing. What counts is how many of those 10M are active and concurrently active? Registration != active.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

7. Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Boasts 10M Players Oct 12, 2017, 14:52 Verno

As I said in the previous thread, still very doubtful of these numbers. Regardless they should put it on Steam at some point.  
Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

6. Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Boasts 10M Players Oct 12, 2017, 14:10 Dacron

Creston wrote on Oct 12, 2017, 12:58:
The Half Elf wrote on Oct 12, 2017, 11:00:
10 million people played in 2 weeks. Ok so it's also Free to play. So how many active players did it have at it's peak?

To be fair, I watched the trailer for it, and it looks pretty fun. Being able to build traps etc in a battle royale seems like a brilliant idea, because it's fun to turtle up against other players.

Best I've come in was 7/100 (need a new psu my pc shuts down after 15 minutes of gaming :(, was still alive at 7/100 lol), and the building portion is isn't as important then as you have lots of space, and anything being built is a beacon *A PLAYER IS HERE*.

But watching the final 2-4 guys go at it in a very small circle? It becomes insane for frenetic building and action. Guys building staircases up mountains, up building or into the air to flank, great big towers or mazes of walls - all while being shot at. A blast.

Might actually get me to try/buy PUBG when I replace my PSU.

5. Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Boasts 10M Players Oct 12, 2017, 13:10 HoSpanky

10 million people played in 2 weeks. Ok so it's also Free to play. So how many active players did it have at it's peak?

I was shocked that two people within 4 or 5 minutes popped up in chat saying they bought the pve game because of Battle Royale.

That’s two more people than I expected it to attract. The two modes are so wildly different that they’re only recognizable as the same game because of the art style.

4. Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Boasts 10M Players Oct 12, 2017, 12:58 Creston

10 million people for a grand total of 44 million hours. So most everyone just played it once, went "Meh", and then fired up PUBG again?

To be fair, I watched the trailer for it, and it looks pretty fun. Being able to build traps etc in a battle royale seems like a brilliant idea, because it's fun to turtle up against other players.

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2017, 13:25.

3. Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Boasts 10M Players Oct 12, 2017, 12:45 Retired

FREE GAMES HAS MILLIONS OF PLAYERS!

Monetize skins/hats in 3...2....1...

2. Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Boasts 10M Players Oct 12, 2017, 12:45 Darks

That's the Million dollar question. I don't buy into those numbers. Its defiantly inflated.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo