Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Control Creators Plan Unofficial Sequel

Two-man development team Toys for Bob celebrates the 25th anniversary of the release of Star Control II -- The Ur-Quan Masters by announcing they are "early, early in development" of a new spiritual successor to their Star Control series (thanks Gamasutra). This is an unofficial sequel, however, as Stardock now owns the rights to the series, and have their own Star Control game in the works. Here's word on the new project:

It was almost exactly 25 years ago that we released Star Control II® -- The Ur-Quan Masters for DOS PCs. We poured our hearts into the game, blending our love for classic science fiction, Spacewar!-style action gameplay and our own quirky sense of humor. We had tons of help from many talented friends and collaborators, but even so getting the game across the finish line was a herculean effort -- both the exciting, hydra-fighting kind, as well as the exhausting stable-cleaning kind. Pretty much ever since then, fans have been politely asking us to create a sequel, sometimes begging for a sequel, even threatening us if we don’t make a sequel. Our answer was always, “We really want to do this, we just need to wait until the time is right” -- kind of like Cthulhu awakening, but less end-of-the-worldy. Well, the stars have finally aligned -- we are now working on a direct sequel to Star Control II® -- The Ur-Quan Masters, called Ghosts of the Precursors™.

This is a passion project for us and we have committed to dedicating some of our own time to creating a true sequel. We are early, early in development, but rest assured, the game will include genuine Ur-Quan, Precursors, Super-Melee, Umgah, VUX, Supox, THE ULTRON!, Druuge, Arilou Lalee'lay, Orz, Androsynth, Rainbow Worlds, Ilwrath, Syreen, Mmrnmhrm, Yehat, Shofixti, Spathi (including the ever-terrified Fwiffo), Umgah, Melmorme, Chmmr, Earthlings, Mycon, THE MARK II!, Slylandro, Utwig, Thraddash, Zoq-Fot-Pik, VUX Beast, Pkunk, the Keel-Verezy, and of course all new alien races to discover, befriend ...and/or be annigilate... I mean annihigate.. Damn! Well, you get the idea.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Star Control Creators Plan Unofficial Sequel Oct 12, 2017, 09:05 Burrito of Peace

UQM is awesome. I play it at least once a year. Glad they have a Linux version so I can do so. There was an HD "remake" of UQM as well that is pretty awesome.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Star Control Creators Plan Unofficial Sequel Oct 12, 2017, 08:51 Dev

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 12, 2017, 06:51:
Oh cool! Thanks for the info, Dev!
No problemo. I'm a huge fan of star control, I love playing the free open source ur quan masters (remake of SC2), and especially love all the redone music by the original artists who did star control 2 music.

Just in case anyone here hasn't heard of that:
http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

8. Re: Star Control Creators Plan Unofficial Sequel Oct 12, 2017, 06:51 Burrito of Peace

Oh cool! Thanks for the info, Dev!  

7. Re: Star Control Creators Plan Unofficial Sequel Oct 12, 2017, 00:39 Numinar

Wow. Now I have 2 of these to look forward to for different reasons! A reboot and a continuation, oh my!

Though SC3 and MOO3 were my first taste of videogame heartbreak, so I wont get quite THAT excited. Ugh.
Making videogames is hard.

SC2 is still beyond amazing though. That nonsensical sexy female race with the dildo ships might not play so well with today's crowd but everything else about it has aged magnificently.

6. Re: Star Control Creators Plan Unofficial Sequel Oct 11, 2017, 22:03 Dev

And another public post from frogboy explaining more after the above announcement:
https://forums.starcontrol.com/485378

Four years ago Stardock acquired Atari's rights to Star Control. I soon got to meet my hero, Paul Reiche. He was, more than anyone else, the person who inspired me to become a game developer over 20 years ago.

Over the past 4 years, we have communicated regarding the progress of Star Control: Origins. He asked us not to try to make a sequel to Star Control 2 and said that he hoped one day to be able to return to the universe he and Fred Ford created.

Recently, Paul told me the good news: Activision was going to let him do a true sequel to Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters (i.e. Star Control III is not canon for that universe).

Today, they posted the news publicly: https://dogarandkazon.squarespace.com/

It's still very early but they will have all the characters from Star Control 2 plus new ones. It's going to be called Ghosts of the Precursors.

For 4 years, people asked me why we weren't going to touch the Star Control 2 story. Now you know.

And a further public post by frogboy in that thread:

Yea, we're pretty excited.

It doesn't affect Origins either way. What it does do, however, is help people better understand why we had agreed not to use the aliens. While Stardock does have a license to the setting, characters, etc. Paul had asked us not to use them to leave the door open for them to one day return. That was 4 years ago.

Now, those efforts have paid off.

5. Re: Star Control Creators Plan Unofficial Sequel Oct 11, 2017, 21:57 Dev

To further clarify the issue, here's a quote from a post by frogboy (where he stated it could be said to people outside the founders program, because a lot of star control stuff is under NDA for anyone in founder's program, which I'm a member of):

But yes, it can be said that Stardock has rights to use the aliens but chose not to because Paul and Fred have stated they intend to return to the Ur-Quan timeline and do a proper sc2 sequel someday even if it is a side thing they do.

4. Re: Star Control Creators Plan Unofficial Sequel Oct 11, 2017, 21:48 Dev

Or... just get it from the horses mouth from this public FAQ:
https://forums.starcontrol.com/463278

A: Back in the day, Accolade and later Atari became owner of the trademark and publishing rights for the original Star Control series. Stardock along with Paul and Fred all agree that the aliens and story elements of the classic Star Control series belongs to them.

Q: Will Toys for Bob be involved in the new Star Control series?

A: Maybe but probably not. Toys for Bob was acquired by Activision and is currently working on the Skylanders series. However, Paul and Fred have both expressed a desire to return to Star Control in the future.

Q: How does Stardock plan to do a new Star Control series without the original story and aliens?

A: The new Star Control will be a reboot with a new story and new aliens. The classic Star Control series (or at least, 1 and 2 which are what we consider as canon) will be preserved as the Ur-Quan continuity. This way, if/when Paul and Fred can return to the Ur-Quan universe, we can not only help ensure it is preserved but also make sure a new generation of gamers becomes aware of their magnificient creation.

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 2017, 22:04.

3. Re: Star Control Creators Plan Unofficial Sequel Oct 11, 2017, 21:38 Task

Let both teams have it. More interesting that way.  

MekPak Variants Mod - BattleTech Beta

2. Re: Star Control Creators Plan Unofficial Sequel Oct 11, 2017, 21:26 Orogogus

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 21:12:
I have more faith in this than I do Stardock's efforts and I am sure that this is going to get shutdown fast unless they are basing it on the 3D0 version that was open sourced a long time ago.

It's really not clear to me what rights Stardock had purchased, aside from the name itself. Early articles indicated they don't have the rights to the aliens, which is, like, the whole Star Control thing, but in any case the Gamasutra article says Stardock has no issue with this project. Looking forward to it!

1. Re: Star Control Creators Plan Unofficial Sequel Oct 11, 2017, 21:12 Burrito of Peace

I have more faith in this than I do Stardock's efforts and I am sure that this is going to get shutdown fast unless they are basing it on the 3D0 version that was open sourced a long time ago.  

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo