Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc., etc.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: etc., etc. Oct 11, 2017, 15:31 Verno

Hollywood was doing respectable action movies for a long time with stunt doubles and choreography. I don't think they suddenly became too difficult to make, if anything a lot of the difficulty is eased with the advances in green screening and sound stages, that's without getting into how much post work is done in the edit room or by third parties now. I don't think action sequences need to be one take to be enjoyable or something either. There's a middle ground between hyper frenzy jump cut syndrome and one ponderous take with the actors face clearly visible at all times.

I am happy to see that some older style action movies are making a return. I was getting pretty bored with all of the watered down comic book style stuff.

Now if someone would please get DC and Marvel to stop putting in silly giant sky light beam sequences into everything I can die a happy man

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: etc., etc. Oct 11, 2017, 15:08 Nullity

ItBurn wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 14:53:
All is not lost, though. In the last few years, some of the best action movies of all time have come out. Practical effects, long takes, violence and actors doing their own stunts.

Yeah, Daredevil on Netflix has some of the best examples of single shot action sequences. The first time I watched that hallway fight at the end of the second episode of season 1, I felt like I was in shock over how amazing and well done it was. Some of the other Netflix Marvel shows have had decent luck with this as well, but not quite up to the same level as Daredevil, in my opinion.

See John Wick and Atomic Blonde for other good recent examples.

ItBurn wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 14:55:
Bonus related video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCKhktcbfQM
Wow, that was awful. But Liam Neesons is still my shit.

11. Re: etc., etc. Oct 11, 2017, 14:55 ItBurn

ItBurn wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 14:53:
Verno wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 14:40:
Fast cuts are a symptom of both poor direction and the proliferation of PG13 movies. Hollywood always wants bigger office hauls through as wide an audience as possible which is code for PG-13. So you end up with watered down bullshit like most Marvel movies where fast cuts and jumps are inserted with sound effects to take the place of actual violence. They might as well go one step further and just insert some bubble captioned BAM POW OOF.

I don't know why imagined violence is somehow better than depicted violence but it makes Disney a lot of money so they keep doing it. Personally I think showing people some moderate respresentation of impact is probably better in the long run than showing kids that people can just punch each other through walls without any blood. But perhaps I'm not giving kids enough credit, I don't know. Either way I like my violence in movies, please stop fast cutting everything. Deadpool was so refreshing.

In my opinion(I also heard this from filmmakers...), fast cuts are done because doing real action is very hard. One, it's hard to direct and requires significantly more time to do single shots that depict the action sequence well. Two, most action actors aren't capable of doing what their characters do and it's also too risky for them to do it because if something were to happen to them, hundreds of jobs would be in jeopardy. Cutting constantly is much safer as the actor doesn't actually have to "really" do the stunt.

All is not lost, though. In the last few years, some of the best action movies of all time have come out. Practical effects, long takes, violence and actors doing their own stunts.

Bonus related video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCKhktcbfQM

10. Re: etc., etc. Oct 11, 2017, 14:53 ItBurn

Verno wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 14:40:
Fast cuts are a symptom of both poor direction and the proliferation of PG13 movies. Hollywood always wants bigger office hauls through as wide an audience as possible which is code for PG-13. So you end up with watered down bullshit like most Marvel movies where fast cuts and jumps are inserted with sound effects to take the place of actual violence. They might as well go one step further and just insert some bubble captioned BAM POW OOF.

I don't know why imagined violence is somehow better than depicted violence but it makes Disney a lot of money so they keep doing it. Personally I think showing people some moderate respresentation of impact is probably better in the long run than showing kids that people can just punch each other through walls without any blood. But perhaps I'm not giving kids enough credit, I don't know. Either way I like my violence in movies, please stop fast cutting everything. Deadpool was so refreshing.

In my opinion(I also heard this from filmmakers...), fast cuts are done because doing real action is very hard. One, it's hard to direct and requires significantly more time to do single shots that depict the action sequence well. Two, most action actors aren't capable of doing what their characters do and it's also too risky for them to do it because if something were to happen to them, hundreds of jobs would be in jeopardy. Cutting constantly is much safer as the actor doesn't actually have to "really" do the stunt.

9. Re: etc., etc. Oct 11, 2017, 14:40 Verno

8. Re: etc., etc. Oct 11, 2017, 13:46 Nullity

Verno wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 13:21:
Sometimes pet peeves ruin it for me too, for example I hate shaky-cam and can't watch flicks with a lot of it. It's a sloppy editing cover-up for poor direction. Does that mean I'm being demanding of movies? I don't know but it means I can't enjoy that movie.
Ugh, I definitely agree with this. The shaky-cam shenanigans are generally a pet peeve of mine as well. Especially when combined with fast cuts, which seems to be a majority of the time.

7. Re: etc., etc. Oct 11, 2017, 13:21 Verno

Nullity wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 12:32:
It seems like there are a lot of people who expect every movie they watch to be some groundbreaking movie-of-the-year contender. There's nothing wrong with simple fun popcorn flicks sometimes (this is more of a general statement, not necessarily specific to this movie).

Everyone has different standards. I don't expect every flick to be an Oscar winner but when its written for a 14 year old then it makes it tough for me to enjoy. I'm speaking generally too, not specifically about this. Sometimes pet peeves ruin it for me too, for example I hate shaky-cam and can't watch flicks with a lot of it. It's a sloppy editing cover-up for poor direction. Does that mean I'm being demanding of movies? I don't know but it means I can't enjoy that movie.

6. Re: etc., etc. Oct 11, 2017, 12:32 Nullity

Maybe it was due to my low expectations going in, but I actually thought Assassins Creed was fairly decent. Sure, I don't think it should win any awards, but it was entertaining.

It seems like there are a lot of people who expect every movie they watch to be some groundbreaking movie-of-the-year contender. There's nothing wrong with simple fun popcorn flicks sometimes (this is more of a general statement, not necessarily specific to this movie).

I also agree that they should have spent more time in the past, and that it would have worked better in a longer TV-like format.

5. Re: etc., etc. Oct 11, 2017, 09:05 Verno

The dialogue was cringe worthy at best and I'm not a big fan of Marion Cotillard, she seems to play the same flat character in every movie I've seen.  

4. Re: etc., etc. Oct 11, 2017, 01:56 Suppa7

NKD wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 23:29:
Assassin's Creed, along with most video games, is TV series material, not movie material. Needs a longer form to really make it work.

One of the most insightful comments I've read in a while.

3. Re: etc., etc. Oct 10, 2017, 23:29 NKD

Too much time in the movie spent on Present Day, and too much material crammed into the script to do it any justice.

Assassin's Creed, along with most video games, is TV series material, not movie material. Needs a longer form to really make it work.

The solution to the toxicity of identity politics surely isn't to add white identity politics to the mix.

2. Re: etc., etc. Oct 10, 2017, 23:10 ItBurn

The script was absolute garbage and it should have been obvious to anyone who signed up on it. It blows my mind.  

1. Re: etc., etc. Oct 10, 2017, 22:42 Creston

Because it was a bad movie?  

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo