Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: Battlefront II Beta Extended

EA tweets that the open beta for Star Wars: Battlefront II that began on Friday is being extended for two days. Now they say the plan is to wrap things up tomorrow: "The #StarWarsBattlefrontII Beta has been extended two more days! Play until Wednesday, October 11." They don't say why they decided to expand the scope of the beta, though at least one interesting theory is floating around (thanks Ant).

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Beta Extended Oct 11, 2017, 20:01 Retired

Was excited about this but no time to play. After being very let down on the first one - I don't see a need to buy this one.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Beta Extended Oct 10, 2017, 20:14 Slick

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 19:03:
We know EXACTLY how it will shake out, same as EVERY OTHER GAME TO DATE THAT IS PAY TO WIN/GET STUFF. You got money to burn you can buy all the top end cards, just like all the really fucking cool skins in Overwatch.

TL DR; Convenience shortcuts does not equal pay-to-win.

No, 40% is like for missile lock-on reduction time etc. I don't need to google, I've played the game, and looked over all the card stats. Anything with actual DMG % increase is minimal, maxing out at 7-10%. Again, not too different from other games where you genuinely unlock BETTER guns the more you play.

Also, we do NOT know how this will shake out, as the beta cards/rarity/stats are quite explicitly stated to be for the BETA ONLY. We don't know how it will end up on launch.

And more importantly, we do NOT know if they're going to be selling supply crates for real money at launch. Speculating is just asinine. I already posted precedent that DICE has done this before, where you could pay for kit unlocks and vehicle unlocks for past Battlefield games, in each instance this was NOT active at launch, and only came about months into the game's cycle, as to give people who missed out at launch a chance to "catch up" if they wanted to pay for convenience shortcuts.

Nothing you can buy with real money are items that aren't possible to get by just playing the game. As to how much it costs, when it launches, and how much gameplay time spending $1.00 on a pack gets you, we just have to wait and see. And then you guys can bitch about it then. Still this is not fundamentally different from kit/vehicle unlock packs in Battlefield games past, and the world simply did not end when that happened.

Convenience does not equal pay-to-win. Sorry, it doesn't. Pay-to-win means giving people who pay $$$ BETTER items than can be obtained by just playing the game. APB Reloaded's gold guns you could rent for a month, for instance, had BETTER stats than anything you could find in-game by just playing, THAT is pay-to-win.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

20. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Beta Extended Oct 10, 2017, 19:27 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 17:22:

3) Still, all of this counterbalances the fact that there is no "premium", no season pass for this game. All post-launch content is free for everyone who buys the base game. At the very least include this in your calculus about how greedy/evil EA is...

This is a good point, thanks.

Stay a while, and listen.

19. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Beta Extended Oct 10, 2017, 19:03 The Half Elf

Slick wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 17:22:
1) so far the loot boxes don't do much, you can't complain that someone has a +7% dmg modifier. It will scale beyond that on launch, but if you're mad at someone having a +7% dmg increase on you, you'd be just as mad in any Battlefield game when someone has unlocked a better gun than you that kills 7% faster.

2) We don't know how the card packs will shake out on launch. We don't even know if they'll be purchasable on launch with real money. These are known unknowns, and not worth getting your panties in a twist over. I think it's entirely plausible that they launch without being able to buy card packs with real money, and add it a month or two down the road, JUST like they did with the gun and vehicle unlock packs from the past few Battlefield games. Which I do recall not being the end of the world.

3) Still, all of this counterbalances the fact that there is no "premium", no season pass for this game. All post-launch content is free for everyone who buys the base game. At the very least include this in your calculus about how greedy/evil EA is...

Um dude... some of those cards go up to 40% Go google, the shit is UNREAL.

We know EXACTLY how it will shake out, same as EVERY OTHER GAME TO DATE THAT IS PAY TO WIN/GET STUFF. You got money to burn you can buy all the top end cards, just like all the really fucking cool skins in Overwatch.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

18. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Beta Extended Oct 10, 2017, 18:22 DangerDog

Yoda fighting with light saber is the lamest thing they ever put into Star Wars, thanks for the reminder though. Like you ever see the Emperor fighting with a light saber psssh Dark Side rules!

17. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Beta Extended Oct 10, 2017, 17:27 Slick

Anyways, sticking to the game itself, I find it very fun, but these 3 maps are starting to get boring to me. I'm definitely psyched for more content. I can't wait to get to be Yoda jumping around like a Mexican jumping bean w/ lightsaber.

I tried playing it on my PS4 to see if I'd wanna get this for my incoming xbonex... And the gameplay is just so much less intense on console. I mean, the first thought it "I'll be gimped, but so will everyone else, so it will be balanced". The problem is it's a lot less FUN to play against people who are all using the controller. People just move and approach things slower, take less risks, the lack of fine control means the overall intensity of the game is just slower.

Even if I got really good at using a controller, it would be overall less fun, as my opponents would just be more boring to play against. Even if I could own them easier, it ended up feeling more boring to me... I guess I'm just a sucker for the intensity that only comes with PC gaming and a proper challenge.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

16. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Beta Extended Oct 10, 2017, 17:22 Slick

1) so far the loot boxes don't do much, you can't complain that someone has a +7% dmg modifier. It will scale beyond that on launch, but if you're mad at someone having a +7% dmg increase on you, you'd be just as mad in any Battlefield game when someone has unlocked a better gun than you that kills 7% faster.

2) We don't know how the card packs will shake out on launch. We don't even know if they'll be purchasable on launch with real money. These are known unknowns, and not worth getting your panties in a twist over. I think it's entirely plausible that they launch without being able to buy card packs with real money, and add it a month or two down the road, JUST like they did with the gun and vehicle unlock packs from the past few Battlefield games. Which I do recall not being the end of the world.

15. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Beta Extended Oct 10, 2017, 17:22 thecakeisalie

Gameplay more like like Call of Duty than Battlefront (original). Lots of pew pew pew pew pew. Little depth. Horrific pay-to-win microtransaction gambling boxes as bad as you see in the more shifty Free-to-Play games. No thanks. It'll be as dead as the first one within a few months.  

14. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Beta Extended Oct 10, 2017, 17:04 Osc8r

5 hours was more than plenty, but thanks for the offer.  

13. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Beta Extended Oct 10, 2017, 16:30 loomy

it's weird how a game like heroes of the storm is free and sells loot boxes that only have cosmetics, but battlefront is super expensive and sells loot boxes with player buffs. highly irregular  

12. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Oct 10, 2017, 16:29 DangerDog

Shineyguy wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 15:32:
I'm a long time Battlefield player. Battlefront (2015) and Battlefront II (2017) are so dumbed down that it's laughable.

They want to make these Star Wars games more "accessible" and the experience cinematic. I remember with Battlefront 2015 they were really trying to stress the point that DICE isn't just about Battlefield and that they could design games that weren't just a re-skin job. Did nothing to stop people from calling it Battlefield with Star Wars skins.

It's kind of funny because the original Battlefront games were definitely trying to be Battlefield-like with Star Wars theme.

There's no sandbox mode here, and the "Galactic Assault" maps will probably be somehow stitched together in some form of Galactic Conquest mode at a later date.

They'll still print money with this, hype over the new movie alone will net them millions of copies sold.

11. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Beta Extended Oct 10, 2017, 15:40 UttiniDaKilrJawa

Went to check it out. After downloading on XB1 spent 20 minutes to figure out how to get past the EULA (had to completely power down XB1). Tried the solo mission and was dissappointed in the fact it had some serious frame rate issues for me, lotta freeze frame every 10-15 feet. Then tried the multiplayer space battles. Didnít like the ship controls so went to options to change them. Changed them a few times only to realize the changes the option menu said it was making werenít actually carrying into the game. So, after a few matches of a lot of ship crashing I decided to pack it up. Later, decided to check the multiplayer soldier battles only to have BF2 not recognize the controller I just played with previously. Disconnected/reconnected controller a few times to no avail and then just uninstalled the game. Definitely wonít be touching this anytime soon.  

10. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Oct 10, 2017, 15:32 Shineyguy

I'm a long time Battlefield player. Battlefront (2015) and Battlefront II (2017) are so dumbed down that it's laughable.

BF2015 had, maybe, 10 hours of play in it, only had 4 maps, and two game modes. Limited character selection, and these "cards" that you used to customize your character in two or 4 different ways.

Also, add that you can only pair up with a friend, no parties beyond 2 people (which is, maybe, 4? now?) means that it was next to impossible to get into a game with more friends. I regularly play with at least 5 more people, upwards of 10 so that makes this game untenable in terms of group play.

No server browser.

Overall, there just isn't much variety to the gameplay like there is in Battlefield. Battlefront SHOULD be just a Star Wars Battlefield, if it were it would be so much better. But instead we keep getting this watered down shit.

9. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Beta Extended Oct 10, 2017, 15:02 jamiedj99

loaded up the game looks nice. Sat and waiting for 20 min for 8 people to join the number jumped up and down. got in and got killed by someone with +4 rank cards over and over because they opened a shit tone of boxes. YEah for battlefront 2 pay to win game. I just may sit this one and pretty much all future EA games with this model  

8. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Beta Extended Oct 10, 2017, 13:15 Bumpy

Shineyguy wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 09:51:
Cancelled my pre-order.

I'm pretty much fanboy anything for a Star Wars game, but after the disappointment with the first, and playing the beta here of the second, I can't recommend this game to any of my friends.

Care to expand on this?

7. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Beta Extended Oct 10, 2017, 12:47 SpectralMeat

I did like the beta as well.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

6. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Beta Extended Oct 10, 2017, 12:28 Gib007

Played Beta. Loved it. Pre-ordered.  

5. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Beta Extended Oct 10, 2017, 12:10 Creston

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 11:19:
And people thought the Shadow of War loot boxes were bad, the ones Battlefront II has are fucking insane.

Yeah I didn't pay any attention to them in the few matches that I played, but it's truly crazy how pay to win it is. Skipped.

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 2017, 12:23.

4. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Beta Extended Oct 10, 2017, 11:19 Ozmodan

After finding out how much pay-to-win it is with the loot boxes and how disappointing the first one was, just going to skip this game.  

3. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Beta Extended Oct 10, 2017, 11:19 The Half Elf

And people thought the Shadow of War loot boxes were bad, the ones Battlefront II has are fucking insane.  

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo