Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2017, 20:38 The Half Elf

jdreyer wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 14:32:
Verno wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 13:42:
I like Windows 10. Like every version of Windows ever, I just turn off the things I don't like. Every version of Windows has had its problems and issues. I remember when people here were proclaiming Windows 7 as the worst thing ever, funny how times have changed.

Huh, that's not what I remember. I recall article after article about how much better it was than fucking Vista and that MS had learned its lesson.

It's always been every OTHER version of windows. Vista, Win 8. Only thing I remember about 7 was everyone was freaking out about drivers.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2017, 17:46 NKD

Bodolza wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 16:59:
No it hasn't. Windows 10 is a major step backwards from Windows 7 both in terms of UI and privacy.

I prefer Windows 10 UI and I don't have any privacy in either OS since the vast majority of the data collected on me is not done by my OS, but rather my usage of the Internet.

Some technical data sent to MS that is probably only ever viewed in aggregate statistical form is the very least of my worries.

The solution to the toxicity of identity politics surely isn't to add white identity politics to the mix.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2017, 17:33 jdreyer

Bodolza wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 16:59:
NKD wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 15:15:
every version of Windows has been an overall improvement.

No it hasn't. Windows 10 is a major step backwards from Windows 7 both in terms of UI and privacy. The under-the-hood changes were minor, and could have been done in a Windows 7 service pack, like they're doing with the "Creators Updates" now. The only reason to upgrade to 10 is that Microsoft is basically forcing you too by intentionally breaking or limiting functionality in 7.

Dude, you totally forgot Windows 8 and 8.1.

Stay a while, and listen.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2017, 16:59 Bodolza

NKD wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 15:15:
every version of Windows has been an overall improvement.

No it hasn't. Windows 10 is a major step backwards from Windows 7 both in terms of UI and privacy. The under-the-hood changes were minor, and could have been done in a Windows 7 service pack, like they're doing with the "Creators Updates" now. The only reason to upgrade to 10 is that Microsoft is basically forcing you too by intentionally breaking or limiting functionality in 7.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2017, 15:15 NKD

Honestly I've never understood the drama surrounding Windows and how strongly people get invested in fighting over what versions are good and bad. It's worse than asking about someones favorite Star Trek movie or Final Fantasy game. Aside from ME and the pre-SP1 Vista, every version of Windows has been an overall improvement.

I guess it's just a version of the narcissism of small differences. The product is essentially the same thing (on the surface) for over 20 years so every small difference becomes a huge controversy. Combined with the fact that most of the important improvements are under the hood, I suppose it's to be expected.

Still waiting for MS to lock down the platform like they were supposed to do 16 years ago on WinXP, according to people here and elsewhere. Remember when WinXP was going to delete all your MP3s?

The solution to the toxicity of identity politics surely isn't to add white identity politics to the mix.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2017, 15:12 Beamer

I like Windows 10. Like every version of Windows ever, I just turn off the things I don't like. Every version of Windows has had its problems and issues. I remember when people here were proclaiming Windows 7 as the worst thing ever, funny how times have changed.

Huh, that's not what I remember. I recall article after article about how much better it was than fucking Vista and that MS had learned its lesson.

Yeah, I remember people adoring Windows 7, too.
That said, I really like Windows 10. The only thing I don't like about it is the new way they did the Control Panel. But whatever that bar in the bottom right is called does make some things easier, even if I really just use it for BlueTooth.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2017, 15:11 Verno

People on the forum, not news articles. Users here hate change was my point.

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2017, 15:11 MajorD

Yeah, because Groove is better. Rolleyes Another thoughtless move by MS. At least it is still there to be installed if you want it.

Still counting...

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2017, 14:32 jdreyer

Stay a while, and listen.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2017, 13:42 Verno

People say the data collection stuff has worrisome implications but not for me (I turn it off) and not for the nebulous Everyday User who simply doesn't care in the first place. I'm way more worried about what Google has on me. I get fucking survey offers for a store a minute after I leave it sometimes haha.

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2017, 13:32 RedEye9

Microsoft never ceases to amaze. But at least the OS was free and haz the dxtwelves.  

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2017, 11:52 WaltC

Timmeh wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 10:44:
We seriously need an complete main stream replacement for Microsoft. They have gone completely wacko out of control with windows 10 and the mandatory and predatory updates.

Nah, Media Player is still in 1709...It can be found in Control Panel/Programs & Features/Turn Windows Programs On or Off/Media Features/Windows Media Player. (Or you can follow the steps listed in the article to find it.) All they've done is make installing/uninstalling Media Player much simpler than it used to be. People get so confused when they simply move a few controls around, for some reason. I have no idea where the author got the idea Microsoft was dropping Media Player, though. I imagine they haven't announced dropping it because they aren't.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet...;) A lot of it is highly misleading.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2017, 10:44 Timmeh

We seriously need an complete main stream replacement for Microsoft. They have gone completely wacko out of control with windows 10 and the mandatory and predatory updates.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo