Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Half of the universe's missing normal matter has been found Oct 11, 2017, 16:40 Mr. Tact

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 16:12:
Or if the Dark Matter/Dark Energy hypotheses get conclusively disproved, how amazing will that be!? It's really very interesting to me; now if only humanity can get its act together and not wipe itself out before we start solving some of the universe's mysteries...
That seems unlikely considering the nature of the evidence we have for Dark Matter and Dark Energy. We only know of their existence based on observational data, which in both cases was unforeseen and totally unexpected. It would be one thing if we went looking for X and found it. But in both cases we went looking for X and found the opposite of X.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Half of the universe's missing normal matter has been found Oct 11, 2017, 16:12 MoreLuckThanSkill

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 08:44:
Modern cosmology is so weird. 68% of the universe is Dark Energy, 27% is Dark Matter, and half of the remaining 5% of "normal" matter -- we couldn't see until now. So, prior to this confirmation, we knew for certain what 2.5% of the universe is and where it was...

I considered astronomy as a career when I was a kid, but never pursued it. Too bad, the last 30 years was a great time to be in the field.

Yes, it's really a very interesting time for Astronomy, historically speaking. Just keep in mind, Dark Energy/Dark Matter are really 'placeholder' explanations though, for observations that require a lot more energy/mass to be floating around, that we cannot (yet) detect.

I'm hoping to get to read about some great discoveries and revelations about Dark Matter before I die... whichever team makes a breakthrough there is really going to achieve something monumental. A massive achievement, some might say.

Or if the Dark Matter/Dark Energy hypotheses get conclusively disproved, how amazing will that be!? It's really very interesting to me; now if only humanity can get its act together and not wipe itself out before we start solving some of the universe's mysteries...

17. Re: Half of the universe's missing normal matter has been found Oct 11, 2017, 08:44 Mr. Tact

Modern cosmology is so weird. 68% of the universe is Dark Energy, 27% is Dark Matter, and half of the remaining 5% of "normal" matter -- we couldn't see until now. So, prior to this confirmation, we knew for certain what 2.5% of the universe is and where it was...

I considered astronomy as a career when I was a kid, but never pursued it. Too bad, the last 30 years was a great time to be in the field.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2017, 08:01 Killes

A lot of mental issues though would do best in being treated at the root instead of the individual, symptom vs cause.

There are mental "diseases" in the way of more classic disease but a lot of mental health "issues" are spawned from society.

Mainly from the lack of decent education/environment provided to citizens, the poor being way more affected but not only.

Church and state non-separation, corruption, bullying/favoritism etc etc, its a heady mix especially down there in USA...and then they want to blame guns for the shootings, if only it were so simple

And of course the simple perpetration of abuse passed down from generation to generation.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2017, 23:43 1badmf

so no one else wanted to puke after that sophomoric melodramafest of a trailer?  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2017, 16:55 Cutter

I know JD is kidding. Seriously though, there's no shortage of studies that prove unequivocally that preventative maintenance is always the best and most cost-effective way of managing all aspects related to health. Tax all the bad stuff and use it to subsidize the good stuff and it would all work so much better. But we know that would make sense....

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2017, 15:31 Mordecai Walfish

As far as I'm concerned, every day is mental health awareness day in the country I live in right now (USA). Whether considering my own mental health or the mental health of the raving band of dipshits who are in office currently, it's been a daily topic for a long while now. When most of the country gets its regular "counseling" from our diseased media outlets or various religious organizations (which, admittedly are not all completely terrible), we are in some seriously difficult times in this country right now. Cheers to those that are trying to stay sane, and help others do the same, in whatever (hopefully healthy) ways you can.  

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2017, 15:21 Peter M. Smith

jdreyer wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 14:15:
At least there is no snow planet.

Uhh...Snowtroopers and an ice fox would like to have a word with you.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2017, 15:13 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 14:51:
SimplyMonk wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 14:34:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 14:13:
You know Cutter, if you want cheaper treatment for your condition, ranting at Blues probably won't do the trick.

Hey, Cutter is saying some sane and sensible stuff for a change. Berating him for it is just going to condition him to do otherwise.

Yeah, he knows I'm kidding.

On a more serious note, since Trudeau withdrew from the F-35 program, maybe they can redirect some of that savings toward mental health treatment.
What's he want, dental and mental combined? Sounds cool to me since they are both located in the same area. Maybe they should toss in allergy and optical while they are up there.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2017, 15:09 Wallshadows

jdreyer wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 14:51:
On a more serious note, since Trudeau withdrew from the F-35 program, maybe they can redirect some of that savings toward mental health treatment.

You mean more than just listening to celebrities pat themselves on the back a couple of times a year like it's some kind of wardrobe malfunction?

You actually want something done about it?

Outrageous!

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2017, 14:51 jdreyer

SimplyMonk wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 14:34:
You know Cutter, if you want cheaper treatment for your condition, ranting at Blues probably won't do the trick.

Hey, Cutter is saying some sane and sensible stuff for a change. Berating him for it is just going to condition him to do otherwise.

Yeah, he knows I'm kidding.

Stay a while, and listen.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2017, 14:34 SimplyMonk

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2017, 14:29 Wallshadows

I put my foot through a scanner which decided to shit the bed RIGHT before I had to send off one of the most important documents I've ever had so I've been having one hell of a mental health kind of day ever since.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2017, 14:23 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 14:15:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 13:51:
That Star Wars trailer though.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

I wasn't disappointed. Quite the contrary!

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2017, 14:15 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 13:51:

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2017, 14:13 jdreyer

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2017, 13:51 Kxmode

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2017, 12:08 Cutter

Yeah, well it's way past time for governments to do more about mental health than just pay lip service to it. Treatment for the vast majority of people remains well out of reach because of costs. And the catch-22 is that shrinks have to charge so much because there are no subsidies. So everyone just ends up getting hooked on pills and nothing really gets fixed. Yet, study after study shows that in good socialized democracies where people have access to both basic mental health and dental that medical costs plummet. Point in fact I just read a paper that in Ontario alone that every hospital - and we're talking dozens of them - cost the taxpayers 7 million dollars per year because of people coming to the hospitals for either mental health or dental issues. 7 million bucks per hospital per year. And you can bet that's played out more or less the same everywhere else that's in a similar boat. If that money were used correctly - preventative - it would only cost 1/4 of that. A perfect example of throwing good money after bad.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2017, 11:01 Capella

Hey sorry I missed the big news yesterday but a huge Thank you! to you for all you do and everyone that works to keep this the best site on the Net. In a world full of change this is my one anchor to be the same. I hope I am around another 21 years to enjoy it.  

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo