Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video

A new(ish) video from Psychonauts 2 offers the first look at the platformer sequel in action (thanks GamesRadar+). The clip is hosted by Tim Schafer and Zak McClendon, who explain what we are seeing here. Word is: "Welcome to another project update for the excellent game Psychonauts 2, work on which you’ll be glad to know is still going strong. Very strong in fact, as we just completed an important milestone that we call our “first playable” and we’d like you to see it!"

View
7. Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video Oct 9, 2017, 01:27 PacoTaco

Did you review the art test they had before this? If you compare the two movies did this movie take a step back or forward?

B team putting out a C+ product so far, but I give everyone many chances I hope to see improvement next round.

Jerykk wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 20:13:
Speak for yourself. I've been in game development for years.

I'm not sure why you'd expect final assets for anything within the first year of development. Assets aren't finalized until alpha at the earliest. This isn't even pre-alpha yet. Most of the first year is spent on writing, paper design, gameplay prototyping, concept art, storyboards, level blockouts, etc. In a platformer, finalizing the character's move set and traversal standards needs to happen first, then level designers block out the levels based on said standards, then artists make the levels pretty. Artists shouldn't be making final assets for anything until the first two steps are completed or else they'll have to redo a lot of work.

What I see in the video looks like first-pass art, which is appropriate because it is in fact first-pass art. Making final level art for a platformer before gameplay standards have been finalized would be idiotic. Also, the level takes place in a quarry so yes, there is a lot of grey. I wouldn't be too worried about the rest of the game's color palette.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Oct 7, 13:22 Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video PacoTaco
  3. Oct 7, 22:02  Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video Jerykk
  5. Oct 8, 07:01   Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video PacoTaco
  6. Oct 8, 20:13    Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video Jerykk
>> 7. Oct 9, 01:27     Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video PacoTaco
  8. Oct 9, 17:18      Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video Sepharo
  2. Oct 7, 15:35 Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video eRe4s3r
  4. Oct 8, 00:18 Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video Kxmode

footer

Blue's News logo