Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video

A new(ish) video from Psychonauts 2 offers the first look at the platformer sequel in action (thanks GamesRadar+). The clip is hosted by Tim Schafer and Zak McClendon, who explain what we are seeing here. Word is: "Welcome to another project update for the excellent game Psychonauts 2, work on which you’ll be glad to know is still going strong. Very strong in fact, as we just completed an important milestone that we call our “first playable” and we’d like you to see it!"

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video Oct 9, 2017, 17:18 Sepharo

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video Oct 9, 2017, 01:27 PacoTaco

Did you review the art test they had before this? If you compare the two movies did this movie take a step back or forward?

B team putting out a C+ product so far, but I give everyone many chances I hope to see improvement next round.

Jerykk wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 20:13:
Speak for yourself. I've been in game development for years.

I'm not sure why you'd expect final assets for anything within the first year of development. Assets aren't finalized until alpha at the earliest. This isn't even pre-alpha yet. Most of the first year is spent on writing, paper design, gameplay prototyping, concept art, storyboards, level blockouts, etc. In a platformer, finalizing the character's move set and traversal standards needs to happen first, then level designers block out the levels based on said standards, then artists make the levels pretty. Artists shouldn't be making final assets for anything until the first two steps are completed or else they'll have to redo a lot of work.

What I see in the video looks like first-pass art, which is appropriate because it is in fact first-pass art. Making final level art for a platformer before gameplay standards have been finalized would be idiotic. Also, the level takes place in a quarry so yes, there is a lot of grey. I wouldn't be too worried about the rest of the game's color palette.

6. Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video Oct 8, 2017, 20:13 Jerykk

Speak for yourself. I've been in game development for years.

I'm not sure why you'd expect final assets for anything within the first year of development. Assets aren't finalized until alpha at the earliest. This isn't even pre-alpha yet. Most of the first year is spent on writing, paper design, gameplay prototyping, concept art, storyboards, level blockouts, etc. In a platformer, finalizing the character's move set and traversal standards needs to happen first, then level designers block out the levels based on said standards, then artists make the levels pretty. Artists shouldn't be making final assets for anything until the first two steps are completed or else they'll have to redo a lot of work.

What I see in the video looks like first-pass art, which is appropriate because it is in fact first-pass art. Making final level art for a platformer before gameplay standards have been finalized would be idiotic. Also, the level takes place in a quarry so yes, there is a lot of grey. I wouldn't be too worried about the rest of the game's color palette.

5. Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video Oct 8, 2017, 07:01 PacoTaco

I understand game dev better then you do. Trust me, much much much better then you do. :-)

The art test was a previous video you can find it on DF youtube channel. That art test video looked like a hard unpolished B.

This looks like a unpolished C, they had 12 months almost, not one moment in this latest video do you see any element finished. Feels like a step back from the Art test, and the character is still underwhelming compared to other Unreal 4 engine products.

I could break it down more but who cares either it will get better or it wont. Right now it looks worse then I expected with this much time to set the bar.

BTW if you are confused on the importance of a paper design for a level or the use of it, in no way does the paper design stop the art team from producing final assets. The concept art and theme drive asset creation not the paper design of the level. Once the the have theme and concept locked you spend more time to generate all the art element concepts, which can be handed to the modelers.

The paper design is a good start to a grey block of the level but in all my years no level has every been fun or worth playing if it followed the paper design with no grey block.

Anyway I hope they do well to recover from the slow start.

Jerykk wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 22:02:
PacoTaco wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 13:22:
Hard to tell by this video what where the final quality will land.

This work looks C+ including the character, right now the level is very grey but you can tell it has no final lighting, the objects look WIP.

Seems like after almost a year they would have a small section of a full level finished, not just the art test they showed before.

What they showed is going to be the main hub area of the game. It's not just an art test. Also, pre-production takes up the majority of the first year. That's where you finish the paper design and lay out the foundations before committing to full production of assets.

Really wish people had a better understanding of game development. I guess that's why devs are so hesitant to show anything that isn't basically finished.

4. Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video Oct 8, 2017, 00:18 Kxmode

I find their attempt at humor, headache inducing. They're not comedians; they're game developers. Drop the effort and just talk about their game.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

3. Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video Oct 7, 2017, 22:02 Jerykk

PacoTaco wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 13:22:

This work looks C+ including the character, right now the level is very grey but you can tell it has no final lighting, the objects look WIP.

Seems like after almost a year they would have a small section of a full level finished, not just the art test they showed before.

What they showed is going to be the main hub area of the game. It's not just an art test. Also, pre-production takes up the majority of the first year. That's where you finish the paper design and lay out the foundations before committing to full production of assets.

Really wish people had a better understanding of game development. I guess that's why devs are so hesitant to show anything that isn't basically finished.

2. Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video Oct 7, 2017, 15:35 eRe4s3r

Pre-Alpha means exactly that, as long as we get Psychonauts I don't care much about polish.  

1. Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video Oct 7, 2017, 13:22 PacoTaco

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo