Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video

A new(ish) video from Psychonauts 2 offers the first look at the platformer sequel in action (thanks GamesRadar+). The clip is hosted by Tim Schafer and Zak McClendon, who explain what we are seeing here. Word is: "Welcome to another project update for the excellent game Psychonauts 2, work on which you’ll be glad to know is still going strong. Very strong in fact, as we just completed an important milestone that we call our “first playable” and we’d like you to see it!"

View
5. Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video Oct 8, 2017, 07:01 PacoTaco

I understand game dev better then you do. Trust me, much much much better then you do. :-)

The art test was a previous video you can find it on DF youtube channel. That art test video looked like a hard unpolished B.

This looks like a unpolished C, they had 12 months almost, not one moment in this latest video do you see any element finished. Feels like a step back from the Art test, and the character is still underwhelming compared to other Unreal 4 engine products.

I could break it down more but who cares either it will get better or it wont. Right now it looks worse then I expected with this much time to set the bar.

BTW if you are confused on the importance of a paper design for a level or the use of it, in no way does the paper design stop the art team from producing final assets. The concept art and theme drive asset creation not the paper design of the level. Once the the have theme and concept locked you spend more time to generate all the art element concepts, which can be handed to the modelers.

The paper design is a good start to a grey block of the level but in all my years no level has every been fun or worth playing if it followed the paper design with no grey block.

Anyway I hope they do well to recover from the slow start.

Jerykk wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 22:02:
PacoTaco wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 13:22:
Hard to tell by this video what where the final quality will land.

This work looks C+ including the character, right now the level is very grey but you can tell it has no final lighting, the objects look WIP.

Seems like after almost a year they would have a small section of a full level finished, not just the art test they showed before.

What they showed is going to be the main hub area of the game. It's not just an art test. Also, pre-production takes up the majority of the first year. That's where you finish the paper design and lay out the foundations before committing to full production of assets.

Really wish people had a better understanding of game development. I guess that's why devs are so hesitant to show anything that isn't basically finished.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Oct 7, 13:22 Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video PacoTaco
  3. Oct 7, 22:02  Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video Jerykk
>> 5. Oct 8, 07:01   Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video PacoTaco
  6. Oct 8, 20:13    Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video Jerykk
  7. Oct 9, 01:27     Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video PacoTaco
  8. Oct 9, 17:18      Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video Sepharo
  2. Oct 7, 15:35 Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video eRe4s3r
  4. Oct 8, 00:18 Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video Kxmode

footer

Blue's News logo