Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

As it turns out it took several guys with ladders and all over five hours to clean the windows in the BlueTower. I did some calculations to try and determine how long it would have taken MrsBlue and I to accomplish this on our own, and the answer turns out to be infinity, though I should probably double-check my math. But it really is remarkable to see what a difference it makes... I didn't really consider the windows dirty before, so seeing how much better they are is eye-opening.

Open-eyed Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Doodle God Blitz.
Link: The deadly germ warfare island abandoned by the Soviets. Thanks RedEye9.
Story: US Traffic Deaths Rise for the Second Year in a Row.
Science: Zipper Merging in Traffic Seems Rude but Research Shows It Is the Best Approach. Thanks [H]ardOCP.
Why We Miss Objects That Are Right in Front of Us. Thanks j.c.f.
Researchers create a fast-sealing surgical 'glue' for closing wounds.
Media: James Veitch Is A Terrible Roommate.
When your dog mistakes the moon for a ball.
Almost impaled. WT actual F?

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2017, 14:06 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 18:03:
Yeah, switching gears for me takes no more "attention" than it does for you to apply the correct pressure to the gas pedal -- it really is essentially second nature to me. But more critically, if gives me more precise control of the engine than you get with an automatic.

I have on occasion, made that 11 mile round trip to get a mocha and used my brakes only when I park the car. At least a couple of times including managing to coast to a full stop (something I only do when there is very little traffic).

Yeah, I learned on a stick, and loved it for a while. But now that I'm older, glad to have an automatic, esp with all the traffic around here.

Stay a while, and listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2017, 18:03 Mr. Tact

Yeah, switching gears for me takes no more "attention" than it does for you to apply the correct pressure to the gas pedal -- it really is essentially second nature to me. But more critically, if gives me more precise control of the engine than you get with an automatic.

I have on occasion, made that 11 mile round trip to get a mocha and used my brakes only when I park the car. At least a couple of times including managing to coast to a full stop (something I only do when there is very little traffic).

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2017, 17:49 Rigs

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 16:58:
I was essentially forced into it, initially. My first car was provided to me by my parents, and at the time I could not refuse as I had no other choice. My dad bought me a $500 1968 VW bug, this was in 1980. So, I learned to drive a manual by necessity. These days, I've never had anything but manuals (minus about 12 months) and I handle it practically subconsciously. I have had more than one person comment on their first drive with me that they didn't realize it was a manual drive until either after the ride or when I was parking at our destination.

A couple of years ago, I was getting a ring job on the engine, so the dealer gave me a loaner. It was an automatic, of course, and after a week of driving it I was nearly ready to kill someone it annoyed me so much.

It really doesn't take away from my paying attention to other things. And I'm someone who knows if you setup your mirrors correctly, there isn't a blind spot.

Ah, a lot of my friends who drive manual well tell me that it's really second nature after a while and doesn't really take from your concentration. But being a noob at it I really can't see how...lol. Even my best friend, when we were still teens, would rub it in that I couldn't drive manual and she could but then she was driving my (auto) truck one day (a custom S-10, lowered, dual exhaust, changed chip...the works, all my father's work, he was to cars as I am to computers) and she slammed the brake pedal thinking she was hitting the clutch on her Ford Ranger! 'Bout put me through the windshield! Haven't let her live it down in the 20+ years since...lol...I suppose if I'd been made to learn it when I was young, as you were, things would be different but my parents both could drive manual but didn't prefer it so I lucked out.

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
---------------------------------------
'The only way to win is not to play', huh?
Here, hold my beer...

24. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2017, 16:58 Mr. Tact

Rigs wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 15:03:
You would probably have a hell of a good time cruising through Ocala traffic. Gainesville is horrible because it's literally bumper-to-bumper, but in Ocala, it's SR200, which is a 3-4 lane drag strip where the traffic is spread out enough to have some fun. I could never get comfortable driving a stick, I'm ok with the gear-shifting part, it's the clutch part that my brain just isn't wired to understand, I guess. I've tried and tried, even virtually with my G25, I usually try to do manual at first but just give up. I just was never meant to drive manual...lol. I prefer to keep my attention on the road around me anyway.
I was essentially forced into it, initially. My first car was provided to me by my parents, and at the time I could not refuse as I had no other choice. My dad bought me a $500 1968 VW bug, this was in 1980. So, I learned to drive a manual by necessity. These days, I've never had anything but manuals (minus about 12 months) and I handle it practically subconsciously. I have had more than one person comment on their first drive with me that they didn't realize it was a manual drive until either after the ride or when I was parking at our destination.

A couple of years ago, I was getting a ring job on the engine, so the dealer gave me a loaner. It was an automatic, of course, and after a week of driving it I was nearly ready to kill someone it annoyed me so much.

It really doesn't take away from my paying attention to other things. And I'm someone who knows if you setup your mirrors correctly, there isn't a blind spot.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2017, 15:03 Rigs

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 11:45:
*meh* Maybe occasionally I am a little bit of a jerk, but most of the time I am simply driving reasonably and the people who are seriously interested in hurrying screw themselves.

Specifically, if I am slowing down for a red light, and someone thinks they'll be faster by switching from behind me, only to realize they are wrong as I coast by the stopped traffic, which drove at the speed limit until they had to break for the light, and then light changes to green -- allowing me to drive past them because I didn't stop, isn't being much of an asshole...

You would probably have a hell of a good time cruising through Ocala traffic. Gainesville is horrible because it's literally bumper-to-bumper, but in Ocala, it's SR200, which is a 3-4 lane drag strip where the traffic is spread out enough to have some fun. I could never get comfortable driving a stick, I'm ok with the gear-shifting part, it's the clutch part that my brain just isn't wired to understand, I guess. I've tried and tried, even virtually with my G25, I usually try to do manual at first but just give up. I just was never meant to drive manual...lol. I prefer to keep my attention on the road around me anyway. It used to drive me nuts when my ex-wife drove because she'd have to mess with the mirror, the seat, get the cigarette out, mess with the radio, check her phone...it's like, 'Just fucking drive!'. I hardly even talk when I'm driving. I liken it more to flying a Spitfire, my head is always on a swivel! And I know the dimensions of my 2003 Ford Focus (don't laugh!), I know where it can fit and where it can't. This comes in handy when some redneck takes up two spots in the parking lot with his jacked Dodge RAM and I squeeze in-between his Monster Truck tires and the line, just to fuck with his head...

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2017, 11:45 Mr. Tact

*meh* Maybe occasionally I am a little bit of a jerk, but most of the time I am simply driving reasonably and the people who are seriously interested in hurrying screw themselves.

Specifically, if I am slowing down for a red light, and someone thinks they'll be faster by switching from behind me, only to realize they are wrong as I coast by the stopped traffic, which drove at the speed limit until they had to break for the light, and then light changes to green -- allowing me to drive past them because I didn't stop, isn't being much of an asshole...

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2017, 11:23 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 10:22:
I find my driving amusement on my mostly daily iced mocha run. It's about 5.5 miles on a 4 lane cross town thoroughfare with the speed limit varying between 35, 40, and 45. I drive a manual transmission and I pretty much make a game of it to attempt to make the drive without using my brakes. Secondary to that I love to vary my speed just enough to screw lane swappers whenever I can. Nothing brings joy to my heart more than when someone switches lanes behind me to the other lane because I am slowing down via downshifting while approaching a red light. Only to see that same person switch lanes again to be behind me again...
I was taught that driving was something one should take seriously and let others be assholes on the road.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2017, 10:22 Mr. Tact

I find my driving amusement on my mostly daily iced mocha run. It's about 5.5 miles on a 4 lane cross town thoroughfare with the speed limit varying between 35, 40, and 45. I drive a manual transmission and I pretty much make a game of it to attempt to make the drive without using my brakes. Secondary to that I love to vary my speed just enough to screw lane swappers whenever I can. Nothing brings joy to my heart more than when someone switches lanes behind me to the other lane because I am slowing down via downshifting while approaching a red light. Only to see that same person switch lanes again to be behind me again...  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2017, 06:49 jdreyer

Rigs wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 23:44:
1badmf wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 18:00:
Creston wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 17:51:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 15:00:
Zipper Merging in Traffic Seems Rude but Research Shows It Is the Best Approach.

I remember reading an article about this a couple of years ago. Even though I know it's the most efficient way, it still pisses me off when people cut.

I admit I always cut, but unlike 99% of the drooling mouthbreathers here in Tulsa, I can actually drive, so I just coast along the main line waiting for the line to accelerate, then I smoothly slide into one of the inevitable gaps that happens when a line of cars accelerates. Nobody ever has to brake for me or is hindered by me doing this, and yet people still get pissed.

Most of the idiots who "cut", of course, try to merge in when everyone is braking or when everyone is already standing still, thus causing clumps and delays.

MERGE WHEN THE LINE IS EXPANDING, NOT WHEN IT'S CONTRACTING, IDIOTS.

out here in california i think a lot of us came to htis conclusion a long time ago. nobody gives a shit about zipper merges anymore - when a lane shuts down we all just flow to the end until the cones force us to conform. i mean there's always one asshole who has to merge as late as possible, as if forcing his way in between two stopped cars will save him any time vs merging over to faster lanes sooner but it's always fun to give them the stink eye as I flow past that neanderthal that roared past me cuz he thought i was wasting his time by not waiting till i knocked over a couple cones before i merged.

I'm, no doubt, probably a bloke most of you would give the two-step finger-horn to during traffic diving. I'm fine on the highway but get me in a city~ish area with traffic and I turn into 'Baby Driver'. Every two weeks I have to go from my home to Spring Hill, which is a 140-mile drive one-way. Most of it is spent on I-75, which is a battleground of tractor trailers, highway patrol, pricks with BMWs (no offense, Beamer!) and construction with some city driving on either end. It's those bits that I like the most. I think if I was back home in NJ, I might seriously consider becoming a taxi driver in NYC. In another life, I could've been a NASCAR driver but I have to make due with iRacing instead.

=-Rigs-=
Mercedes drivers are the worst. Entitled rich people are the worst assholes.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2017, 23:44 Rigs

1badmf wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 18:00:
Zipper Merging in Traffic Seems Rude but Research Shows It Is the Best Approach.

I remember reading an article about this a couple of years ago. Even though I know it's the most efficient way, it still pisses me off when people cut.

I admit I always cut, but unlike 99% of the drooling mouthbreathers here in Tulsa, I can actually drive, so I just coast along the main line waiting for the line to accelerate, then I smoothly slide into one of the inevitable gaps that happens when a line of cars accelerates. Nobody ever has to brake for me or is hindered by me doing this, and yet people still get pissed.

Most of the idiots who "cut", of course, try to merge in when everyone is braking or when everyone is already standing still, thus causing clumps and delays.

out here in california i think a lot of us came to htis conclusion a long time ago. nobody gives a shit about zipper merges anymore - when a lane shuts down we all just flow to the end until the cones force us to conform. i mean there's always one asshole who has to merge as late as possible, as if forcing his way in between two stopped cars will save him any time vs merging over to faster lanes sooner but it's always fun to give them the stink eye as I flow past that neanderthal that roared past me cuz he thought i was wasting his time by not waiting till i knocked over a couple cones before i merged.

I'm, no doubt, probably a bloke most of you would give the two-step finger-horn to during traffic diving. I'm fine on the highway but get me in a city~ish area with traffic and I turn into 'Baby Driver'. Every two weeks I have to go from my home to Spring Hill, which is a 140-mile drive one-way. Most of it is spent on I-75, which is a battleground of tractor trailers, highway patrol, pricks with BMWs (no offense, Beamer!) and construction with some city driving on either end. It's those bits that I like the most. I think if I was back home in NJ, I might seriously consider becoming a taxi driver in NYC. In another life, I could've been a NASCAR driver but I have to make due with iRacing instead.

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2017, 20:18 Mr. Tact

Lulz, was reading an article on Tesla's problems with the Model 3 and found this juicy tidbit:

"At the current rate of production, it would take nearly 450 years to fulfill existing Model 3 preorders."

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2017, 18:00 1badmf

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2017, 17:54 1badmf

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 17:26:
Ok Blade Runner update:

Made it to the scene where Daryl Hanna get's invited into the apt building of the guy who builds toys/friends and fell asleep. I sorta know how the movie ends (tears in the rain blah blah).
So a co-worker took me to see Blade Runner 2049, and have to say it's still a weird movie, story is a bit easier to follow, but (TO ME) lacks all the cool "Shadowrun" look/feel/vibe, especially on the street level when Decker is eating Chinese food, or chasing down the pleasure replicant. Not quite Sixth Sense deep, but overall a pretty decent flick.

sounds like what i expected - well made film, but it'll never equal the original's mind-blowing vision. but then, who could match a film that created its own genre.

also, sixth sense? deep? we're talking about 'i see dead people' right? i wouldn't call it deep, just clever.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2017, 17:51 Creston

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2017, 17:26 The Half Elf

Ok Blade Runner update:

Made it to the scene where Daryl Hanna get's invited into the apt building of the guy who builds toys/friends and fell asleep. I sorta know how the movie ends (tears in the rain blah blah).
So a co-worker took me to see Blade Runner 2049, and have to say it's still a weird movie, story is a bit easier to follow, but (TO ME) lacks all the cool "Shadowrun" look/feel/vibe, especially on the street level when Decker is eating Chinese food, or chasing down the pleasure replicant. Not quite Sixth Sense deep, but overall a pretty decent flick.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2017, 16:18 RedEye9

http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-alpha-30-out-now-for-testing
Hell had not frozen over but it was supposed to t-shirt weather today.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2017, 15:51 RedEye9

Why do you get pissed off at illegal & dangerous activities.
R U A commie snowflake

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2017, 15:48 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 15:01:
US Traffic Deaths Rise for the Second Year in a Row.

Thanks President Obama.
It is the fault of his economic recovery.
And killing Americans has been part of his foreign born muslim socialist commie agenda since he won his first term by a landslide (tRumpie might look up the meaning of that word)

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2017, 15:01 jdreyer

US Traffic Deaths Rise for the Second Year in a Row.

Thanks Obama.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2017, 15:00 jdreyer

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo