Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens

Origin now offers the promised multiplayer open beta for Star Wars: Battlefront II, the Force-powered action sequel. There's no accompanying post to go along with the downloads, so for details we'll refer back to their announcement about this from July:

What's in the multiplayer beta? You'll be able to experience some of the best of Star Wars Battlefront II across iconic planets and into the far reaches of space. Get set to dive into Naboo: Theed in Galactic Assault. Join Republic clone troopers and Separatist battle droids in a wild melee on the streets surrounding the royal palace, where you'll take control of some of your favorite heroes.

But that's only part of the story. Also included is a multiplayer Starfighter Assault battle (with more details to be revealed at Gamescom), giving you the ability to pilot a variety of the most memorable starfighters from Star Wars™. Keep your eyes open for even more surprises as the beta approaches.

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

54. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 9, 2017, 17:27 Creston

Slick wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 15:57:
I should also point out that the context where i said "it's easy to get heros" I was playing the 8v8 infantry mode, not the 20v20. The big maps I feel useless, but the small one I can control a lot easier, and the heros only cost 3000 not 5000.

I wasn't calling you out specifically, it's a very often heard comment about BF2, especially in previews, and I think it's definitely a bit overblown. It's NOT super easy to get heroes. Like I said, in the few matches I played, I only ever saw a couple per match. On the one hand I kinda dig the change from having to try to get a spawn token, but on the flipside, only actually good players will get to play as heroes now, while the mediocre / bad people will get stuck with 2 shitty classes and two decent / good ones.

Didn't get to try the 8v8 map, didn't even see it in the menu. Doh.
I've uninstalled it, needed the space on my SSD, but I'm definitely hopeful for the SP campaign. If it's good, I'll definitely get this.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 8, 2017, 15:57 Slick

Good feedback Creston, I agree with all of it.

I should also point out that the context where i said "it's easy to get heros" I was playing the 8v8 infantry mode, not the 20v20. The big maps I feel useless, but the small one I can control a lot easier, and the heros only cost 3000 not 5000.

I'm very surprised that I'm enjoying the Starfighter Assault more than any other mode right now, I'm practically sold enough with how fun and arcadey that mode is to warrent the whole game purchase.

With all the space sims lately, I miss a good space arcade shooter. I'm finally getting to grips with the controls, the mechanics, the objectives etc... there's a lot going on.

Still think the FOV is a bit much, but I'm getting used to it.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

52. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 8, 2017, 14:46 jdreyer

Osc8r wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 21:45:
Awesome graphics and sounds... but that's about it.

Definitely better than the last one, but gameplay is still shallow and super repetitive, out of bounds everywhere you walk, and the spawn points are a complete joke i.e. you kill someone and they back in your face 5 seconds later.

I can see why Battle Royal games are taking off now - they offer way more depth and tactics than this mindless team zerging and instant respawning BS.

5 hours was more than enough for me.

Maybe Battlefront will create its own battle royale type game. This seems to be the current trend.

Stay a while, and listen.

51. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 7, 2017, 21:45 Osc8r

Awesome graphics and sounds... but that's about it.

Definitely better than the last one, but gameplay is still shallow and super repetitive, out of bounds everywhere you walk, and the spawn points are a complete joke i.e. you kill someone and they back in your face 5 seconds later.

I can see why Battle Royal games are taking off now - they offer way more depth and tactics than this mindless team zerging and instant respawning BS.

5 hours was more than enough for me.

50. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 7, 2017, 13:54 Creston

Downloading it now. I gotta admit that I WANT this to be awesome, because I badly need some good Star Wars gaming.

Edit : So... eh. I suck badly at the galactic battleground (or whatever it's called) mp part, mostly because I can't figure out why sometimes I can see enemies as outlines through buildings, and other times I can't? So most of the time I wind up getting killed by people I never see.

Then you respawn, which takes 5-10 seconds, followed by 20-30 seconds of running to get back to where you roughly estimate where the action is, 30 seconds of running around trying to find something to shoot or defend, only to get killed again by something quick, and repeat. I guess that's the bane of all mp shooters, but it does seem as if you spend an awful amount of time just waiting and running, rather than fighting. I'm sure that ratio is skewed much better if you're actually good rather than a schlep like me, and I think that's always kind of been the scourge of the Battlefield/front series.

It also seems as if the Naboo map, at least initially, is too large for a 20vs20 match? It seems pretty empty at times. Once you get to the palace part of it the action is far more intense because it's a few small corridors.

Heroes are definitely brutal, especially Darth Maul and the Hero robot, they murder with impunity. But for all the "oh it's so easy to get them" talk, they still cost 3000-5000 BP per use, which really isn't a trivial amount of BP. In the four matches I played I only rarely saw a hero here and there, and it mostly seemed to be the same few players who had them, so it's really not the "Everyone gets heroes!" thing they're trying to make it out to be. Only once did I get close to 3000BP. Though again, I suck.

I tried to do the starfighter one, and there weren't enough players to start it. That doesn't bode well for that mode when even in a free open beta on a Saturday afternoon, nobody is playing it...

The ancillary modes seem alright, arcade was decent fun, and there does seem to be a LOT of stuff to do beside the main mp mode, though most of it is locked away in the beta.

I also really couldn't figure out what the point was of "leveling up?" Does it even get you anything?

In any case, this will rise or fall with the single player for me. If it's a good, meaty 8-10 hour campaign, I can see myself getting this and enjoying it. If it's the typical 5 hour EA shovel affair, then I think there's plenty of other things coming out that I will enjoy more.

I will say this, it played super fucking smooth on High on my ancient-ass rig with a GTX970 at 1080p, and it looks phenomenally gorgeous. I really wish I would have gotten to play the Starfighter battles. Will try again tonight maybe.

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2017, 17:44.

49. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 7, 2017, 09:33 Retired

fawker wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 03:04:
Every time I come to the comments here about the latest AAA release its nothing but complaining.

psst....This is Blues News. Were all the old dudes come to complain about.....HAY YOU LITTLE SHIT GET OFF MY LAWN!

48. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 7, 2017, 06:03 DangerDog

Slick wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 01:28:
So I'll assume that most people commenting haven't actually played the free open beta that's happening right now.

I seem to be the only one who has? You're all talking like cunts throwing spitballs from the cheap seats.

If this game has more than 10k peak players on PC one month after release I'll be amazed.

It's just too shallow to hold my interest, played it for about an hour and have no interest in returning to it. The gameplay is just boring.

best of luck to those that really like the game though.

47. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 7, 2017, 03:07 DarkCntry

Slick wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 01:28:
So I'll assume that most people commenting haven't actually played the free open beta that's happening right now.

I seem to be the only one who has? You're all talking like cunts throwing spitballs from the cheap seats.

Why don't you make a grounded argument based on evidence? instead of just self-fellating philosophical about the musings of corporate hegemony while having zero first-hand experience?

For instance:

They seem to have totally revamped the space combat mode to be the other "main" game mode alongside the 40-man "walker assault" type. And that's doing that mode a disservice, as the map switched halfway from "walker assault" to the other game mode they introduced in the DLC from the first game, cap 1 of X flags to proceed. The Space battles seem to have taken their cues entirely from the "Death Star" DLC from the first game, as they're also multi-stage objective-based games that feel like they have a real progression.

Unfortunately, FoV in space is 12, and seems to be unchangeable. This is totally unacceptable and makes me want to puke. I don't know what to make of this if it's unchangeable on release. It's a possible deal breaker.

The space combat is far better than the original, as there's no "lock on" mechanic that I've found for your main laser guns. Instead, you have a circle reticule that leads your target similar to other space-sims, so you actually have to land shots, and you can, at range, with no assists. It feels much more satisfying.
I've played it for a few hours...space combat still seems too floaty for me.

As for the progression system...I really wish it wasn't in there, but at least it is better than Battlefield 1's...I just really don't like the star card system for upgrades instead of just side-grades.

christheshitter wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 02:24:
F*ck this game. Can't phantom why everyone here drools over this piece of garbage. It looks, handles and plays like shit.

You guys must be going on drugs or something.
It must be a menace to your sensibilities that there might be things out there that other people like and you don't..

Also, the word you're looking for is fathom.

46. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 7, 2017, 03:04 fawker

Every time I come to the comments here about the latest AAA release its nothing but complaining.  

45. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 7, 2017, 02:24 christheshitter

F*ck this game. Can't phantom why everyone here drools over this piece of garbage. It looks, handles and plays like shit.

You guys must be going on drugs or something.

44. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 7, 2017, 01:28 Slick

Why don't you make a grounded argument based on evidence? instead of just self-fellating philosophical about the musings of corporate hegemony while having zero first-hand experience?

For instance:

They seem to have totally revamped the space combat mode to be the other "main" game mode alongside the 40-man "walker assault" type. And that's doing that mode a disservice, as the map switched halfway from "walker assault" to the other game mode they introduced in the DLC from the first game, cap 1 of X flags to proceed. The Space battles seem to have taken their cues entirely from the "Death Star" DLC from the first game, as they're also multi-stage objective-based games that feel like they have a real progression.

Unfortunately, FoV in space is 12, and seems to be unchangeable. This is totally unacceptable and makes me want to puke. I don't know what to make of this if it's unchangeable on release. It's a possible deal breaker.

The space combat is far better than the original, as there's no "lock on" mechanic that I've found for your main laser guns. Instead, you have a circle reticule that leads your target similar to other space-sims, so you actually have to land shots, and you can, at range, with no assists. It feels much more satisfying.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

43. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 7, 2017, 01:25 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 01:18:
rawbelly wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 22:09:
Can't even motivate myself to click the Origin shortcut. Whatever

I'm DLing right now, and here's one thing Origin does better than Steam: it deprioritizes its network traffic to allow me to actually use my internet for things while Battlefront downloads in the background. Steam on the other hand, sucks up all available bandwidth, tanking the system.
Heck, my torrent program even releases network priority when I start surfing while downloading.
But to tell you the truth I would rather get the game down sooner with steam and wish the tor program would keep priority higher.
I guess it would be different if i was trying to watch sumthin though.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

42. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 7, 2017, 01:18 jdreyer

rawbelly wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 22:09:

I'm DLing right now, and here's one thing Origin does better than Steam: it deprioritizes its network traffic to allow me to actually use my internet for things while Battlefront downloads in the background. Steam on the other hand, sucks up all available bandwidth, tanking the system.

41. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 7, 2017, 01:16 jdreyer

DangerDog wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 22:49:
This is what happens when you turn community managers bean counters into game designers.
Fixed.

It's just like that Steve Jobs interview clip where the marketing people end up calling the shots. DICE obviously has way too many butt kissers completely afraid for their job to say "your work is shit".
I really don't think the devs are to blame here. They simply have no control to make decisions. If you want to blame someone, blame the C-level execs who are prioritizing profits over art and fun.

40. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 6, 2017, 22:49 DangerDog

This is what happens when you turn community managers into game designers.

It's just like that Steve Jobs interview clip where the marketing people end up calling the shots. DICE obviously has way too many butt kissers completely afraid for their job to say "your work is shit".

39. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 6, 2017, 22:09 rawbelly

38. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 6, 2017, 20:23 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 19:48:
Slick wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 18:17:
thecakeisalie wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 18:04:
The microtransactions and getting fucked over in the first game make this a "no buy GI" game for me.

I'm glad that "getting fucked over" in the first game is a reason to hate the second game, where they seem to have fixed most of the complaints from the first...

You just can't please some people...

Once bitten, twice shy.
i remember somebody having a pissy-fit because a game was made that had the same name as a game made 10 years before. This shit is serious man.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

37. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 6, 2017, 19:48 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 18:17:
thecakeisalie wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 18:04:
The microtransactions and getting fucked over in the first game make this a "no buy GI" game for me.

I'm glad that "getting fucked over" in the first game is a reason to hate the second game, where they seem to have fixed most of the complaints from the first...

You just can't please some people...

Once bitten, twice shy.

36. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 6, 2017, 19:17 Slick

Man, getting these battle points is super easy, I can get a top tier hero within 2 lives pretty consistently.  

35. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 6, 2017, 19:13 Slick

I bumped it from 1.000 to 1.6000 and it's a bit too wide now, but a LOT better, 1.4-1.5 is the sweetspot for me.

and 55 vertical is soooooo narrow, even if that does equate to 85 hor. I normally play at 85 ver.

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo