Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2017, 20:32 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 20:14:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 20:11:
That guy Musk, what does he know? He hasn't even run a successful business!!11
I see what you did there with the 11 at the end.
It's an illuminati signal to file chapter 11.
Sneaky jd, very sneaky.

Drat! Foiled again!11

Stay a while, and listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2017, 20:28 jdreyer

Flatline wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 16:23:
Cutter wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 15:16:
I'm sure they could do it but how long would it take and what would it cost? If another hurricane comes through it'll just destroy all the solar panels anyway. JD has the right of it. In places like that you need to do utilities underground.

Well, the distribution grid probably needs to be underground. Although if it goes wrong it's harder and slower to repair at that point than above-ground apparently. It's not exactly just an upgrade over above-ground power.

Power generation is going to be above ground regardless. And Kauai is running almost entirely off of Tesla/Solar City solar right now so it probably is possible. It dropped the power rates from 30 cents per kw/h down to 11. Massive win all around.

The key with solar is that you can do smaller scale deployments relatively quickly. Instead of 6 months, you could feasibly get a hospital online in weeks let's say.

As for the panels getting blown away, *shrugs*. A warehouse full of them to replace whatever gets blown away is not a huge deal.

Tesla quietly partnered with So Cal Edison to develop something like an 80 Mw/h battery outside of LA to provide backup power for usage spikes and brownouts and stuff. 80Mw/h might be enough of a battery pack for all of Puerto Rico. You just need something, anything, to charge it.
Well Kaua'i is only 40% renewable, and not expected to get to 100% until 2045. It's also got only 2% of Puerto Rico s population. On the other hand, they are upgrading to renewables in a non disruptive way. Since Puerto Rico is basically starting from scratch, it makes sense to get as much renewables in place as possible.

As for solar panels blowing away, I bet you could pretty easily build a solar panel that can be designed to lie flat and locked down if a hurricane is forecast.

22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2017, 20:14 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 20:11:
I see what you did there with the 11 at the end.
It's an illuminati signal to file chapter 11.
Sneaky jd, very sneaky.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2017, 20:11 jdreyer

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2017, 18:03 RedEye9

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 16:52:
Not to mention the corrupt public officials that have blocked so much of the rebuild.
Please post your source for that, oh wait, you can't because there is none.
At a time when everything that happens in Puerto Rico will be scrutinized down to the atom you think the officials are blocking the rebuild.
Even the dotus waived the Jones act for 10 days, if tRump is the corruption you mean then i stand corrected.

Edit: donni just now found out that P.R. is an island and may waive the Jones Act for a longer period being as P.R. is surrounded by big water.

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2017, 17:54 Mordecai Walfish

"winkyface!"  

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2017, 17:49 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 17:39:
WaltC wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 17:31:
Musk is a big ideas man. He does not bother himself with details, like the island is already essentially bankrupt and like multiple people have mentioned the distribution system must be rebuilt. Not to mention the corrupt public officials that have blocked so much of the rebuild.

Good luck with that Elon.

More like a big con man...;) I've been amazed to see Musk "coming up" with idea after idea taken straight from 1950's and 60's "B" sci-fi...;) And it's all to pitch for more government loan guarantees...Musk is just the resident version of Solyndra who unfortunately won't go away...;) Just more fallout from the Obama administration's nuking of America.

Look, another guy that believes electricity powers the sun!
LOLOLOL

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2017, 17:39 Beamer

WaltC wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 17:31:
Musk is a big ideas man. He does not bother himself with details, like the island is already essentially bankrupt and like multiple people have mentioned the distribution system must be rebuilt. Not to mention the corrupt public officials that have blocked so much of the rebuild.

More like a big con man...;) I've been amazed to see Musk "coming up" with idea after idea taken straight from 1950's and 60's "B" sci-fi...;) And it's all to pitch for more government loan guarantees...Musk is just the resident version of Solyndra who unfortunately won't go away...;) Just more fallout from the Obama administration's nuking of America.

Look, another guy that believes electricity powers the sun!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2017, 17:31 WaltC

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2017, 16:52 Ozmodan

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2017, 16:41 Creston

Yeah, I'm sure they COULD, I mean, technically we could probably put the entire US on solar and batteries.

I'm sure the people of Puerto Rico would rather have power back in the next ten years, though, Elon. They may not want to wait for your Gigafactory to create enough batteries for an entire nation of 3.41 million people.

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2017, 16:23 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 15:16:
I'm sure they could do it but how long would it take and what would it cost? If another hurricane comes through it'll just destroy all the solar panels anyway. JD has the right of it. In places like that you need to do utilities underground.

Well, the distribution grid probably needs to be underground. Although if it goes wrong it's harder and slower to repair at that point than above-ground apparently. It's not exactly just an upgrade over above-ground power.

Power generation is going to be above ground regardless. And Kauai is running almost entirely off of Tesla/Solar City solar right now so it probably is possible. It dropped the power rates from 30 cents per kw/h down to 11. Massive win all around.

The key with solar is that you can do smaller scale deployments relatively quickly. Instead of 6 months, you could feasibly get a hospital online in weeks let's say.

As for the panels getting blown away, *shrugs*. A warehouse full of them to replace whatever gets blown away is not a huge deal.

Tesla quietly partnered with So Cal Edison to develop something like an 80 Mw/h battery outside of LA to provide backup power for usage spikes and brownouts and stuff. 80Mw/h might be enough of a battery pack for all of Puerto Rico. You just need something, anything, to charge it.

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2017, 15:16 Cutter

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2017, 14:12 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 14:00:
edaciousx wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 12:47:
Rhett wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 12:22:
Nevermind the press that clean energy would get.

But no, Trump, you give those reporters some free paper towels.

sounds like you're a little sad you didnt' get any free paper towels.

No, I'm sad that I didn't get any paper towels TOUCHED BY TRUMP. I could make a killing selling those to Trumpsters on eBay.
Who knew there'd be a market for soiled paper towels.
Maybe next time he'll hand sanitizer.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2017, 14:00 jdreyer

edaciousx wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 12:47:

No, I'm sad that I didn't get any paper towels TOUCHED BY TRUMP. I could make a killing selling those to Trumpsters on eBay.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2017, 13:58 loomy

they've thought of all this you guys  

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2017, 12:50 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 11:56:
Regardless of how they generate electricity in Puerto Rico, they still have to rebuild the distribution system and make it robust enough to survive another hurricane. Like by burying power lines. Still, it would be a cool proof of concept if they did the whole island in solar.

Yeah I think Elon is getting ahead of himself here. He's thinking solely of supply and forgetting distribution.

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2017, 12:47 edaciousx

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2017, 12:46 UttiniDaKilrJawa

Would be awesome if they give this a shot. Whether they succeed fully or only partially a whole lot could be learned in regards to large scale solar power generation.  

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2017, 12:22 Rhett

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo